'21 BS OB - trouble starting after refueling

First Name
Hav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Hi.

I had an EVAP issue. Took it to dealer. They said there was TSB for it, I haven't seen anything on there being a TSB for this issue. They cleaned out the fuel tank area where you place the nozzle in to refuel. My original post: a 100 miles later and so far no check engine light.

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/2021-bs-ob-check-engine-light-p0456-evap-code.10003/#post-174426

But at the sometime I was having the issue where I would go to any gas station and refuel, and my car would have trouble starting back up after refueling. I am in the Northeast and it is cold. But this never happened before, this is the first time this has happened. Starting happening in early November. Happens every time I go to refuel. I always think oh crap it's not going to start this time. It only does it when I first refuel.
Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Hav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
This is a classic symptom of a stuck EVAP purge valve.
Looks like I have to replace this. I have the car under extended warranty. Should this be covered? Or is it something I can quickly swap out? Also, where is the location of the EVAP purge valve?

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Replace it under warranty. That's what it's for. Plus, you'll have it on your vehicle record if any other emissions issues come up.

Video your starting issue the next time you fill up and show it to them.

OP
OP
First Name
Hav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Replace it under warranty. That's what it's for. Plus, you'll have it on your vehicle record if any other emissions issues come up.

Video your starting issue the next time you fill up and show it to them.
Good idea. I'll record it and show them. I told them last week when I had it in the shop to replace the EVAP purge valve. But they said they did a EVAP leak test and that system was fine. But they said I needed a new windshield fluid reservoir sensor. That wasn't even an issue when I went in.

I'll update if I make any progress.

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Don't overfill your tank. When the nozzle clicks, stop fueling.

OP
OP
First Name
Hav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Don't overfill your tank. When the nozzle clicks, stop fueling.
I don't overflow, I stop when the nozzle clicks. Have done so since I got the car. And I have put premium in since I got the car.

There is another issue where not all nozzles automatically stay on until fill. You have to leave your index finger on the trigger gently not stop the nozzle prematurely. I found some gas stations near me where this works for me. But sucks I have to even do this, especially winter time.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Hi.

I had an EVAP issue. Took it to dealer. They said there was TSB for it, I haven't seen anything on there being a TSB for this issue. They cleaned out the fuel tank area where you place the nozzle in to refuel. My original post: a 100 miles later and so far no check engine light.

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/2021-bs-ob-check-engine-light-p0456-evap-code.10003/#post-174426

But at the sometime I was having the issue where I would go to any gas station and refuel, and my car would have trouble starting back up after refueling. I am in the Northeast and it is cold. But this never happened before, this is the first time this has happened. Starting happening in early November. Happens every time I go to refuel. I always think oh crap it's not going to start this time. It only does it when I first refuel.
Hey there, Hav! Can you please send me a PM with your VIN and dealer name/location so I can look into this EVAP value concern for you? I'd be happy to see what I can do to assist! To send a private message, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation".

Rogerthat898

Big Bend
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
OP
OP
First Name
Hav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I dropped my car off again today because the CEL came back on last week, as I expected. Couldn't drop the car off last week because the "advisor" said they are booked for the week. I recorded myself refueling my car and the car having trouble starting back up. I forgot to show it the "advisor" at Ford. I did tell him to replace the EVAP solenoid purge valve, he goes on that "yea this is a complicated piece, there's a lot of components to this. We have to see what the computer tells us". I tell him I have been troubleshooting this for weeks and I can probably do it myself but I don't want to get underneath the car in my driveway in this cold weather. He says "well we have to see what the computer says". So I'm waiting to hear back from them.

OP
OP
First Name
Hav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I had this valve replace under warranty. I did not have the troubles restarting after refueling (I didn't need to get gas from the time a got the CEL to the time the valve was replaced) but the tech did say that was a symptom of this valve going bad.
I too do not overfill when getting gas.

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/code-p0496.9753/#post-171016
UPDATE: Just got the car back and I went to refuel, and it started right up like a champ! Same thing for me they replaced the VAPOR MANAGEMENT / CANISTER PURGE VALVE. This time I had the P0496 trouble code.

Location wise, it is in the engine bay area, not underneath the car as other threads have stated.

Just for the sake of troubleshooting and to also help, I will update again when I refuel again. I feel like once is not enough to justify as a fix, yet.

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands
UPDATE: Just got the car back and I went to refuel, and it started right up like a champ! Same thing for me they replaced the VAPOR MANAGEMENT / CANISTER PURGE VALVE. This time I had the P0496 trouble code.

Location wise, it is in the engine bay area, not underneath the car as other threads have stated.

Just for the sake of troubleshooting and to also help, I will update again when I refuel again. I feel like once is not enough to justify as a fix, yet.
How many miles on your car?

OP
OP
First Name
Hav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
How many miles on your car?
Almost 50,000.

Edit: It has been nearly a month and a couple refills later, the car is still running well. I am confident in saying this was this root cause.
Sponsored

Last edited: