AZ_85623

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Sport Badlands
I took delivery of my new vehicle yesterday (11/10) and was disappointed to see an old style flooded battery instead of an AGM.
I expect to replace it within two years or the first time it leaves me stranded.

Ford Bronco Sport 2024 BS Badlands -- Delivered with enhanced flooded battery battery
Sponsored

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Actually, you have the next step up from the normal lead acid battery, you have the enhanced flooded battery, some reviews say the ESB is better than AGM. Congrats on the new ride and good luck with the enhanced battery.

The_Jimmer

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
AGM vs. EFB
EFBs have long been considered a step up from conventional batteries but a step below AGM batteries. While EFBs and AGMs each have their own pros and cons, EFBs do have some impressive features that rival and even outperform AGM batteries.

Affordability. EFBs are a lower-cost alternative to AGM batteries and can be a better value than traditional batteries. EFBs cost about 25% more than traditional batteries, but they have a lifespan two to three times greater than that of a standard flooded battery. AGM batteries typically cost 20% to 30% more than EFBs and about twice as much as standard batteries.

Temperature resistance. AGMs work well in frigid temperatures, but they don’t stand up as well to hot climates compared to EFBs. An EFB can last about 52% longer than an AGM battery of the same size in a hot environment. High heat — especially under the hood of a vehicle — can wear down other battery types more quickly, but EFBs better withstand the heat.

Capacity output. In an independent study commissioned by Stryten Energy, researchers found that the tested EFB had 50% higher total average capacity output under a partial state-of-charge operation compared to an AGM battery of the same size.

Usage. While both EFBs and AGMs are considered advanced batteries, there are differences in which is best for certain applications. EFBs are ideal for small- to mid-range vehicles with start-stop technology, while AGMs are best for high-powered vehicles like electric cars and trucks.

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I took delivery of my new vehicle yesterday (11/10) and was disappointed to see an old style flooded battery instead of an AGM.
I expect to replace it within two years or the first time it leaves me stranded.

Ford Bronco Sport 2024 BS Badlands -- Delivered with enhanced flooded battery battery
2021 Badlands with an EFB. Just had it replaced under warranty with an AGM. About 30 months old.

The batteries now seem to deteriorate quicker. They soak up a lot of heat in the engine bay.

If I had a choice, I'd want an AGM. JMO

Big Ben

Big Bend
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport

Use a battery maintainer. Every new vehicle has a constant battery drain from multiple systems. Even an AGM will fail earlier if not charged properly. My last FoMoCo battery lasted over 10 years with a maintainer.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
Use a battery maintainer. Every new vehicle has a constant battery drain from multiple systems. Even an AGM will fail earlier if not charged properly. My last FoMoCo battery lasted over 10 years with a maintainer.
Exactly right, great advice!

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
X2 on the battery maintainer. Especially if it is not a daily driver.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
My 1995 Lightning only had 3 batteries is the 25 years I owned it. Battery Maintainer for the win!

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
My 1995 Lightning only had 3 batteries is the 25 years I owned it. Battery Maintainer for the win!
A whole lot less in the way of electronics back in 1995 vehicles!

I'll add my 2007 Ford F-150; it is on it's second battery, at 185,000 miles.

Last edited:

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
I will say after a 30 miles trip, when I add the battery maintainer the battery is well under 85% , with the Battery Tender Plus, 85% shows a blinking green light. It takes a couple of hours plus to get to that 85% and more time to 100% charged for solid green.
Actually even after my 700 mile trip home from NJ. You would think the battery would be over 85%.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
A whole lot less in the way of electronics back in 1995 vehicles!

I'll add my 2007 Ford F-150; it is on it's second battery, at 185,000 miles.
No kidding! I could actually see the whole engine, even bits of ground when looking under the hood! When you shut that truck off, it was off. It didn't sit there and make noises for 15 minutes!

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I understand the reasoning of using a battery maintainer to keep the battery charged.

But is this where we are now, buy a new vehicle and if we don't drive it everyday, we have to charge it externally.

Maybe a better charging system with a larger alternator capacity, or a larger capacity battery would help.

Engineer the electrical system to match the high electrical drains built into these new vehicles.

Just seems there should be a better mousetrap out there.

coopny

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS BL
A battery tender/maintainer is a good move for those with the parking scenarios to support it, but for those without garages or power outlets, it's not necessarily a useful suggestion. And honestly it shouldn't be necessary.

I last drove my car on Saturday for over an hour. I remote started it today and experienced hesitation on the start (I was outside and running the remote start to circulate cabin air). That shouldn't be happening with an 8 month old battery, EFB or not. I'm also giving the battery an advantage while driving by having an auto start/stop eliminator, so the alternator is consistently running the entire time the vehicle is on.

Calling a spade a spade - the Motorcraft EFBs are crap. There's enough reports of people having electrical gremlins and it being fixed by a battery replacement within the bumper to bumper that the dealer makes sure is AGM. I'm not telling people to replace EFBs without a load test saying that the battery is bad, but if many people are getting battery replacements within 1-2 years, there's an underlying problem in the quality of the battery Ford is providing, or with the battery draw/battery maintenance system.

I would note that my folks got a 2023 Expedition and the battery spec is the same... they have the "optional" battery for the BS. AGM displayed largely on the sticker.

What's even more baffling is the use of an EFB when everywhere I can quote a battery purchase from either doesn't sell an EFB for the BS or the EFB is the same price (other than Ford itself). Ford itself prices the EFB nominally cheaper than the AGM... but the AGM, last I checked, was out of stock. I think Ford realizes that the BS needs an AGM but is shipping EFBs to keep cars rolling off the line and dealing with the problem later.

coopny

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS BL
So for "fun" I decided to buy a battery tester so I could keep an eye on my EFB. The results were... interesting.

8 month old EFB as delivered by Ford in a new BS. Driven 36 miles on Saturday primarily highway, 4 miles Monday and Wednesday. No huge draw electronics in the car, FordPass connected features still work, screen isn't shutting down.

Essentially, the battery tester told me that the battery was fine (expected at 8 months), but to charge it (not expected when the car had been driven 3 times in the past five days). It exceeded the CCA rating, which is expected while the battery is young, but was short on the voltage end.

It will get far harsher on the weather front in the Northeast before it gets easier, but I do think this battery is likely to fail within the bumper-to-bumper 3yr/36k if it's already at a point where it's expecting a charge within a day of actual driving and within a week of 40+ miles of driving without frequent stops.

Ford Bronco Sport 2024 BS Badlands -- Delivered with enhanced flooded battery signal-2023-11-16-212526_002
Ford Bronco Sport 2024 BS Badlands -- Delivered with enhanced flooded battery signal-2023-11-16-212524_002

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
So for "fun" I decided to buy a battery tester so I could keep an eye on my EFB. The results were... interesting.

8 month old EFB as delivered by Ford in a new BS. Driven 36 miles on Saturday primarily highway, 4 miles Monday and Wednesday. No huge draw electronics in the car, FordPass connected features still work, screen isn't shutting down.

Essentially, the battery tester told me that the battery was fine (expected at 8 months), but to charge it (not expected when the car had been driven 3 times in the past five days). It exceeded the CCA rating, which is expected while the battery is young, but was short on the voltage end.

It will get far harsher on the weather front in the Northeast before it gets easier, but I do think this battery is likely to fail within the bumper-to-bumper 3yr/36k if it's already at a point where it's expecting a charge within a day of actual driving and within a week of 40+ miles of driving without frequent stops.

Ford Bronco Sport 2024 BS Badlands -- Delivered with enhanced flooded battery signal-2023-11-16-212526_002
Ford Bronco Sport 2024 BS Badlands -- Delivered with enhanced flooded battery signal-2023-11-16-212524_002
11.9V and 13% SOC is extremely low. Something is not right -- either with the tester, the battery, or the charging system.

Except for the low battery voltage, the chart showing voltage before, during, and after starting looks good. The alternator and regulator appear to be working.
Sponsored