ACDC

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco sport
Has anyone used the outlet for a cooler to go on long trips? Does it stay energized when the engine is off?
Thanks...
Sponsored

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Sorry ACDC, it does not remain energized

OP
OP
ACDC

ACDC

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco sport
Okay, thanks. I think I'm going to buy the cooler anyway, it comes with a 110V adapter so I can use it when we get to the cottage.
Cheers,

jkeaton

Big Bend
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend / 2013 Escape Titanium
Easy enough to test.....plug your phone charger in and shut the engine off......is it still charging and will it keep charging after the systems shut themselves off after a time.

Last edited:

Rawah652

Badlands
First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport, 2004 Ford Thunderbird
Has anyone used the outlet for a cooler to go on long trips? Does it stay energized when the engine is off?
Thanks...
Your 12V outlets do stay energized for about an hour or so after you shut off the accessory power, beyond that you have to turn it on again. This feature is great for saving your battery, but sucks if you actually want to run a low-draw item overnight or something when camping.

Barry S.

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
The 12volt will not stay indefinitely. Check Amazon for a 120 to 12volt converter. You can keep your cooler on overnight in your room and then plug it in to the 12volt when you return to your car.

OP
OP
ACDC

ACDC

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco sport
Thank you for the reply's :like:

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Do these coolers keep things cold while not powered? I mean do they act like a normal ice chest?

I don't know if I'd trust it for very perishable things but would it hold temperature for say overnight while I'm asleep?

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Do these coolers keep things cold while not powered? I mean do they act like a normal ice chest?

I don't know if I'd trust it for very perishable things but would it hold temperature for say overnight while I'm asleep?
I haven’t tested mine but on day trips so not certain. But they are insulated coolers so should work well enough overnight.

OP
OP
ACDC

ACDC

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco sport
Yes I agree.

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
The 12volt will not stay indefinitely. Check Amazon for a 120 to 12volt converter. You can keep your cooler on overnight in your room and then plug it in to the 12volt when you return to your car.
Yeah, only reason you should need it to stay on when car is off is if you are overlanding.

Barry S.

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Yeah, only reason you should need it to stay on when car is off is if you are overlanding.
True. I have a solar-powered battery generator that I got from 4Patriots. That might do it. It's their smallest version. We recently had a power outage and it kept lights on.

OP
OP
ACDC

ACDC

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco sport
Good to know, thanks.

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco Sport

Compressor powered fridges tend to have decent insulation. Better than a cheap cooler, not as good as the best passive coolers, as you have the coolant line providing a path for heat conduction. Thermoelectric coolers do far worse when turned off. They just have a thin peltier chip and heats sinks that the heat will flow right back through without power.

The other thing is whether you have frozen stuff or not. A phase change takes vastly more heat than a simple temperature change. In the partitioned fridge/freezers like my little Iceco 20L, the frozen side will soak up a lot of heat from the fridge side if turned off. Power consumption is much higher to maintain freezing temps though.

Tickover

Badlands
First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I use my 12V cooler all the time. The cooler stays, while on, 30 degrees below ambient, no complaints.
Sponsored