Noahstone15

Big Bend
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hey, I have a 21 Bronco Sport Big Bend with the 1.5L, my wife and I are currently on the road moving to Texas from Oregon and we’re towing a 5x8 uhaul trailer loaded to the max. So far we’ve traveled 780 miles and the 1.5L has impressed me! Pulling some big passes we drop to around 14-16 mpg and on the flats we’ve averaged 20-23 mpg! It’s having no problems so far! Has anyone else traveled 1000+ miles towing with their Bronco Sport? I’d love to hear y’all’s experiences!

Ford Bronco Sport 1.5L towing long distances. Share your reports / experiences DBAF7030-EC26-4C60-9204-620FE58EC681

Ford Bronco Sport 1.5L towing long distances. Share your reports / experiences 919ABD0F-6949-4E20-B092-147BA8BA01FD

Sponsored

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
The 1.5L gives good power.
180 Hp can pull more BUT those 5x8 U-hauls are heavy empty.
thats a lot of pulling on the 3 bangers light crank.
Sport mode for sure….
I’d fear the wheel base,
Center of gravity,
And low weight of the BS the most.

Last edited:

Bass Fool

Big Bend
First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I am going to be towing Idaho to Massachusetts in my BB. Hopefully the car does okay... but everything I have read my BB will be fine

MHUNTOON

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I’ll be moving my son from his current apartment near Purdue to another smaller apartment and then towing surplus items in one of those this July.

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
2,000 lb. camper no problem. Wouldn't tow it in the Rockies but here in the East, no problems.

MHUNTOON

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I’ll be moving my son from his current apartment near Purdue to another smaller apartment and then towing surplus items in one of those this July.
Made my reservation last night. Opted for the 4x8 trailer over the 5x8 out of an abundance of caution with the first tow. Nervously excited to see how this goes this weekend - West Lafayette, IN to Greensboro, NC.

jkbronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jkbronco.com
Vehicle(s)
2021Bronco Sport
We pull our custom off road trailer we built. Our sport handles this just fine. MPG will matter depending on wind and conditions. We usually keep it around 65-70 to get the best MPG's at 17mpg.
Ford Bronco Sport 1.5L towing long distances. Share your reports / experiences bronco trailer bridge

Carolo

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Towing with a 1.5L Bronco is no problem at all. You just gotta make sure you have the Gold AAA card!

Xzavior1818

Big Bend
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport, 2019 Mustang Gt
Tows my 5x10 just fine. I'd avoid any speeds over 65 though. Gas mileage goes down alot too.

Ford Bronco Sport 1.5L towing long distances. Share your reports / experiences 20230319_174339

67L48

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350, 2023 BS BL
Just make sure to take note of payload. Tow capacity is a marketing gimmick. The real number is payload, which is a derivative of GVWR. Most of these rigs will have available payload of 900 - 1,100 lbs (check your door jamb sticker, this number is vehicle-specific and cannot be looked up online). Conventional trailers will drop 12-15% of their weight on the tongue. So, if you're towing a 2,000 lb trailer, you had better have at least 300 lbs of payload left.

Add fully clothed pair of adults at 300-350 lbs, two kids at 150 lbs, and a family dog, and you have just consumed 500 lbs of that payload. And, no, there is no driver allowance for GVW or Payload. Toss in your gear, clothes, electronics, food, any options you added (light bars, bull bars), anything on the roof rack, trailer ball hitch, frame mounted hitch (if not factory), etc. Pretty easy to consume another 300 lbs.

Generally speaking, you can haul a bunch of people/cargo inside the vehicle or you can tow the a bunch of weight, but you cannot do both. You can't throw 4 people inside, load up the rear with gear, toss a bin on the roof rack, and then hitch up a 2,000 lb trailer.

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
and it should be mentioned for towing 2,000 pounds you should have the factory installed tow package. Just adding the hitch doesn't give you the larger transmission cooler the tow package gives you.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
I am going to be towing Idaho to Massachusetts in my BB. Hopefully the car does okay... but everything I have read my BB will be fine
You better check to see if Massachusetts wants the state of Idaho. They may not have enough room for it.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Just make sure to take note of payload. Tow capacity is a marketing gimmick. The real number is payload, which is a derivative of GVWR. Most of these rigs will have available payload of 900 - 1,100 lbs (check your door jamb sticker, this number is vehicle-specific and cannot be looked up online). Conventional trailers will drop 12-15% of their weight on the tongue. So, if you're towing a 2,000 lb trailer, you had better have at least 300 lbs of payload left.

Add fully clothed pair of adults at 300-350 lbs, two kids at 150 lbs, and a family dog, and you have just consumed 500 lbs of that payload. And, no, there is no driver allowance for GVW or Payload. Toss in your gear, clothes, electronics, food, any options you added (light bars, bull bars), anything on the roof rack, trailer ball hitch, frame mounted hitch (if not factory), etc. Pretty easy to consume another 300 lbs.

Generally speaking, you can haul a bunch of people/cargo inside the vehicle or you can tow the a bunch of weight, but you cannot do both. You can't throw 4 people inside, load up the rear with gear, toss a bin on the roof rack, and then hitch up a 2,000 lb trailer.
"Sorry kids, you and the dog have to take the bus to grandma's....me and your mom will meet you there"...

67L48

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350, 2023 BS BL
"Sorry kids, you and the dog have to take the bus to grandma's....me and your mom will meet you there"...
Pretty much. But, more appropriately, it would be, "Sorry kids, we can't buy this camper ... your mom and I didn't buy the right tow vehicle and we don't want to be unsafe."

Most people don't think about this stuff, though, until after the camper purchase ... which is why RV dealerships and manufacturers push the dry weights so much. Your TV can has a tow rating of 2,500 lbs? Awesome, here's a small trailer that has a [dry] weight of 2,300 lbs. You're all set. Then that family is rolling down the road with a trailer 500 lbs too heavy and 600+ lbs over their TV's GVWR.