Cursed Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Another possibility for it to disable stop/start is the internal temp of the vehicle. If it is trying to make you comfortable in the car, then the engine will stay running. So, if it is cold outside and trying to warm up, or warm outside and trying to cool down, then it will stay running at stops.
Yes, I do agree. But in those situations it says "Disabled due to outside air temperature" or "disabled during climate control" so it is just mind-boggling
Sponsored

Cursed Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
It may be that you are not stepping hard enough on the brake pedal. More here:

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/another-interesting-idiosyncrasy.10225/
Interesting, so this happened with auto-hold? I use auto-hold and it will engage hard enough to hold but not turn off. I have noticed randomly sometimes if I push it harder, it will shut off. This is usually because I didn't press hard enough for auto-hold and then got frustrated and hit it a bit harder to make it hold, then it immediately shuts off.

I never thought much about it because it made sense it wouldn't shut off if auto hold wasn't engaged, but I never thought about the pedal modulation anymore than beyond the simple soft press to not engage auto hold. You are a bit of a wizard, mark.

P.S. I did find out about the little tap to restart the engine but not disengage auto-hold :cwl:

rms34208

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape 2013 SEL
Trips like that are great for battery tender. Also if the vehicle sits for a while. My BS can sit in the garage for two weeks or more without use. I use one.
Another issue with short trips is condensation in the oil. Change it more often.
Thanks, Most definitely agree on frequent oil changes most likely 4000 or less and Full Synthetic. There are several you tube videos on the subject of frequent oil change intervals. This 1.5 Ltr is powerful but the Turbo and direct injection create lots of heat degradation of the oil and us that do short trips build up carbon.

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
Thanks, Most definitely agree on frequent oil changes most likely 4000 or less and Full Synthetic. There are several you tube videos on the subject of frequent oil change intervals. This 1.5 Ltr is powerful but the Turbo and direct injection create lots of heat degradation of the oil and us that do short trips build up carbon.
I do one a year changes with full synthetic which is usually around 4K miles.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Interesting, so this happened with auto-hold? I use auto-hold and it will engage hard enough to hold but not turn off.
Yup, that's it exactly; auto hold engages preventing the car from moving, but I have to step harder on the pedal to get auto stop/start to engage and shut down the engine.

You are a bit of a wizard, mark.

P.S. I did find out about the little tap to restart the engine but not disengage auto-hold :cwl:
If you think this is wizardry, try this: Instead of lightly tapping on the gas pedal to restart the engine, just give a slight turn of your steering wheel. The power steering is electric, and it won't function without the engine running. If you try to turn the wheel while the engine is shut down by the auto stop/start system the engine will immediately restart.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51

kshaw

Outer Banks
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport;350Z;Hybrid Escape
Has anyone purchased or explored the Battery Tenders or related products as to does a trickle charger help maintain the 12 volt battery for us that make short trips and don,t always drive longer distances often enough to fully recharge the system?
I use an older version of the Battery Minder like this one: https://www.amazon.com/BatteryMinder-128CEC1-Charger-Maintainer-Desulfator-Motorcycles-Snowmobiles/dp/B01D3SWXUA/ref=sr_1_8?adgrpid=1340305239361017&hvadid=83769420648116&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=51806&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvtargid=kwd-83769427037143:loc-190&hydadcr=7481_13291164&keywords=batteryminder&qid=1705948443&sr=8-8&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0
Battery minder sells less expensive models than this one but I would not go lower than their 2 amp model.

burned clutch

Big Bend
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco sport
My 2022 Big Bend Baby Bronco has 21K miles, and two days ago it gave me a warning beeping when I exited. It took a bit, but I noticed a little A on the dash with a slash, so I figured out it was the auto stop / start not working. On a 400 mile trip yesterday, it worked for a while but didn't on the drive home.
Is it possible that it shuts down this feature if the battery is slightly low? It should have been well charged on the trip, even in the dark.
I don't like the feature, so I'm not bummed that it doesn't work, but I'm a bit concerned that such a new vehicle
i believe mine is at times intermittent due to either air conditioner running or heater /defrost working as the engine rpm etc . due to engine load. also once i stop and ) auto stop turns car off , if i continue to do stop and go if i dont reach a certain distance or speed (creeping along because of backed up at stop sign or fast food drivethru) it wont work again after releasing brake. and obviously only works in eco mode. just my thoughts

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Definitely does it less in cold weather. Once it warms up outdoors, it will go back to shutting off and on more frequently unless it’s too hot then it hibernates again!

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Auto start stop will function with auto hold, you need to hit the gas pedal and the vehicle will restart and go.

When my Badlands wouldn't initially restart after taking my foot off the brake pedal. I thought I was having issues with auto start stop, turned out the auto hold was on. After turning off auto hold, auto start stop functioned normally.

Cursed Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
If you think this is wizardry, try this: Instead of lightly tapping on the gas pedal to restart the engine, just give a slight turn of your steering wheel. The power steering is electric, and it won't function without the engine running. If you try to turn the wheel while the engine is shut down by the auto stop/start system the engine will immediately restart.
Interesting. I wonder if the steering wheel position has any effect on the engaging of auto start/stop/ I swear up and down it won't turn off if the wheels are turned. (sitting in traffic while changing lanes, etc.) I have noticed if my wheel is turned it doesn't turn off, but that may be confirmation bias of my theory. I haven't thought about the degree to which I have pressed the brake pedal, though, in that scenario.

sholescurtis

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
For all those "hating" the auto-start/stop function, try the Auto Start-Stop Eliminator. I've used them on 3 different cars and works like a champ. No need to press the defeat button every time. Easy to install - just plug in-line to OBD port with existing connectors. I'm sure there have been other posts on it.
https://www.autostopeliminator.com/collections/ford/products/2021-ford-bronco-sport-autostop-eliminator
Love mine! Best thing I took from this forum was that suggestion! I hate that feature and I think it’s just another idiotic idea to wear down the mechanisms of the vehicle or cause problems later.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I like the auto start stop feature, when functioning correctly it's practically transparent.

When my battery was on it's way out my auto start stop functioned intermittently and eventually stopped working all together. I would get the dash message auto start stop not available due to vehicle charging.
I had my battery replaced under warranty and auto start stop was back and functioning normally.

Chiefthepup

Big Bend
First Name
Colt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
If you scroll down in the display menu when the auto stop is not active it should say its because ”the battery is charging”. I believe this happens more as the battery ages but not necessarily because the battery is bad.
I had no clue you can see on the display menu why it isn’t engaging. When you say scroll down is it to a specific menu or it just comes up when scrolling down?

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
Synthetic oils are designed to withstand heat, and do not require such frequent oil changes. Trust the oil change monitor Ford has (and spent quite a bit of time designing spending time and miles)and change when it says to change. Otherwise you are wasting money needlessly.
Sponsored