Auto start a little kick in the pants

Backpackster

Big Bend
First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
I have autostart on both my 2017 F-150 and my bs bb. On the bronco, it feels like a subtle kick in the pants. First time it happened I had to look in the rear view mirror. The F-150 is silky soft. Has anyone else noticed this or is it the way it is.

Advertisement

Area51

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
’21 Badlands, ’08 Ranger 4x4, ’16 Focus ST
I wonder if it's because it's because of the cylinder count, three or four compared to six or eight. The first couple times our 2.0L Badlands auto-started it surprised me with its little shudder as it started. The first time it shut down I thought the engine had died—well, it had, but on purpose. I've only driven the Badlands two or three times so far but I think I'll get used to that.

Ponds

First Edition
First Name
Tom
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Escape
I wonder if it's because it's because of the cylinder count, three or four compared to six or eight. The first couple times our 2.0L Badlands auto-started it surprised me with its little shudder as it started. The first time it shut down I thought the engine had died—well, it had, but on purpose. I've only driven the Badlands two or three times so far but I think I'll get used to that.
You’ll get to the point where you don’t notice it at all. Well, at least with a 2017 Escape I’ve had for over 3 years. It was my biggest concern before buying it and hasn’t caused any issues. I’d bet that it’ll be the same for my BS once I finally take delivery.

Area51

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
’21 Badlands, ’08 Ranger 4x4, ’16 Focus ST
You’ll get to the point where you don’t notice it at all. Well, at least with a 2017 Escape I’ve had for over 3 years. It was my biggest concern before buying it and hasn’t caused any issues. I’d bet that it’ll be the same for my BS once I finally take delivery.
I think you're right, having driven it more today I hardly notice it now.

wilbur_xmas

Outer Banks
First Name
Will
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I have autostart on both my 2017 F-150 and my bs bb. On the bronco, it feels like a subtle kick in the pants. First time it happened I had to look in the rear view mirror. The F-150 is silky soft. Has anyone else noticed this or is it the way it is.
Ours gives a kick in the pants for sure, feels like it tries to jump forward a bit. This only happens when stopped at a light long enough that the engine restarts while still fully stopped and foot firm on the brake. In other circumstances when you are lifting off the brake it is very subtle.

Advertisement