First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I remember when those first hit production; it was a big deal! The mid-80s is about when water cooling for turbochargers became the norm. Unfortunately, they still didn't have very good electro-mechanical controls, so everything was strictly mechanical. Component failures were common, and sometimes resulted in catastrophic engine failures, which left consumers with justified concerns about turbocharged engine reliability. Today's computer instrumentation and control make those kind of events rare--at least as long as people leave the software alone.
Our SVO has an electronic module to limit boost when engine is cold. Most ppl rip those off and put manual boost control on. But our SVO is fast enough I don't need to be monkeying around trying to make it faster.

A lot of ppl think Ford added water cooling to turbo in '80s to calm ppl fear of failures. Lot ppl out there say it don't really make it any more durable at least not on that particular eng. Not sure I agree but its a common opinion that is out there.
Sponsored

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
i agree in the summertime, i let it idle for maybe a minute, minute and a half at most. however, today is -36 celcius with the windchill. these are the days she idles for a while. ;)

mdwheaton

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Taking an American car to 200K can be done, but it’s not going to happen without a lot of repairs.

Your best bet would’ve been a Honda or Toyota.
This is a statement straight from 1985.
The majority of cars made in the USA today have reliability records that match pretty much any car made worldwide.

FirsandFire

Big Bend
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
The majority of cars made in the USA today have reliability records that match pretty much any car made worldwide.
Yeah I agree. Unfortunately, trying to change someones opinion with reason doesn't seem work anymore.
Some people love to think time doesn't change and that an "American" engine todays is the same as an old carburated 454 . Apples and oranges but that dinosaur brain mentality will be there forever with a lot of folks.

JAD67428

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport. 1994 Ford Mustang GT.
I read an article somewhere that I can’t recall now but I remember it saying that Ford Engineered and or designed the 1.5 engine for at least 150,000 thousand miles.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
Go hang around some late model Honda forums lot of those vehicles getting lemon lawed back. Consumer reports ranks Honda pretty far down the list they have slipped a lot. Myself two brand new Honda SUVs prior to my new Badlands. Based on what I seeing going on at Honda these days there is a lit to worry about there...

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
Taking an American car to 200K can be done, but it’s not going to happen without a lot of repairs.

Not at all. Taking an American car to 200K is easy. Taking a Honda or Toyota to 200K without any rust is impossible.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
Utter fabrication
What about when late model Tacoma truck frames rusted out? But Toyota would replace frame for out of warrantee trucks for free so they did make it right.

abxponce

Big Bend
First Name
Bernardo Rosado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

HONDA?
NOPE. Maybe back 20 years from now.
My 2007 Civic broke ate 52k miles the engine.
Then my 2017 civic at 32k miles also.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
So many people over think all this.
I let it warm up a minute in the summer and drive calmly till my water temp gage rises half way to it’s normal position.
In the winter After I start it up and scrape the ice I go, like above, easy.
When I stop I give it a minute before I cut coolant flow to my hot engine. I follow regular maintenance schedules.
I must be doing it right.
My mileage when I sold most of my vehicles were as follows:
Toyota truck 330,000,
Toyota Tacoma 384,000 when I totaled it,
Toyota 2.7L Tacoma 528,000 Yep you read it right, but it was weaker. Oh and yeah The one I totaled, the 384k Toy. Was running like brand new.
1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L, rear main blew @394,000, but that was designed in 1957. A straight six converted to EFI in the 80’s, a very old school cast iron block. 394k with 10,000 mile service intervals, 394k trouble free.
Ford F-150 167,000
None of these ever had a single engine repair. All but the 528,000 Toyota and the 394,000 Jeep we’re running like new when I sold them.
All these engines got Mobil 1 and regularly scheduled fluid changes.
So tell me again what’s so complicated about consistently getting high mileage ?

Last edited:

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
My 2007 Civic broke ate 52k miles the engine.
We had '06 civic with engine block cracks caused by flaw in casting seeped coolant out. Traded in for a '10 civic which had revised engine block casting to address the flaw.

tjbronco

Big Bend
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport, 2020 Subaru Outback
It's a turbo engine. Usually not the most long lasting. Are there any good examples of super reliable turbos that are not diesels?
That being said I'm not too worried about it being worn out prematurely.
Back in the 80's I drove a 1984 Saab Turbo to about 350,000 miles - it rusted out, but still ran great when I drove it to the junkyard. It needed a lot of maintenance(brakes, heater cores, ball joints, etc.) while I had it, but the engine was always reliable. I still have another Saab Turbo now with nearly 200k on it. Turbos can be very reliable if you change oil regularly and don't beat on them.

Mlarv

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Wow what a statement. My current F150 has a little over 300k on the clock. My 1996 explorer went to 330k before the odometer went out. My 1997 F150 hit 250k before I got rid of it. I have had a lot of Fords well over 100k without any issues just basic maintenance.
My current F150 is a 2015 with the 2.7 liter engine.
Sponsored