2021 Ford Bronco Sport vs. Jeep Cherokee vs. Mazda CX-5

VapourTrails

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
They are the shallowest car seats I have sat in. I'm only 5'8" so it's a minor nag for me. But a very noticeable one.

I'm very satisfied with every other aspect of the seats.
I agree the seats are too shallow and a not wide enough. This makes the cushion feel rounded in one spot. On the plus's side the heated seat setting is great.
Sponsored

Bpreston

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
It's really going to vary person to person. You'll need to test drive one yourself to find out. Softer seats are not necessarily better, there's a lot that goes into seat comfort.
Yeah, during the test drive I did not really notice... I already bought a BL w/o BL package that was on the lot, not really expecting the leather seats would be a huge difference. I perhaps should have ordered and waited. Now I may discuss an aftermarket approach that would recover and perhaps change the filling of the two front seats and the rears. I am not sure yet.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
CX-5 seems like an odd car to compare the other two to. It's meant for maximum on road comfort and not for off roading at all.
The comparison is also to a preproduction Badlands without the Badlands package.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
I personally never find the Car and Driver reviews useful. Their target demo is folks who want maximum road performance. I want a vehicle that doesn't make my ass sore on long drives and can get me to the fishing lakes I want to get to. They love Mazda and I've never been in one I wanted to own.

Fordfan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BRONCO SPORT OB
Kinda like comparing a fishing boat and a ski boat...........The Mazda and Bronco are two completely different market segments as far as I'm concerned. I would compare the Mazda to an Escape. I've looked at the 5 and it's nice but if you want the retro/ rugged look and off road capabilities.........

2001 escape

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Escape XLT
Nothing. Just more of it compared to the Forester I drove.
Ok, I have a Forester too....and a 1st Gen Escape, so I wasn’t aware that the Sport sight lines are a little difficult....thanks.

were you saying the Forester was easier or harder to judge (sorry I haven’t been paying attention)

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
Ok, I have a Forester too....and a 1st Gen Escape, so I wasn’t aware that the Sport sight lines are a little difficult....thanks.

were you saying the Forester was easier or harder to judge (sorry I haven’t been paying attention)
Ahh, a 1st generation Escape. Best vehicle ever.
I felt my Forester was a bit easier to judge. The Forester isn't as boxy as the Sport. Most noticable for me when I turn into my garage. I adjusted quickly, the Sport just fits me.

OP
OP
Fossil

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
got out of my Raptor and test drove a bl+bl the other day. first impression was the hood is kinda big lol.
second impression was it drove more like the Raptor than my wife's 2020 Escape, in a good way. probable the more upright seating but also the steering wasn't as twitchy with a better on center feel. I enjoyed the drive. way better than the wife's old 05 Escape imo, I'm 6'2" and it never welcomed me. the Sport is a nice little ute, felt right.
I'm looking to order one once the dust settles a bit, maybe a 2022.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Yeah, during the test drive I did not really notice... I already bought a BL w/o BL package that was on the lot, not really expecting the leather seats would be a huge difference. I perhaps should have ordered and waited. Now I may discuss an aftermarket approach that would recover and perhaps change the filling of the two front seats and the rears. I am not sure yet.
You can do Katzkin leather, they're on the Web.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I agree the seats are too shallow and a not wide enough. This makes the cushion feel rounded in one spot. On the plus's side the heated seat setting is great.
Matter of preference, right? Loved the bench in my F-150, my VW is right in the middle for depth and bolstering; I don't like a seat that sucks you in and drowns you. A bolstered performance seat would be great for that type of vehicle, which the Sport is not. I'm about average, so fat or thin is not an issue for me that it might be for some others.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I am finding the common complaint in reviews that the seats are uncomfortable or lacking in cushioning. While I agree some things are missing, and I also have a nagging lower back injury, is everyone experiencing the seat issues as well? That was a "con" in this review specifically.
The Badlands has a 6-way power driver's seat only; the package (not tested) adds that for the passenger, plus 2-way lumbar for the driver, plus leather. Big difference.

VapourTrails

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
Matter of preference, right? Loved the bench in my F-150, my VW is right in the middle for depth and bolstering; I don't like a seat that sucks you in and drowns you. A bolstered performance seat would be great for that type of vehicle, which the Sport is not. I'm about average, so fat or thin is not an issue for me that it might be for some others.
Well I came from a VW and the seats were one of the best things. Very comfortable. In time, the bronco seats will break in and I’ll adjust.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
A lot of complaints about the seats. I sat in a Big Bend and didn't think the seats were all that bad. Are the badlands seats not the same with just different material? I have a Badlands with the Badlands package on order so I hope the leather seats are nicer.
Felt fine to me, the leather is nice. No seat cushion tilt, I'll miss that but can make the other adjustments work just fine. I don't feel the "short" or "shallow" complaints personally, I sit on the seat not in it, and my feet are on the floor. Whatever people are used to maybe? My challenge, there's not much room to swing my legs and feet in and out, more with the seat adjusted back a lot further than I want for driving. Same was true in my VW until I developed my entry/exit technique! The seat adjusts surprisingly HIGH.

Bpreston

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
You can do Katzkin leather, they're on the Web.
Ive already submitted for a quote and a local installer. Looking like I will be spending what the added BL package would have been, but I guess I didn’t have to wait... oh well.

Bpreston

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
The Badlands has a 6-way power driver's seat only; the package (not tested) adds that for the passenger, plus 2-way lumbar for the driver, plus leather. Big difference.
Yeah, even without the BL package my driver seat is power and without the tilt function I am finding it hard to unload my lower back. I’m worried I’ve purchased something I am going to be unable to drive comfortably. It’s really got me concerned. Damn these seats!! Never would have thought about this going from my car to this suv.
Sponsored