Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Come to think of it, none of the vehicles I've owned over the last 32 years came with one of those screw-in-thingies, or a shackle insert if equipped with a hitch.
My VW Golf comes with an screw in eyelet and recovery points on the front and back.
Sponsored

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
And screw-in thingies are not really off road recovery points, which I thought was the point.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
And a Golf is not exactly an off-road vehicle.
That was my point, or at least that providing this kind of thing is not out of the ordinary.

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Absolutely, FordPass points can be used to purchase many things. The problem is:

1) It's not clear that Ford sells a shackle hitch.
2) Using FordPass points is the same as using your own money.

In fact, it may be worse -- if Ford sells a shackle hitch but it's very expensive and/or not particularly good quality.

As I said above though -- whatever people want to do.

This should go without saying, but wrong is wrong -- no matter how many people or companies do it.

Good points, but the current BS (2021/22) *does* come with a rear recovery point. So it is reasonable for BS owners to expect it to be there -- whether or not they have the tow package.

The tow package deletes it. Ford does not notify owners of that fact (let alone replace the deleted recovery point). Owners will only find out when they are nose first in a ditch and need to be pulled out.
They provided a very good recovery point - the hitch. Use whatever means of attachment you want. As stated it could be as simple as a hitch pin or some sort of elaborate rotating shackle. Should Ford provide a strap too? Most people don't have those either. If people are going to venture off road then they should prepare themselves.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
And screw-in thingies are not really off road recovery points, which I thought was the point.
Right off the bat, I'll admit that I'm not a tow truck driver, and I haven't done any extreme off-roading. With that said:

* If we're honest, most of us are not regularly running the Rubicon trail or exploring Moab. The vast majority of recoveries will be of the more common variety -- a driver hit some black ice and slid into a ditch, etc. My point is that a tow eye is a) much better than nothing, and b) probably plenty strong enough for routine recoveries.

* Yes, for more extreme situations, the shackle hitch receiver is clearly best.

Ford should provide some sort of recovery point on the rear -- especially for a vehicle marketed for off-road use. They do provide a tow eye on the BS models without the tow package. It could be argued that the rear tow points should have strength equal to the factory hooks on the front (a shackle hitch), but a tow eye is OK.

To eliminate the tow eye and not say anything is irresponsible.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They provided a very good recovery point - the hitch. Use whatever means of attachment you want. As stated it could be as simple as a hitch pin or some sort of elaborate rotating shackle. Should Ford provide a strap too? Most people don't have those either. If people are going to venture off road then they should prepare themselves.
No, of course Ford should not provide a strap.

This is primarily about having some sort of recovery point on the rear for routine use. A tow eye would be fine for the vast majority of situations most drivers may find themselves in -- but we do not even have that. So we need something.

IOW, if our Badlands had the standard tow eye, we would not be having this discussion. If/when we ever decide to go rock crawling, I'd get whatever equipment we might need.

What Ford *should* do is provide a replacement for the tow eye that they eliminate (without notice) with the hitch package.

A basic shackle hitch does not cost that much more -- especially in quantity -- than a tow eye.

A hitch pin will work for a basic, straight-line recovery (as you said), but Ford does not even provide the pin.

A shackle hitch more closely replaces the tow eye.

BTW -- it should go without saying that I am not intentionally singling out Ford. They seem to be a good company overall. It is important to point out issues though and encourage mfrs to do better.

Jess1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
There is a recovery point. A tow point (they're not the same, btw) would be rather redundant. And silly. And yes, one can get a shackle for no additional cost from your friendly dealer.... *sigh*

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Right off the bat, I'll admit that I'm not a tow truck driver, and I haven't done any extreme off-roading. With that said:
Well I have been a tow truck driver, and do a lot of off-road (mainly snow wheeling) with off road recovery in my '70 Bronco.

* If we're honest, most of us are not regularly running the Rubicon trail or exploring Moab. The vast majority of recoveries will be of the more common variety -- a driver hit some black ice and slid into a ditch, etc. My point is that a tow eye is a) much better than nothing, and b) probably plenty strong enough for routine recoveries.

* Yes, for more extreme situations, the shackle hitch receiver is clearly best.
It would be helpful to decide which type of recovery we are talking about - the topic keeps switching. Black ice into a ditch is a completely different circumstance. But as a (former) tow truck driver I am not going to stand on the side of a highway and wait for someone, whose already shaken up from going off the highway, to dig through their vehicle looking for a tow-eye that neither one of us knows they even have - especially if it's buried under a bunch of luggage in the cargo area. I'm going to use a bridle or other means that is typically used to recover vehicles, which involves winching onto a roll-back or using boom winches (not straps or ropes) to get the recovery done as quickly and safely as possible. Any reputable towing company will also have a receiver insert to use on vehicles that are equipped with a factory-built hitch. No hooking up to home-made or customer supplied attachments.

On the off-road end of things, in most cases I would be very reluctant to hook up to a tow-eye - especially again if someone has to dig through their vehicle to try and find it. Off road recoveries have been done for decades without them - I don't recall any problem finding something to hook onto. In some cases it might be convenient, but It's just not that big of deal. [/quote]

Ford should provide some sort of recovery point on the rear -- especially for a vehicle marketed for off-road use. They do provide a tow eye on the BS models without the tow package. It could be argued that the rear tow points should have strength equal to the factory hooks on the front (a shackle hitch), but a tow eye is OK.

To eliminate the tow eye and not say anything is irresponsible.
Not irresponsible at all. As stated, they already have. A quick Google search shows you can buy receiver inserts from $10.99 on up, many less than $30. Pick your flavor. Most people don't even know what a tow-eye is and will never miss it.

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
Exploratory questioning
Lower end models lack front end hooks
Has anyone determined if the bolt hole(s) exist for the front tow hook?

Ford Bronco Sport Rear tow hook 1652490995043

If it does end up being a "not gonna happen" it's on to plan B
Plan B
Find suitable Bull Bar
Here's what I've noticed though
Of the bars being offered
None of them have a hook accessory at the bar/frame mount location?
Seems like the best combo one could ask for
Strapping the bar could be a leverage weak point
hence a hook right at the frame/bar connection point

Jess1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
The bolt hole is there, but only the BL and 1st ED get the mounting bracket. Without that, the hooks will pull out...

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
The bolt hole is there, but only the BL and 1st ED get the mounting bracket. Without that, the hooks will pull out...
Okay, if I understand this correctly
  • the hole is present for the threaded rod portion of the hook
  • But the mounting plate (bracket) towards the hook end is absent?

Jess1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Bracket is at the back, and is directly attached to a body rib. I don't belive anyone has fabbed up a replacement piece... yet.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reactions: MJE