Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang, 2009 Escape
Hey y’all,

We currently own a 2009 Escape with 282,000k and a 2007 Mustang with 323,000k. I like to keep my vehicles for a long time and maintain them meticulously - once I find something I like to drive, I keep on driving it.

That said, the cyber orange BS Badlands will likely be the next horse to join the stable as we intend to have kids in the next couple years.

Since I buy for reliability and longevity, I’ve been worried about the many issues online and the class action lawsuit affecting the 2013-2019 2.0 EcoBoost motors. Does the BS BL use the carryover motor from the 2019 Escape? If not, does anyone have access to Ford documentation outlining any changes made to the cylinder heads?

I guess I’m just looking for some confidence that the BS will last to at least 200k. It seems that most of the 2.0 EcoBoost engines in the Escapes failed between 60k-80k.

Class Action Lawsuit:
https://www.classaction.org/ford-ecoboost-engine-problems-coolant-overheating
Sponsored

Last edited:

Midgiesbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I know the bulletin above is for 1.5 engine but I have seen several 1.6 and 2.0 eco engines with same issue. Coolant consumption caused by head gaskets allowing coolant into cyl's due to block and gasket design. I'm a mechanical claims adjuster, I have seen a lot over the years

pixlpush

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tern GSD Ebike (car free at the moment)
We had a 2014 Titanium Escape with the 2.0L Ecoboost engine. We had no issues with the engine and put 87,500 miles on it before getting rid of it. We did have a transmission issue at 61,000ish miles, just past the 60k drivetrain warranty. ultimately the transmission had to be replaced. Ford worked with us a bit and split the cost of the repair but it did leave a bad taste in my mouth. That said I've got a Bronco Sport on order.

JoeyBoy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
My 2016 Escape 2.0 Ecoboost engine’s failed at 65,000 miles which seems to be in line with others in that class action lawsuit. The reason was just like the others; coolant leaked into the cylinders. I had to pay the full price, $6,000 for a replacement engine. Thanks a lot Ford <sarcasim> for not helping me one bit, even though I was only 5K past warranty. Oh and guess what, at 80,000 miles, my air conditioner died too. Yup my A/C compressor died and cost me $2,000 to replace.

From my personal experience, I highly recommend everyone to not own an Escape or Bronco (with 2.0 engine) without some type of warranty in place, ie; factory warranty or an extended warranty.

Econoline

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL Carbonized Gray, steelies+tow+360
Just out today, not sure if this applies to our 2.0L engines.

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
You also get oil dilution on the newer turbos with direct injection. The 2.0 and bigger, not the 1.5 cause has port and direct. Youll see fuel in your oil if you send in for analysis. That can cause other issues. Why on cold starts they smell so rich. Been a problem across the board with manufacturers. Remember these motors are built for epa numbers, not longevity. Ford has also had a shit ton of issues on their turbos and associated parts since the 3.5L got put in the trucks

BronzeSmokeBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Could end up down the same road, but that is a 2014. The current 2.0 engine used on Badlands and FE is a clean sheet redesign first used in 2015 cars.
Correct, but then I do believe the 2.0L was revised again in late 2019 because some 2015's -2019's also had coolant intrusion issues. So at this point I do believe all Bronco sports with the 2.0L are safe from this issue. I went down a YouTube rabbit hole a while ago, some believe the issue is also based on where the engine was made, Cleveland VRS Valencia, Spain. Some say the Valencia made engines are better...…Didn't come to a firm conclusion on that one. My 2.0L was made in Valencia, you can check on the left hand side of the block.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
According to this article, 2.0L and 2.3L EcoBoost engines used in cars destined for the North America market use engines built in Ohio. Ford moved EcoBoost production from Valencia to Ohio several years back. Valencia still makes engines for the European market.

In the description of the video, the producer wrote, "This is very common concern across the board on all Ford four cylinder ecoboost engines." Before getting to concerned about this I would like to know his definition of "very common." There are literally millions of Ford's EcoBoost engines in operation around the world. It seems to me if a serious issue like the one described in the video were very common there would be more chatter about it online.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
So if 2.0 blows up out of warranty maybe good excuse to swap a 2.3 crank in on the rebuild with a custom tune? Hmmmm.....

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
So if 2.0 blows up out of warranty maybe good excuse to swap a 2.3 crank in on the rebuild with a custom tune? Hmmmm.....
Why not? The 2.3L is really just a stroked 2.0L, so fitment shouldn't be an issue. With custom internals the block should be good for a lot more horsepower. Some vendors advertise 700+, but I'm not sure I would push it that far with a Bronco Sport. What the heck would you do with 700 hp in a Bronco Sport?

Jumbo1953

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
According to this article, 2.0L and 2.3L EcoBoost engines used in cars destined for the North America market use engines built in Ohio. Ford moved EcoBoost production from Valencia to Ohio several years back. Valencia still makes engines for the European market.

In the description of the video, the producer wrote, "This is very common concern across the board on all Ford four cylinder ecoboost engines." Before getting to concerned about this I would like to know his definition of "very common." There are literally millions of Ford's EcoBoost engines in operation around the world. It seems to me if a serious issue like the one described in the video were very common there would be more chatter about it online.
My 2021 Badlands lists the engine built in Spain.
Sponsored