Auto start a little kick in the pants

Monkey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, F-350, a Tesla, and more...
The best solution to this is Forscan. You can just flip the default value of the AtuoStart switch to off instead of on. The vehicle knows it’s switched off, or on, so it’s not being tricked in any way. Switch still works and turns AutoStart on/off as you wish and you don’t have to tear the dash apart to install something.

That said, the Auto Start/Stop in my BS Badlands is like unnoticeable so far. Don’t feel the need to change it.

I really wish Ford would make the vehicle retain settings for AutoStart and the various drive modes between shut-downs. I own and have driven other cars that retain such settings. This is probably my biggest complaint about my Fords.
Sponsored

MoFoCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit 250, VW eGolf, 2021 Badlands
You can get around this by just hitting the engine stop button, it will automatically shift into park for you.
OK that’s crazy. I figured it was all electronic...but there’s a little motor that physically turns the knob back to P. WOW!

Thanks, I never would have thought of this.

JEspey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Our BL is our fifth vehicle with the auto start stop feature, (BMW, Mini, Edge and Jeep Wrangler Rubicon) and it works as smooth or smoother than the others. I’ve learned to turn it off in those places where I’m going to stop for just a few seconds, and leave it on where the stoplight is usually longer. And I turn it off if I’m running the a/c because it restarts the engine after just a few seconds.

My wife hates the feature so she just turns it off when she starts her Jeep or my BL.

Black Horse

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2009 F250, 1999 Mustang Cobra
You will definitely notice the "jump" with a 3-cyl. The restart does not use the starter, rather the crank position knows what cylinder to fire next and bam....away you go. That's why when you sit for a long period of time with your foot on the brake it will restart anyway.

o0260o

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BroncoSport
You will definitely notice the "jump" with a 3-cyl. The restart does not use the starter, rather the crank position knows what cylinder to fire next and bam....away you go. That's why when you sit for a long period of time with your foot on the brake it will restart anyway.
Damn that's clever! So does this mean we don't have to worry about wearing out the starter motor? How about the battery?

Carl h

Big Bend
First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I have autostart on both my 2017 F-150 and my bs bb. On the bronco, it feels like a subtle kick in the pants. First time it happened I had to look in the rear view mirror. The F-150 is silky soft. Has anyone else noticed this or is it the way it is.
Auto start stop has to be the most ridiculous feature i have ever seen. I disable it the first second I get in. A total terrible feature. Will be buying a kit to disable permanently yuck.