Anyone pulling camper?

Pete_72

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
I'll be pulling my Starcraft Constellation popup camper. Sleeps 6 and has a combo chemical toilet and shower. Weight is under 1600 lbs. Even adding bedding and water it is under 2000 lbs.
We’re looking at the Bronco Sport and was wondering how it would tow a small trailer. Any problems with sway or stopping? The trailer with atv and extra fuel thatwe would tow is around 2k
Sponsored

BobH

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Miata GT 97 f150 21 BS BL
We’re looking at the Bronco Sport and was wondering how it would tow a small trailer. Any problems with sway or stopping? The trailer with atv and extra fuel thatwe would tow is around 2k
Shouldn't be a problem. If you order your BS with a factory hitch, sway control is part of the package. Braking should be the same as any vehicle in it's weight class,

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Shouldn't be a problem. If you order your BS with a factory hitch, sway control is part of the package. Braking should be the same as any vehicle in it's weight class,
Sway control is standard in badlands and First editon; I don't have the factory towing package but I do have the sway control. (Turned it off upon setup of truck since hitch isn't installed yet)
Got the wire harness from ford; hitch from curt and I'm ready to tow my utv for some fun adventures

Deleted member 2781

You're really limited with campers, and I agree with whoever set forget it if you're looking for a bathroom.

There are PLENTY of teardrop/squaredrop options out there the sports can haul (and plenty they cannot). Many of these are hand built, and built to order and there are 12 month waiting lists. Mass-produced campers are a lot cheaper, and much lower quality but there are options, like the Coachmen Clipper/Viking 9.0 TD.

And that Sylvansport Go is a REAL interesting camper. Anything can haul that thing. And it's so versatile - raise the tent part and you can haul bikes, dirtbikes, extra cargo, etc under it. Or through a rack on top of the tent part and put bikes or kayaks up there. I've been following that awhile and people really seem to like it. My problem is it's still a tent. I have lots of tents. Really good ones, too. If I decide to pull the trigger on towing something, it will probably be hard-sided and insulated. I'd love a Boreas XT, but I'd have to win the lottery because that costs almost as much as my loaded sport.

Also check out Polydrops - their teardrop is very lightweight. Looks like a lunar lander or something. It's actually quite nice and is very well insulated. They offer a lower-end model now without all the extras (like a galley).

MoFoCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit 250, VW eGolf, 2021 Badlands
A small cargo trailer conversion is a good option because you can load it up with as little or as much as you want and control the weight. A 5x8 can be a great little camper with nothing more than a couple cots, a porta potty, and an Aquatainer and be well below the tow rating. If you’re not handy you can get windows and vent fans installed by the dealer.

Blackomne

Base
First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Broncos sport
I was looking at the helio O2. Heliovr.com. It sleeps two, Queen bed, has a bathroom, burners, sink, screen door, microwave, and fridge. The optional packages have heat, AC, solar charging and an awning. 1500 lb dry. There's a dealer in Denver kind of close.

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
I was looking at the helio O2. Heliovr.com. It sleeps two, Queen bed, has a bathroom, burners, sink, screen door, microwave, and fridge. The optional packages have heat, AC, solar charging and an awning. 1500 lb dry. There's a dealer in Denver kind of close.
That looks nice without breaking the bank.

Slewis95407

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2020 Sylvansport Go, 2012 Focus
I think I am going to go with the Sylvansport Go. Love the size and multi-purpose.
I've been towing a Sylvansport Go for a year behind a 2017 Escape and now behind my Bronco. Don't know it is there most of the time. The go is a utility trailer, toy hauler and pop up camper trailer. Go weighs 840 lbs. dry.

Ford Bronco Sport Anyone pulling camper? 0607211335a

Last edited:

Kachadurian

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Fiat 500
I had a Coleman Toas. Slept 4 easily, 900lbs empty, but no bathroom. There's lots of pop-ups that are light enough, you can stow that much gear in a pop-up bit the BS should be big enough to hold all your gear. I pulled it with a Saturn SL (1500lbs max tow), all the gear for a family of 4 with no trouble.

Kachadurian

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Fiat 500
The most you can tow is 2200 lbs. (2000 with the 1.5 engine). You might find a lightweight pop up or small teardrop but the only reason to order a Sport with a hitch is to get a full size spare tire. Sadly it really wasn't meant to tow much more than a small utility trailer.
You can tow many things under 2,000 pounds, Fishing boats, utility trailers, pop-ups, jet skis.

OP
OP

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
I've been towing a Sylvansport Go for a year behind a 2017 Escape and now behind my Bronco. Don't know it is there most of the time. The go is a utility trailer, toy hauler and pop up camper trailer. Go weighs 840 lbs. dry.

Ford Bronco Sport Anyone pulling camper? 0607211335a
Do you use any portable air/heat system? I am thinking about getting one of these for the family but want to make it more comfortable.
Sponsored