Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
Sombody here gave some great advice one time that answers a lot of the questions asked. So I think the time has come to mention it again. Read the owners manual. Boring yes. A page turner maybe not. But informative. I even did it.
Sponsored

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands

Sleddog

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Cactus Grey.
I always read the full manual. Usually before I purchase. I like to be informed so I can test everything before I leave the dealer.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
and they thought Catcher In The Rye was spicy

Ford Bronco Sport A real page turner: Owner's Manual 1684288641694
That is how Iā€™ve always done it. If you do it into gear, youā€™re just an animal.

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I will read an owners manual when:
1) I am smart enough to understand a word of it
2) when I look under the hood

And to clarify, 1 is impossible as it all goes over my head and 2 has not happened in 50 years nor will it happen in the next 50.

BUT, I do appreciate those who read it and I like being friends with you.

Last edited:

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke
It's available through FordPass on your phone.

I also downloaded it and the Escape owner's manual from Ford's website to my phone and laptop.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Iā€™m an RTFM guy (& left a TL;DR worthy post in the other thread). The electronic versions are quite helpful to be able to zoom in & read it easier for those of us with aging eyes now. Theyā€™re easy to search. But theyā€™re still ultimately a scanned PDF version of the paper book.

What Iā€™d hope they do one day is cut the manual down to size by getting rid of the ā€˜if so equippedā€™ sections & make it specific to my actual vehicle. Surely that can happen when they donā€™t have to physically print it any longer. More relevancy with better explanation of how to actually use the software features (Iā€™m still pretty certain most know how to do up seatbelts, but the manual will always have to cover that) would go along ways I think towards getting people to read it.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Here's my pitch for owner's manuals. During WWII aviator Charles Lindbergh was forbidden from serving in the military by FDR due to pro-Nazi statements he made in support of U.S. isolationism. But he was still able to "get in the fight" flying a P-38 Lightning in the South Pacific as a "civilian technical representative." When Army leadership found out he was flying combat patrol missions with USAAF unit they demanded he stop flying altogether.

Lindbergh had taught the pilots in the unit he was flying with how to drastically reduce fuel use and increase flight time from six hours to ten. At Lindbergh's request, those pilots suggested to leadership that his techniques should be taught to ALL units operating in the theater; increasing combat flight time for an aircraft is of great strategic and tactical value, and thus Lindbergh was allowed to continue flying.

Here's the kicker: Lindbergh didn't know anything more about the aircraft and engines than the pilots flying them. He read about the fuel saving technique in the manufacturer's technical manual and used it on his flight from the U.S. mainland to the bases in the South Pacific. He was simply teaching the Army pilots to READ THE MANUAL.

IdahoDirtFarmer

Big Bend
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 ordered '23 sport
I miss the old days when the manual had more useful stuff than obvious safety crap for Darwin award winners. Hell the manual for my Willys wagon has an entire section on using it to plow a field.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
What Iā€™d hope they do one day is cut the manual down to size by getting rid of the ā€˜if so equippedā€™ sections & make it specific to my actual vehicle. Surely that can happen when they donā€™t have to physically print it any longer. More relevancy with better explanation of how to actually use the software features (Iā€™m still pretty certain most know how to do up seatbelts, but the manual will always have to cover that) would go along ways I think towards getting people to read it.
Yup, this should be fairly easy. The tech writing tools available today allow users to very easily include/exclude content. It would be child's play to set up a system to do so based on a vehicle's equipment list, which is already produced for the window sticker.

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
What Iā€™d hope they do one day is cut the manual down to size by getting rid of the ā€˜if so equippedā€™ sections & make it specific to my actual vehicle. Surely that can happen when they donā€™t have to physically print it any longer.
you might float that idea by Ford
seems easy enough to apply filters
or cut to the chase - VIN
presto
your refined manual
would seem to upscale the product with little effort
Are you paying attention Ford?
many, many years ago
Kong family seated around kitchen table
dessert
jello
maybe a little whipped cream on top
Mrs Kong asks why they don't put vitamin C in Jello?
Mrs Kong being of the direct approach type takes matters into own hands
if you would
please hand me that phone
calls customer service line
why no vitamin C?????
few years later.........
"Now With Vitamin C"
we'll always wonder about that one

CrazyKZ

Badlands
First Name
Ken