Big Bend
First Name
Thiti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Hi everyone
I just noticed that the DC power outlet (Cigg lighter port) does not shut off when I turn off the car. I plugged the GPS device , Phone charger or dashcam (it keeps power to whatever is plugged into the outlet even when the vehicle is off) Checked it after 30 minutes of having the car off and it was still getting power.

Is it normal?

So it's mean I need to unplug every devices every time?

Ford Bronco Sport 12V Dc outlets port always on?? 20210414_003724-COLLAGE
Sponsored

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
It looks like that is always on and not ignition power according to the owner guide.

There may be a simple way to convert the outlet with the fusebox, but I haven't a clue where to tap it. Some vehicles have an easy way to do it by just moving a fuse but I don't see mention of that in the owner guide. The only other option would be to rewire it and tap power and add a 12v outlet someplace and plug it in there.

That is really too bad. I would end up plugging my own Garmin in there to use the traffic receiver. Garmin doesn't make an updated USB receiver for the units so that's the only option without rewiring.

Update: It's always on, sort of. The car determines when to shut it off. I plugged a USB adapter/voltmeter into it and watch when it shuts off. Sometimes it's right away, other times it takes a couple minutes. I think it's related to how soon you close the door and if you leave it open or lock it and maybe if something is charging/drawing power.

Last edited:

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
Guess I'll have to use a 12 volt power extension cord. I have one with a switch on the plug. I'll run that behind the dash and plug the GPS into that. Then I can turn the power off at the outlet. The fuse panel is behind the glove box somewhere so I'll check that first to see if the 12 volt outlets have their own fuse. If they do I can switch them to an accessory fuse.

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
That can be a great option for those having dashcam with parking mode monitor. So much easier than having to tap into the fusebox!!!

Jessicavox

Outer Banks
First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
It is not always on. I was expecting it to stay on indefinitely and plugged my food warmer into it. I know it will stay on for about up to 2 hours, but the last time I used it I returned after about 3.5-4 hours to find it was no longer hiving power to my food warmer

Jessicavox

Outer Banks
First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
The one in the back seat on the back of the console shuts off immediately, though.

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco Sport
It shuts off after a set amount of time, maybe 30 minutes or so, more quickly if battery voltage is or becomes low.

dkaiser1945

Outer Banks
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
On my Outer Banks it shuts off after about 30 seconds.

Kyukidoeric

Big Bend
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
It looks like that is always on and not ignition power according to the owner guide.

There may be a simple way to convert the outlet with the fusebox, but I haven't a clue where to tap it. Some vehicles have an easy way to do it by just moving a fuse but I don't see mention of that in the owner guide. The only other option would be to rewire it and tap power and add a 12v outlet someplace and plug it in there.

That is really too bad. I would end up plugging my own Garmin in there to use the traffic receiver. Garmin doesn't make an updated USB receiver for the units so that's the only option without rewiring.

Update: It's always on, sort of. The car determines when to shut it off. I plugged a USB adapter/voltmeter into it and watch when it shuts off. Sometimes it's right away, other times it takes a couple minutes. I think it's related to how soon you close the door and if you leave it open or lock it and maybe if something is charging/drawing power.
I want mine to stay on at all times to charge my phone, but have not figured out how to do it yet. I work security and sit all night. It's a pain cause I have to keep pushing the ignition button or even start the car for a couple minutes to start the timer over.

Any clue how to make it hot at all times?

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
I want mine to stay on at all times to charge my phone, but have not figured out how to do it yet. I work security and sit all night. It's a pain cause I have to keep pushing the ignition button or even start the car for a couple minutes to start the timer over.

Any clue how to make it hot at all times?
I never did find an easy way to switch the built in one other than re-wiring it. None of the power outlets in the cargo space or the 110v outlets stay on beyond the accessory timer with the ignition off. The vehicle does seem really sensitive to battery drops too, so I imagine this is a safety feature by Ford.

But if someone was determined then you could either run a wire from the interior fusebox to the rear of the floor console and add a new, always-on 12V/USB port there. Or, pull up the front console and unplug the 12V. Rewire the 12V with the always-on fuse tap and use 12v charger or a 12v to USB adapter. I wouldn't change the front USB wiring because it goes through the whole Sync system.

I have read that interior fuse #20 (Spare) is a constant on 20A circuit but I have not personally verified that on my vehicle.

coopny

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS BL
Reviving this thread but if you have an OBDII adapter with MS-CAN bus support and a Windows computer running Forscan, you can change the powerpoint timeout in the bodyCM from whatever setting it was (I think it was around 4200s / 60 seconds to the minute = 70 minutes) to something lower (I changed it to five). Now my radar detector isn't on unnecessarily and my cell phone booster isn't drawing an amp for an hour unnecessarily.

As the battery health changes the battery management system will do lower timeouts automatically, but you save the wear of unncessary discharging from accessory power (and the inconvenience of having to manually turn on/off a power splitter) by changing the timeout in the BodyCM in Forscan.

Tim Cee

Heritage
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I just bought a 2023 Bronco Sport and noticed my dash cam stays on after I shut off the engine but it goes off after about one minute. I called Ford and they confirmed this. Others have said that it took hours, so maybe this is new for the 2023 version but I can confirm it definitely shuts off quickly.
Sponsored