NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Jeep Liberty Diesel
When I worked for the Forest Service, my fleet manager told me the biggest cause of sludge and gunk in your engine is starting it up and running it a few minutes and shuting it off. When I start a vehilcle, I run it until is is fully warmed up. I do quite a few low speed trips of less than 5 miles, but I mix it up with freeway driving and trips.

I've run synthetic oil in all of my vehicles for 30 years. I read an article where they ran a big rig 1,000,000 miles on synthetic oil (but changed filters). Oil was still good at end of test. I change my oil once a year whether it needs it or not. My Jeep Liberty diesel turbo has 168,000 miles on it with no engine issues.

I may send Blackstone a sample before my next oil change. My dealer Melloy Ford in Los Lunas, NM gave me 4 free oil changes.

Could fuel blow by be caused by the rings not being fully seated on a new vehicle? I've read that you shouldn't run synthetic until the engine is well broken in.

CaptainNedVT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Ah, tribology. If y'all think this is uncivil, you should try Subie turbo forums or BITOG.

Run full syn. If your usual drives last at least 30 mins, any fuel will burn off. Blackstone on my '16 Forester XT showed 5% fuel after startup and 2 miles to the shop. Same brand oil/filter with a 30 minute highway drive was well within their green range at the next OC 5K miles later. It's just how pure GDI engines work.

If you can find an oil that meets Ford warranty specs AND cites HT/HS specs, look for 3.5 or better.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Was this based on a lab test or eyeballing it?
I think he said he could smell fuel?

Over on the F150 forums there have been ecoboost engines where oil level rises on the dip stick over time and smells of gas. Luckily my '16 F150 3.5 ecoboost doesn't have that problem but it has happened on some of them.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I think he said he could smell fuel?
He posted a lab report. The lab said, "the viscosity is a little low and there is some fuel (1.0%), but neither is concerning at this level." This was at 4,800 miles.

If it were mine I would run it all the way to the factory-recommended interval and test it again. My guess is everything would still be within acceptable limits.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
He posted a lab report. The lab said, "the viscosity is a little low and there is some fuel (1.0%), but neither is concerning at this level." This was at 4,800 miles.

If it were mine I would run it all the way to the factory-recommended interval and test it again. My guess is everything would still be within acceptable limits.
Yeah every internal combustion engine new old turbo non turbo they all get some fuel in oil pistons rings never 100 percent seal. But direct injected turbo more prone to that problem. Ford been working hard for long long time to minimize fuel in oil issues.