tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
500 bazillion 2021 and 2022’s including base models have this bla bla recall.
Umpteen thousand 2021-2022’s
A threat of fire or brake stuff and the thing is gonna blow up.
I go in for an oil change every 5k miles and not one in 23 months has ever been on mine.
SO I take it from this it’s only a few ?
Why is it news in this Forum?
Next oil change and ya got it scheduled ta git fixed !
I guess if I spot a service bulletin or a recall I’m not doing my part unless I get the word out !
I think I’ll go for a drive.
Because of the risk of under-hood fires (54 reported so far?). Because 188,436 Bronco Sport vehicles are affected. Because repair "parts are anticipated to be available by the end of 1Q , 2023." Myself and I'm sure many others think this is of significant interest.
Sponsored

Ohwell

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
It would be interesting to know if the fuel injectors that crack are random or if it is the ones for the cylinder that shuts down. I can imagine more sustained pressure on the injectors for the cylinder that shuts down on the 1.5L.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Almost at 30,000 miles now, 24 months ago I drove my Base Model home,
Still love it,
No fuel smell, injectors good so far.
I’ll ask when I go in for my regular 5k mile oil change

Reactions: ZQ8

LazyDirtFarmer

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport, 2014 Escape, 2022 Tri Glide
I just received this recall notification today! If it wasn't for this forum, I wouldn't have know this was a concern... Since I first saw the OP back in November, I take a sniff under the hood every once and awhile. Since I didn't receive a notice, I thought I was clear. I guess I'll take another sniff.

You'd think it would take Ford less than two months from a known issue, to let a customer know their car could burst into flames at any moment. 🔥

Last edited:

Art4All

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Sport Outer Banks - Cyber Orange
I just received this recall notification today! If it wasn't for this forum, I wouldn't have know this was a concern... Since I first saw the OP back in November, I take a sniff under the hood every once and awhile. Since I didn't receive a notice, I thought I was clear. I guess I'll take another sniff.

You'd think it would take Ford less than two months from a know issue, to let a customer know their car could burst into flames at any moment. 🔥
Ditto!

LastBronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Just checked and saw my Sport is in the recall list.

"PARTS ARE ANTICIPATED TO BE AVAILABLE BY THE END OF 1Q, 2023."

Here's hoping that good luck holds out until then!
The dealer set up an appointment to do this recall on mine yesterday. I showed up at the dealer and an hour and a half later was out the door with nothing being done. They said they had the parts but not the software update. Idiots!

DemonGT

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Heritage Limited
What does software have to with fuel injector replacement?

Blue oval fan

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
What does software have to with fuel injector replacement?
The software update will alert the driver of a drop in fuel pressure in the event of a fuel leak due to a faulty injector. I also believe it will put the vehicle in limp-home mode from what I have heard.

The software update and a "drain tube" is nothing but a bandaid of a fix. How about redesigning the injectors altogether? I still like my BS but Ford can do better than this.

Robins21

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport, 05 F150, 99 Explorer, 69 Stang
We just received the injector recall letter on my wife's BS. She has just over 22K miles on her BS & we are waiting for Ford to notify us when the parts are available to have it repaired.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
The software update and a "drain tube" is nothing but a bandaid of a fix. How about redesigning the injectors altogether? I still like my BS but Ford can do better than this.
Ford doesn't design components like fuel injectors. This issue is likely not due to poor quality fuel injectors, it likely has more to do with the basic design of the engine. There is always a chance on any engine of a component failure, and engine designers plan for them. It seems the 1.5L engine has some unique design characteristics that allow the accumulation of spilled fluids and resulting vapors as they evaporate. Long-time members of this forum may remember a previous recall involving the oil separator. Cracked separators allowed oil into the engine compartment resulting in fires. My guess in the vapors from the spilled oil collected in the same place as the vapors from the spilled fuel.

A fuel drain is probably the only fix available for this issue. There is no way Ford can guarantee a fuel injector that will never crack, and eliminating fluid collection points would require a basic redesign of the engine. The next best--and perfectly safe--option is to provide an exit for spilled fuel. If fuel (or other flammable liquids) have no place to collect they cannot generate enough vapor to ignite.

Last edited:

Blue oval fan

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
Fair enough. But Ford could come out and say what exactly is causing this issue and not keep us in the dark.

The cracked oil separator was from a "manufacturing error" so it was a case of a flawed part and or improper installation during manufacturing.

Reactions: ZQ8

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The cracked oil separator was from a "manufacturing error" so it was a case of a flawed part and or improper installation during manufacturing.
I understand that. My point is if there were not a place for the oil to collect and generate vapors there would have been no fire hazard.

To be clear, I'm not defending Ford here. It's incumbent on manufacturers to consider failure modes and design in mitigation strategies. The main reason I posted is to assuage fears 1.5L owners may have about driving their cars. Every car on the road today is subject to component failures that might result in fuel or oil spilling into the engine compartment during operation, and those spilled fluids generate vapors. Most manufacturers mitigate the danger by a) ensuring enough air flowing through the engine compartment to prevent the build-up of vapors, b) avoiding cavities large enough to collect spilled fluids in dangerous quantities, or c) provide drains in areas that do. Ford should have considered the possibility of leaks and avoided creating fluid collection points under the hood.

LazyDirtFarmer

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport, 2014 Escape, 2022 Tri Glide
Most manufacturers mitigate the danger by a) ensuring enough air flowing through the engine compartment to prevent the build-up of vapors, b) avoiding cavities large enough to collect spilled fluids in dangerous quantities, or c) provide drains in areas that do. Ford should have considered the possibility of leaks and avoided creating fluid collection points under the hood.
Maybe that's why Ford got rid of the Engine Covers... Seems like it could act as a big sponge if there's a fuel leak... It's nothing but a big hunk of foam rubber. :D

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe that's why Ford got rid of the Engine Covers... Seems like it could act as a big sponge if there's a fuel leak... It's nothing but a big hunk of foam rubber. :D
Could be. Or it could limit air flow allowing vapor collection underneath it near hot components.

nrussell

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport "Juice"
Hi all, new to the forum, first time posting.

A few weeks ago, I was t-boned and had to finally say goodbye to my 2013 Ford Edge. On the night of my accident I began my quest for my next vehicle; searched the inventory of all my local dealerships, cars.com, carvana, car gurus, etc…I believe I’ve seen every used vehicle for sale within 100 miles of me. I came across a 21 Oxford White Bronco Sport BB that really caught my eye. It had a set of beefier tires and some aftermarket wheels on it that just made it look a little tougher than all the others I had looked at. I made an appointment to test drive it, and ended up signing papers to purchase it afterwards. During that process, they discovered that it had an active recall on it. I had no idea, and this wasn’t a Ford dealership so I wasn’t upset at them for not having any knowledge of it. I was then informed that it is a policy of this particular dealership that they cannot release a vehicle with an active recall, and that generally they can have the repairs done within a few days. They also offered to deliver it to me once it was ready, to save me a trip back since I lived about an hour away. I was bummed that I couldn’t drive it home that night, but I was cool with it and even thankful that I wouldn’t have to deal with that myself later on. Well, the next morning the sales manager called me with the gut punch…he told me he reached out to the local Ford place they work with to schedule an appointment to get the repairs done, and he was informed that there was currently no available fix for this recall. He told me then we can either cancel the sale, or I could wait it out. I wanted to do a little research myself so I told him not to cancel just yet and I would let him know something in a couple days. During my research I found an article on Ford’s website pertaining to this recall and it stated the parts and software update were expected to be available late Feb-March. Uggggh. I was mad. I was upset. I was driving around in a Jeep Compass rental that I had to return soon and be left without a vehicle…But I REALLY wanted this Bronco. So I called my guy back up and told him what I had learned, and that I would like to wait on the fix as long as he could provide me a loaner vehicle to drive until then. Much to my surprise, he agreed…and I am now (not so) patiently awaiting the fix for my BS while I’m scooting around in a 22 VW Taos…pretty smooth ride to be honest.

I know everyone here is already aware of this recall and really didn’t need to suffer through that story…so if you are still with me, I apologize for rambling on. I just can’t help but wonder, how many people are in the same boat as me? I read another article saying over a total of 500,000 BS and Escapes from 20-23 have been recalled for this. Will there be enough supply available when they announce the fix is ready? If not, how long will it take for round 2? Anyone here have a future scheduled appointment for this fix when it’s ready, or on a waitlist? Is that even an option? I just hope Feb-March doesn’t turn into Summer or Fall. I have been doing google searches and checking this thread daily for updates hoping for good news. Please share if you have any.

P.S. I have thoroughly enjoyed browsing the forums the last week or so looking at all the photos of everyone’s Baby Broncos…getting ideas and suggestions of what to do and what not to do to mine when I get my hands on it. I’ll shut up now.
Sponsored