Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands
Hey y’all,

We currently own a 2009 Escape with 282,000k and a 2007 Mustang with 323,000k. I like to keep my vehicles for a long time and maintain them meticulously - once I find something I like to drive, I keep on driving it.

That said, the cyber orange BS Badlands will likely be the next horse to join the stable as we intend to have kids in the next couple years.

Since I buy for reliability and longevity, I’ve been worried about the many issues online and the class action lawsuit affecting the 2013-2019 2.0 EcoBoost motors. Does the BS BL use the carryover motor from the 2019 Escape? If not, does anyone have access to Ford documentation outlining any changes made to the cylinder heads?

I guess I’m just looking for some confidence that the BS will last to at least 200k. It seems that most of the 2.0 EcoBoost engines in the Escapes failed between 60k-80k.

Class Action Lawsuit:
https://www.classaction.org/ford-ecoboost-engine-problems-coolant-overheating
The concern with the head gasket issue is with the deck surface on block. The block is an open deck design and there are slots that facilitate coolant flow inbetween each cylinder. These slots minimize the head gaskets surface area in that location and lead to failures. Ford redesigned this in 2019 I believe and use small cross drilled holes to allow coolant flow and addressed the problem. Any 2.0 from 2019 has the improved block.
Sponsored