Backpackster

Big Bend
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
I have autostart on both my 2017 F-150 and my bs bb. On the bronco, it feels like a subtle kick in the pants. First time it happened I had to look in the rear view mirror. The F-150 is silky soft. Has anyone else noticed this or is it the way it is.
Sponsored

Area51

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
’21 Badlands, ’08 Ranger 4x4, ’16 Focus ST
I wonder if it's because it's because of the cylinder count, three or four compared to six or eight. The first couple times our 2.0L Badlands auto-started it surprised me with its little shudder as it started. The first time it shut down I thought the engine had died—well, it had, but on purpose. I've only driven the Badlands two or three times so far but I think I'll get used to that.

Ponds

First Edition
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I wonder if it's because it's because of the cylinder count, three or four compared to six or eight. The first couple times our 2.0L Badlands auto-started it surprised me with its little shudder as it started. The first time it shut down I thought the engine had died—well, it had, but on purpose. I've only driven the Badlands two or three times so far but I think I'll get used to that.
You’ll get to the point where you don’t notice it at all. Well, at least with a 2017 Escape I’ve had for over 3 years. It was my biggest concern before buying it and hasn’t caused any issues. I’d bet that it’ll be the same for my BS once I finally take delivery.

Area51

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
’21 Badlands, ’08 Ranger 4x4, ’16 Focus ST
You’ll get to the point where you don’t notice it at all. Well, at least with a 2017 Escape I’ve had for over 3 years. It was my biggest concern before buying it and hasn’t caused any issues. I’d bet that it’ll be the same for my BS once I finally take delivery.
I think you're right, having driven it more today I hardly notice it now.

wilbur_xmas

Outer Banks
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I have autostart on both my 2017 F-150 and my bs bb. On the bronco, it feels like a subtle kick in the pants. First time it happened I had to look in the rear view mirror. The F-150 is silky soft. Has anyone else noticed this or is it the way it is.
Ours gives a kick in the pants for sure, feels like it tries to jump forward a bit. This only happens when stopped at a light long enough that the engine restarts while still fully stopped and foot firm on the brake. In other circumstances when you are lifting off the brake it is very subtle.

Midgiesbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
There’s a button on the dash to turn auto start off and on...
Yeah but this way no turning it off every time you start it. It's my wife's whip, she hates the auto start/stop but I don't see her remembering to disable it every start

WoodmanMN

Base
First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Yeah but this way no turning it off every time you start it. It's my wife's whip, she hates the auto start/stop but I don't see her remembering to disable it every start
If you have a trailer kit, all you need is a trailer light tester plugged in to make the BCM think there is a trailer attached. That disables the auto-stop/start too.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
having mine through the weekend, I sincerely can't tell 99% of the time when it stops and starts. My wife's jeep, it's as described in the OP, jerky and somewhat annoying. My sport, I can't tell. It's smooth and maybe as I drive in eco most of the time, maybe that's a contributing factor?

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger/2012 Miata
Hi all. I currently have a 2019 Ranger w/Auto Start/Stop.

I hate it... lol.. so, I read in the manual it would be disabled if you plugged in a laptop to charge via the 110 outlet. So, I decided to try an LED nightlight and that did the trick. Not all of them will work so it took me 2 or 3 before I found one that worked and wasn't too noticeable from the cabin area... however, with the BS you have the one in the rear cargo area, perhaps that will have the same results?

Evantually, I decided to use Forscan and turn it off permanently.

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger/2012 Miata
Hi all. I currently have a 2019 Ranger w/Auto Start/Stop.

I hate it... lol.. so, I read in the manual it would be disabled if you plugged in a laptop to charge via the 110 outlet. So, I decided to try an LED nightlight and that did the trick. Not all of them will work so it took me 2 or 3 before I found one that worked and wasn't too noticeable from the cabin area... however, with the BS you have the one in the rear cargo area, perhaps that will have the same results?

Evantually, I decided to use Forscan and turn it off permanently.
Here we go, similar text in the Ranger manual:
Any of the following conditions could result in an automatic restart of the engine if:
  • The blower fan speed increases or the climate control temperature changes.
  • You plug in or switch on an electrical accessory.

MoFoCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit 250, VW eGolf, 2021 Badlands
Barely notice the A-S-S system in my BL. It is annoying when you pull into a parking space and it stops, then starts again when you shift to park, then stops a second later when you switch off the ignition. Seems like unnecessary wear and tear added.

a33maxi

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport - sold
Barely notice the A-S-S system in my BL. It is annoying when you pull into a parking space and it stops, then starts again when you shift to park, then stops a second later when you switch off the ignition. Seems like unnecessary wear and tear added.
You can get around this by just hitting the engine stop button, it will automatically shift into park for you.
Sponsored