thegadgetfish

Outer Banks
First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Can someone link me where they got their recovery hook? I ordered the one for Ford Escapes on amazon, but it wouldn’t screw in. I asked the dealer as well, but they’re pretty clueless…
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Yes, but "any stronger" than what? .
What are the maximum static and dynamic load limits?
IOW, how much does it take to damage the structure of the vehicle and/or the receiver?
I finally found the pics I took of the OEM hitch assembly. Obviously, I don't have engineering numbers on which to base my assumptions, but I don't think using the receiver as a recovery point will be an issue.

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/rough-country-1-5-lift-kit-installed.5569/page-2#post-101141

Outback Texan

Badlands
First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
Can someone link me where they got their recovery hook? I ordered the one for Ford Escapes on amazon, but it wouldn’t screw in. I asked the dealer as well, but they’re pretty clueless…
i just went straight to the dealer, and the fella was able to cross reference and find the piece for me.

i also do not see the access door for the front bumper on my 21 base. maybe behind the license plate but i dont think there is a front eyelet access cover on the front of mine.

OP
OP
Weston52

Weston52

Big Bend
First Name
Weston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Solara, 91 Miata
i just went straight to the dealer, and the fella was able to cross reference and find the piece for me.

i also do not see the access door for the front bumper on my 21 base. maybe behind the license plate but i dont think there is a front eyelet access cover on the front of mine.
There is no access cover on the front bumper because there is no screw-in point on the front bumper Like the rear. Badlands type recovery hooks can be added to the front but it looked like a complicated process.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
There is no access cover on the front bumper because there is no screw-in point on the front bumper Like the rear. Badlands type recovery hooks can be added to the front but it looked like a complicated process.
yeah i'm pretty sure i don't have one, maybe it's a base model thing?

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
Omg I feel like an idiot, I never tried screwing it in reverse… i’ll have to order it again since I returned it 🤦‍♀️
Don't feel bad. Very few things are reverse thread. Maybe there is a good reason for it in this case, but I can't imagine what it would be.

As for ordering it again, I just checked the Amazon link above. Almost $40 (with tax) is a lot to pay for something that should have been supplied with the vehicle.

What's worse is that Ford did not publicize the fact that they decided to eliminate it. The owner's manual says, "You must carry the towing eye in your vehicle at all times." So Ford is saying it is a critical piece of equipment, yet they do not provide it?

Why not eliminate the spare tire; the jack; and that plastic funnel?

We have no use for a towing eye (BL with tow package) but if we did I would expect Ford (or the dealer, but preferably Ford) to supply it.

We're talking about brand new, expensive cars. For parts to be deliberately deleted is inexcusable (aside from legit supply issues). To eliminate parts without even telling owners should be illegal (if it isn't).

No doubt there are plenty of BS owners who are unaware the towing eye was not supplied. Some of them will unfortunately end up in situations where they need to be winched out of a ditch or ravine -- only to find out Ford did not include the tow eye that they say "must be carried at all times."

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yeah i'm pretty sure i don't have one, maybe it's a base model thing?
It could be that none of the BS trims have a front attachment point for a towing eye. According to the owner's manual they should, "Carefully remove the front or rear towing eye attachment point cover."

Who knows -- maybe Ford copies and pastes from other manuals?

I know our BL does not have a front attachment point, but that did not surprise me too much since it has recovery hooks. That said, I did think it was odd that Ford would go to the trouble of deleting the tow eye recovery point (or at least the access panel) on the Badlands. If the other trims have it, they would save money by leaving it there.

It makes a lot more sense that it's missing if none of the trims have the front attachment point -- although they should. Granted, most recoveries are from the rear, but not all. Plenty of other vehicles have both front and rear recovery points.

Last edited:

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Weston52

Weston52

Big Bend
First Name
Weston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Solara, 91 Miata
Now that will be weird if it changed threads between model years but maybe it’s just another supply chain issue.

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
Our 2022 Badlands has the tow package and does not have a threaded hole behind the towing eye cover. I would also like to hear from BL owners *without* the tow package.

It seems odd that Ford would go to the trouble of eliminating it. It would be easier & cheaper to just leave the threaded hole there regardless of whether the particular BS has a receiver hitch. Benanza suggested (in post 35) that it may be covered by a part of the hitch. That could be true, but I looked around pretty good -- it appeared to be just an open space behind the cover. Either way though, a tow eye cannot be used.

It seems unlikely that the lack of a rear recovery point is due to the BL having 2 recovery hooks on the front. There should be at least one on the rear. My guess is that on any BS (BB/OB/BL) with a tow hitch, the thinking is that the hitch can be used as a recovery point. That's true, but:

a) There is some debate as to whether a hitch -- especially a light-duty class 2 hitch -- can safely be used in all situations. An icy parking lot is one thing, buried to the axles in mud down in a ditch is another.

b) If Ford thinks that all BS owners with a receiver hitch can use it as a recovery point (under all conditions), then they should supply us with something like Escape2Bronco linked to in post #40. Otherwise, the true cost of the tow package is hidden from buyers -- it is really an additional $60 (+/-).
After watching some videos from stamping to finish Its easy to not have that item in the frame. Its all in the programming of the stamping and welding the panels together. Thats when the decision to sunroof or not is made. What die gets used in this or that build.
Sponsored