5/23/2024: Recall 24S24 on hold (as of 5/24/2024 hold is lifted)

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
For those of you that already had Recall 24S24 completed on your vehicle, you may want to call your dealership and find out if you need to be reverted back.

At least one dealership stated ”Ford is having issues with the cars after this update”.

EDIT: 5/24/2024 update, “My dealer said as of today (May 24 2024) the program has been resumed.” … contact your dealership for up-to-date information.

Reminder, this is what Recall 24S24 applies to:

Recall 24S24 is for the BCM/PCM Calibrations:

NHTSA Part 573 Safety Recall Report 24V-267
Date: APR 12, 2024
Ford Recall #: 24S24
Affects: 2021-2024 Ford Bronco Sport built through March 13, 2024
Number of vehicles potentially involved: 456,565
Estimated percentage with defect: 100%
Also affects 2021-2023 Maverick

Description of Defect: An insufficient calibration strategy for detecting sudden battery degradations during a drive cycle can lead to (a) a vehicle that is unable to restart after an auto start/stop event or (b) experience a stall while coming to a stop at low speed. Either may be accompanied by a loss of 12-volt accessories, including hazard lights.

Owner notification letters to be mailed after May 13, 2024.

Additional information here.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2024/RCLRPT-24V267-6161.PDF

2024-05-20 Update:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2024/RCMN-24V267-9251.pdf

Ford Bronco Sport 5/23/2024: Recall 24S24 on hold (as of 5/24/2024 hold is lifted) IMG_4381
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
For those of you that already had Recall 24S24 completed on your vehicle, you may want to call your dealership and find out if you need to be reverted back.

At least one dealership stated ”Ford is having issues with the cars after this update”.

EDIT: 5/24/2024 update, “My dealer said as of today (May 24 2024) the program has been resumed.” … contact your dealership for up-to-date information.

Reminder, this is what Recall 24S24 applies to:

Recall 24S24 is for the BCM/PCM Calibrations:

NHTSA Part 573 Safety Recall Report 24V-267
Date: APR 12, 2024
Ford Recall #: 24S24
Affects: 2021-2024 Ford Bronco Sport built through March 13, 2024
Number of vehicles potentially involved: 456,565
Estimated percentage with defect: 100%
Also affects 2021-2023 Maverick

Description of Defect: An insufficient calibration strategy for detecting sudden battery degradations during a drive cycle can lead to (a) a vehicle that is unable to restart after an auto start/stop event or (b) experience a stall while coming to a stop at low speed. Either may be accompanied by a loss of 12-volt accessories, including hazard lights.

Owner notification letters to be mailed after May 13, 2024.

Additional information here.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2024/RCLRPT-24V267-6161.PDF

2024-05-20 Update:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2024/RCMN-24V267-9251.pdf

Ford Bronco Sport 5/23/2024: Recall 24S24 on hold (as of 5/24/2024 hold is lifted) IMG_4381
The reason I didn't want to be an early adopter of this recall. Think I'll wait awhile. I think the units that were shipped with lead acid batteries are more susceptible to this problem.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
The reason I didn't want to be an early adopter of this recall. Think I'll wait awhile. I think the units that were shipped with lead acid batteries are more susceptible to this problem.
Given Ford’s recent history with recalls, a wait-and-see approach might be smart. Typical lead-acid batteries do not recharge as fast as AGM, so if the issue is indeed a low recharge voltage provided by the alternator (as implied by the text of the recall) then an AGM battery should be less susceptible to complete discharge.

One suggestion: If you DO choose to wait consider using a battery charger, especially if you take frequent short drives. I believe starting out with a fully charged battery is the best way to avoid a sudden loss of electrical power due to this issue.

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Given Ford’s recent history with recalls, a wait-and-see approach might be smart. Typical lead-acid batteries do not recharge as fast as AGM, so if the issue is indeed a low recharge voltage provided by the alternator (as implied by the text of the recall) then an AGM battery should be less susceptible to complete discharge.

One suggestion: If you DO choose to wait consider using a battery charger, especially if you take frequent short drives. I believe starting out with a fully charged battery is the best way to avoid a sudden loss of electrical power due to this issue.
Yes, and turn off the start/stop when you get in the vehicle. At least if you're stranded you won't be in a stop light.

BravoAlpha

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Expedition MAX Silverado Z71
Greeeaaattt

mine just got done Yesterday. Damned if you do damned if you don’t!

I don’t live in fear. I’m a happy BS owner still. All will be good.

Last edited:

Big Ben

Big Bend
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport

Absolutely. I have used an onboard battery maintainer for years. They extend battery life for years on new vehicles that have a constant drain even whenparked.

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's

and the early BSs came from Ford with an AGM battery.

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Not my 2021. It came with a Motorcraft FLA battery that was replaced last year with an AGM.

Maybe replaced because of the calibration issue causing problems with holding a charge.

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands
On last night's Long McArthur Ford's Members' Live YouTube, Tim Bartz (Internet Sales Manager at Long McArthur Ford in Salina KS), verified that the 24S24 recall is active and dealerships have the files to program the BCM and PCM. No indication why there was a temporary hold.

Hondo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Not mine had a lead acid battery changed out after 36 months with AGM which I have done for the last 46 years FYI my start/Stop has been disabled since new

Spartan007

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I was just at the dealer this morning to get recall done and was told there is still a hold and they were told not to complete at this time. Apparently Ford still does not have the appropriate fix

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 OBX, '20 Ecosport, '23 Kymco People S 150i ABS
I just made an appointment to get my '23 OBX done on June 11th when I get back from vacation.

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Not my 2021. It came with a Motorcraft FLA battery that was replaced last year with an AGM.

Maybe replaced because of the calibration issue causing problems with holding a charge.
My 21 came with a lead acid battery also and failed at 18 mos.

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands
I was just at the dealer this morning to get recall done and was told there is still a hold and they were told not to complete at this time. Apparently Ford still does not have the appropriate fix
On last Friday's Long McArthur Ford's Members only live stream, the Host affirmed that the recall hold was removed and dealers can go ahead and do the reprogramming.

9:45 AM: My local dealer just picked my car up a few minutes ago for the 24S24 recall.

Update 3:45 PM: My BSBL was returned to me this afternoon. The recall was completed.
No indication of time spent since it was a recall - no charge,
Battery SOC this morning when the car was picked up was 93%.
Battery SOC on delivery 5 and a half hours later was 63%.
I'm putting it on the Battery Maintainer overnight.

In the morning, I'm heading out shopping about 12 miles away, and after that a long "Sunday drive."
At least where I grew up in the Chicago 'burbs, one of the more pleasant summertime adventures was a Sunday drive. On occasion we went into the city, usually to Navy Pier, and bought some smoked chubs, to take home. On other drives, we'd head out westward, and around supper time, maybe treated to Prince Castle, Cock Robin, or McDonald's hamburgers. Prince Castle evolved into Cock Robin are long gone. If later in the evening, we'd stop and get frozen custard (soft serve ice cream). On other Sunday drives, we'd head to one of the county parks and have a picnic. Our family cars carried emergency picnic supplies: a small grill, bag of charcoal, starter fluid, plastic plates, silverware. You never knew when those were needed!
Sponsored

Last edited: