chilledlizard

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang, 2009 Escape
Hey y’all,

We currently own a 2009 Escape with 282,000k and a 2007 Mustang with 323,000k. I like to keep my vehicles for a long time and maintain them meticulously - once I find something I like to drive, I keep on driving it.

That said, the cyber orange BS Badlands will likely be the next horse to join the stable as we intend to have kids in the next couple years.

Since I buy for reliability and longevity, I’ve been worried about the many issues online and the class action lawsuit affecting the 2013-2019 2.0 EcoBoost motors. Does the BS BL use the carryover motor from the 2019 Escape? If not, does anyone have access to Ford documentation outlining any changes made to the cylinder heads?

I guess I’m just looking for some confidence that the BS will last to at least 200k. It seems that most of the 2.0 EcoBoost engines in the Escapes failed between 60k-80k.

Class Action Lawsuit:
https://www.classaction.org/ford-ecoboost-engine-problems-coolant-overheating

Advertisement

Last edited:

Midgiesbronco

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I know the bulletin above is for 1.5 engine but I have seen several 1.6 and 2.0 eco engines with same issue. Coolant consumption caused by head gaskets allowing coolant into cyl's due to block and gasket design. I'm a mechanical claims adjuster, I have seen a lot over the years

pixlpush

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tern GSD Ebike (car free at the moment)
We had a 2014 Titanium Escape with the 2.0L Ecoboost engine. We had no issues with the engine and put 87,500 miles on it before getting rid of it. We did have a transmission issue at 61,000ish miles, just past the 60k drivetrain warranty. ultimately the transmission had to be replaced. Ford worked with us a bit and split the cost of the repair but it did leave a bad taste in my mouth. That said I've got a Bronco Sport on order.

JoeyBoy

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
My 2016 Escape 2.0 Ecoboost engine’s failed at 65,000 miles which seems to be in line with others in that class action lawsuit. The reason was just like the others; coolant leaked into the cylinders. I had to pay the full price, $6,000 for a replacement engine. Thanks a lot Ford <sarcasim> for not helping me one bit, even though I was only 5K past warranty. Oh and guess what, at 80,000 miles, my air conditioner died too. Yup my A/C compressor died and cost me $2,000 to replace.

From my personal experience, I highly recommend everyone to not own an Escape or Bronco (with 2.0 engine) without some type of warranty in place, ie; factory warranty or an extended warranty.

Advertisement

Advertisement