Moderate Off-Roading

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
So, I replaced the front bumper on my 21 BL in May (through insurance) because I was very new and got 'frisky going 'off road'. I offset it in quotes as I simply mean an area near my house where they are constructing new homes, but haven't begun yet.

I tried again last night (being overly cautious and just creeping) and I still managed to f-up my 4-month-old bumper. Granted, its not as bad/big as before but it's still there. I'm doing the replacement myself this time, but that's still at least $320.

I know I am new at this but am I doing something wrong? I mean, I was barely making headway and the 'ditch' was about 6 inches deep but still. I like to have a little fun with the BL but this is getting ridiculous.
Sponsored

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
I'm guessing that you scratched some of the black plastic on the underside of the bumper?

I think that if you are concerned about scratching that part then off road driving is not for you.

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Battle scars. My work truck has plenty of dings, dents, and paint scratches just from traversing the FS roads and doing the same as you - Moderate off-roading.

My gov rig is a Ram 1500. Higher clearance, bigger tires, bigger engine, every upgrade you can think of as compared to the Sport. I'm not driving recklessly, especially not in a government vehicle, but these things just happen even if you're doing everything right. If we had to replace our trim pieces every time we got a new dent, this agency would cost the taxpayers millions of dollars every year.

Embrace the first ding and make plenty of fantastic memories getting more.

dakman

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
A 1 1/2" lift will help a lot with a skid plate for easy off roading. Won't cost much more than replacing that bumper cover

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
if i'm going thru a ditch or drop, i try to go one wheel at a time, or get my gf to drive and i spot for her. i've scuffed the bumpers many times, and as mentioned above, battle scars lol.
just take it slow, you'll get it.

delm

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS Badlands; '23 BS Badlands; BMW X3, X7
Angle of descent into the ditch comes to mind. Hard to say. But also, the BS only has 8" of ground clearance, so that 6" guestimate ditch might well be 8", and if actually 6", doesn't take much for the suspension to dip 2", which would create contact.

With any off roading, even as light as you describe here, 2 things can't be overstated: Ground Clearance and wheel travel. A 1" or a 1.5" lift can make a world of difference for any off-roading experience, at all.

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
So, I replaced the front bumper on my 21 BL in May (through insurance) because I was very new and got 'frisky going 'off road'. I offset it in quotes as I simply mean an area near my house where they are constructing new homes, but haven't begun yet.

I tried again last night (being overly cautious and just creeping) and I still managed to f-up my 4-month-old bumper. Granted, its not as bad/big as before but it's still there. I'm doing the replacement myself this time, but that's still at least $320.

I know I am new at this but am I doing something wrong? I mean, I was barely making headway and the 'ditch' was about 6 inches deep but still. I like to have a little fun with the BL but this is getting ridiculous.

You’ve messed up your bumper twice and asking if you did something wrong?

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Front bumper plastic and in vulnerable location.

el_barto

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 NotaFord
Can we see pictures of the “damage”?

Scratches and minor dents happen offroad. If you want to keep a vehicle pristine, off-roading isn’t going to help. You can “cheat” the geometry (approach/departure/break over angles, ground clearance) with wheel placement/line picking and approaching obstacles diagonally.

Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
That’s interesting. I was doing steps on outlaw trail and didn’t scratch my plate at all. (I have the rally innovations front plate installed).

mind you, I also have the 1.25 badlands lift from HRG and upped the tires to 245/65/17. But still…. I’m surprised unless something was sticking up or something. I mean, those steps were at least 9-10in I was doing and I had plenty of clearance on angles as the front kept going Up the hill. would have probably been ok even before the lift.

I was able to do some pretty deep holes and ditches near my home that are at least a good foot deep or more before the lift. (People go muddying There on the rare occasions we have water magically fall from the sky)

I’m in a BL as well.

maybe it’s the angles of what you are trying to do. ????

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
A-find a better line
B- get a skid
C- the front bumper clearance is awful. Mines chewed up, even lifted. Get a skid. The whole front end sits about 2” to low and kills the approach on these.
D-Go slower and pick a better line

OP
OP
bjbena

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
I'm guessing that you scratched some of the black plastic on the underside of the bumper?

I think that if you are concerned about scratching that part then off road driving is not for you.
It has a 'tear' near the driverside screw that holds the bash plate. I figured if I went slow, I guess not.
if i'm going thru a ditch or drop, i try to go one wheel at a time, or get my gf to drive and i spot for her. i've scuffed the bumpers many times, and as mentioned above, battle scars lol.
just take it slow, you'll get it.
Scuffing I don't mind. This is an actual tear.
You’ve messed up your bumper twice and asking if you did something wrong?
Obviously I did. That was my backdoor method of getting tips from people a little more experienced. Way to catch on ...

OP
OP
bjbena

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
Can we see pictures of the “damage”?

Scratches and minor dents happen offroad. If you want to keep a vehicle pristine, off-roading isn’t going to help. You can “cheat” the geometry (approach/departure/break over angles, ground clearance) with wheel placement/line picking and approaching obstacles diagonally.
I'll post tomorrow. It definitely is not as bad as the first time. There was a dang hole in the bumper the size of an apple last time. Now, it's about a 1 inch 'tear near where it meets the bash plate.

I guess this is a good excuse to change the Bronco letterings to the black First Edition color ...

Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
It has a 'tear' near the driverside screw that holds the bash plate. I figured if I went slow, I guess not.

Scuffing I don't mind. This is an actual tear.

Obviously I did. That was my backdoor method of getting tips from people a little more experienced. Way to catch on ...
I learned a lot going out with a local club once, and watching tons of good YouTube channels (mainstream ones) and reading.

I still got “battle scars” when a rock rolled when at the Box Canyon out here. It wasn’t that tall when my tire got in it… but it rolled and the underground part wa much taller.

not bumper… floor pan. ;-). Still drives just fine and forded water.

Check rally innovations (aluminum) or HRG (Steele) skids to cover the bumper. The thing to worry about is what’s IN the front bumper.

also there is a bash over some vitals on the driver side (under the carpet stuff)…. But our fuel lines are exposed on the driver side. So watch out there too.

Good luck, enjoy the thing.

Ford Bronco Sport Moderate Off-Roading DB72B362-611B-453E-BEEC-7796EA175A76

Ford Bronco Sport Moderate Off-Roading D53AB222-8A39-48F7-BA68-432C9D1874AF

Ford Bronco Sport Moderate Off-Roading 6607A15B-0FB7-45F8-B115-027B3515CFEE

Ford Bronco Sport Moderate Off-Roading 77398CD6-ECB4-466E-B360-FECF2D68E7FC

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
If bumper has a tear you could repair it instead of replacing it. 3M has lots of how-to videos that show how to repair bumpers using their products.
Sponsored