Dan Hetherington

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Broncos sport
We love the car,wife likes the square back end,much like '11 Escape we have. Peppy engine for 1.5,tight turning radius, pretty of room and AWD makes it perfect! 32,000 miles,4 or 5 recalls and now tire issues aren't what we were looking for! Start/stop feature will make a need for new starters a big deal in future. Car runs 80mph on expressway easy,but squeaking brakes in reverse and wet conditions don't make you feel good.
Sponsored

Mr. Ed

Big Bend
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I had all of these and resolved them with my 2021. The squeaky brakes were a recall that the dealer fixed. Never had a problem since. For the start/stop I went on Amazon and bought a little device that you plug into the computer port under the steering wheel that removes that option. Bought another one for my F150.... The other recalls were a simple fix from my dealer.... All good....

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
We love the car,wife likes the square back end,much like '11 Escape we have. Peppy engine for 1.5,tight turning radius, pretty of room and AWD makes it perfect! 32,000 miles,4 or 5 recalls and now tire issues aren't what we were looking for! Start/stop feature will make a need for new starters a big deal in future. Car runs 80mph on expressway easy,but squeaking brakes in reverse and wet conditions don't make you feel good.
Good summary. One quibble: I don't believe the start/stop feature will result in more frequent starter replacements. Newer starters are designed for this type of use, and computer-control of engines means much, much easier starts. When was the last time your engine turned over more than once before firing up?

jkeaton

Big Bend
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend / 2013 Escape Titanium
Automotive engineers don't use 'traditional' starter motors in these situations. The starter used for start-stop systems combines several technologies.

(1) The gear ratio from the starter-drive pinion to the flywheel ring gear is optimized to make the starter's motor turn more slowly. This is done without materially changing the design of the transmission or flywheel at all on existing designs.
Crucially, this reduces starter-motor speed (in RPM), since 90 percent of starter-motor brush wear occurs not during cranking, but during the coast-down after the start has finished. If a higher-torque motor can spin more slowly, its coast-down time is shorter, increasing its longevity.

(2) The composition of the carbon and copper brushes on a start-stop motor differs from its traditional counterparts to increase longevity without accelerating the wear on the commutator.

(3) Rather than rely on oil-impregnated bushings for the rotating assemblies, start-stop starters mostly use needle bearings.

(4) The solenoid on start-stop starters decouples the mechanical action of engaging the drive pinion into the flywheel from the electrical action of stopping and starting the motor.

This allows for a dedicated design to turn power on and off to the motor, optimizing contact design and wear, against contacts that have to be integrated as part of a spring-loaded plunger.

This also reduces the electrical load requires to turn the engine, so that there is enough current available for accessories/lighting to operate during the start event.

(5) Finally, start-stop motors are integrated with other technologies that identify when each cylinder of the engine will reach top-dead center.

That lets the fuel injectors pulse and fire during the middle of a complete rotation of the crank, against having to wait for a complete revolution that lets the first cylinder reach that position to start the fuel-spark timing sequence.

And there you have it: the full technical explanation of why you don't need to worry about starter motors wearing out prematurely due to start-stop systems.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Automotive engineers don't use 'traditional' starter motors in these situations. The starter used for start-stop systems combines several technologies.

(1) The gear ratio from the starter-drive pinion to the flywheel ring gear is optimized to make the starter's motor turn more slowly. This is done without materially changing the design of the transmission or flywheel at all on existing designs.
Crucially, this reduces starter-motor speed (in RPM), since 90 percent of starter-motor brush wear occurs not during cranking, but during the coast-down after the start has finished. If a higher-torque motor can spin more slowly, its coast-down time is shorter, increasing its longevity.

(2) The composition of the carbon and copper brushes on a start-stop motor differs from its traditional counterparts to increase longevity without accelerating the wear on the commutator.

(3) Rather than rely on oil-impregnated bushings for the rotating assemblies, start-stop starters mostly use needle bearings.

(4) The solenoid on start-stop starters decouples the mechanical action of engaging the drive pinion into the flywheel from the electrical action of stopping and starting the motor.

This allows for a dedicated design to turn power on and off to the motor, optimizing contact design and wear, against contacts that have to be integrated as part of a spring-loaded plunger.

This also reduces the electrical load requires to turn the engine, so that there is enough current available for accessories/lighting to operate during the start event.

(5) Finally, start-stop motors are integrated with other technologies that identify when each cylinder of the engine will reach top-dead center.

That lets the fuel injectors pulse and fire during the middle of a complete rotation of the crank, against having to wait for a complete revolution that lets the first cylinder reach that position to start the fuel-spark timing sequence.

And there you have it: the full technical explanation of why you don't need to worry about starter motors wearing out prematurely due to start-stop systems.
^ What he said!

LAT's Truckster

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mini Cooper S Convertible
I don't worry about the auto start/stop function wearing out something, but I do find it extremely annoying. For $89-$99, I've installed the "Auto Start-Stop Eliminator" on all of our cars. We haven't received the '24 BS OBX that we have on order yet, but first mod to make is to install that device (just plugs in)

jkeaton

Big Bend
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend / 2013 Escape Titanium
I agree with above. First thing I do after pushing start button is push stop/start button then push radio on button. Now stop pushing my buttons 😃
Remember when we had to push a button to lock a door? Oh the horror!!! :crackup:

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
I don't worry about the auto start/stop function wearing out something, but I do find it extremely annoying. For $89-$99, I've installed the "Auto Start-Stop Eliminator" on all of our cars. We haven't received the '24 BS OBX that we have on order yet, but first mod to make is to install that device (just plugs in)
Yes , also not to mention the wear and tear on the turbos with the stop and start action that they go through. Turn it off every time .

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
Yes , also not to mention the wear and tear on the turbos with the stop and start action that they go through. Turn it off every time .
and the battery.

Reactions: Jrl

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
The ASS in the 2 door manual is awesome, smooth as can be and works only if the clutch out and in neutral. The Sport, not so much, I shut that one off as it not nearly as seamless as the 2 door. Mine seems to have ill timed on and off and much more effort than the full size. I never really minded it until I got the full size. Maybe mine is an anomaly.
Sponsored