Would you choose Bronco 4 doors or Bronco sport?

kissmetoomuch

First Edition
First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Hi Everyone!
If you have a choice between Bronco 4 door ( big bend) with sassquad and Bronco sport first edition , what would you choose? and reason for it

Thank you so much
Sponsored

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands
I’ve been back and forth. For me, the image that the Bronco projects is significant but real life is that I’m not going to be constantly off-roading. I have to navigate the streets of Seattle (and our appalling lack of snow removal) prob more than going into deep backwoods. I do want to go camping and do some boondocking. And the economics and MPG are important. Those are three reasons I will go with the Sport.

I will go with First Edition / Badlands + Badlands because I do want to go into the woods some, I do ham radio and want to go up some trails, and it is time to retire the Focus.

Bdub

First Edition
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
4 door Sport is going to my Wifey too. I may try and follow your plan and buy a full size for me!

mike978

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6
Good question, and one I am facing too. The image of the 4dr big Bronco as well as its looks are great. However the Sport is as spacious (going off the measurements shared to date), cheaper, available about a year ahead if you don’t have a reservation yet and just as capable for off roading that 95+% of people do as the Bronco.
I wished there were more options since Bronco sport has many fewer build configurations (no manual, no 2 door, 4 trims vs 6 etc).

Sundog

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-350 LB, 2018 Toyota Rav4
We went with the Bronco Sport Badlands with upgrades. Love the look, size, & off-road capability which will take us everywhere we would be wheeling. The 4 door full size is amazing & so much better than the Rubicon, imho!
Having a full size that can extreme rock crawl would be more than I would do with a daily driver, but the look of one purpose built for that on the street is what most people appreciate. I would estimate that at least 75% of hardcore wheeling units on the street never see hard core trails, but I love to look at them & imagine how I would set one up.
Just follow your passion & pocketbook.

Slickrock

Badlands
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
If I'm still in LA, driving freeways 95%, easy, the Sport. If I'm in NM with a lot of trails? easy, the Bronco.

Slickrock

Badlands
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
One other consideration that I'm thinking more about. Based on the the photos here, the interior of the Sport is nicer that the full size Bronco I think overall, but need to sit in one to see how it really is. Makes a difference depending on if your driving all day, and what you're driving on.

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
My main reasons for going to for the Sport and not the Big Bronco:

- I already like the 2nd gen Boxy Escape - esp the shape, and the rear flip glass, etc. It is not "bubbly" looking. I have always liked the more square looking SUVs: (Isuzu Rodeao, Old Nissan Pathfinders, Old Foresters, Chrokee Sport XJ, Mitsubishi Pajero/Montero, 4Runner etc)
- The Sport is a more modern/refined boxy 2nd gen Escape with more off road goodies and tech, in Badlands trim: it's the perfect thing for me as it is more off road ready than my 2010 AWD Escape for sure AND it retains the good features and the boxy Escape. Only negative is the lower tow capacity, but not a deal breaker. I have not towed anything with my Escape although it has an aftermarket hitch installed. The Sport gets more safety and comfort convenience tech: It just goes further where the old Escape stopped. And from what I hear, the 2L is a decently reliable engine. 245 HP and 275 lb-ft torque should keep me happy for what I intend to do with it.

I am an avid hiker who hike a lot in and out of state and do some mild climbing esp in winter months so the Sport is perfect for me. It gets me TO the trails, and I don't need to drive ON the trails as I only hike them, so the real Bronco is too much for me and I would not use it to its full potential. I just was never into driving on trails/"real off roading" in a car.

The Sport will get me through some moderately rough areas to trail heads that are hard to approach without decent off road and AWD capability. To use a shoe analogy, where the real Bronco is a rock/mountain climbing shoe, the Sport is an approach shoe: you can approach hard to reach areas in it and do SOME climbing with those.
AND it will look more "normal" for city and driving to work when needed. That is important for me. It's just the right blend, IMO. It's modern without looking too modern/curvy on the outside.

I have never bought a new car. All my cars have been used. This is the 1st time I have been excited about a new car in a LONG time. Because finally there's something that's modern AND aesthetically pleasing to my rather old fashioned eyes.

Last edited:

Alloy07

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Focus , Audi S3 , Subaru Crosstrek
We owned an original Bronco and had a lot of fun with it . We took it all over the eastern states . We also owned a Bronco II and we loved it ,put lots of miles on it and sold it to a friend who used it for several more years. I really like the Sport and it would definitely meet our needs . But I think Ford builds awesome trucks and I wonder if a body on frame Bronco would last longer and overall be more reliable .For me it’s really difficult to tell at this point without driving both or even reading road test of both , how they accelerate , ride quality on and off road etc.

OP
OP

kissmetoomuch

First Edition
First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
If you have only one shot, which one would you choose? I don’t want to choose Bronco sport and regret , or chose the Bronco 4 doors and regret! I am going to have it for long time. Thank you

Slickrock

Badlands
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
If you have only one shot, which one would you choose? I don’t want to choose Bronco sport and regret , or chose the Bronco 4 doors and regret! I am going to have it for long time. Thank you
Ok, let's look at a few things...

You live in Santa Ana, so you're likely sitting in traffic on the 5, the 405, and maybe the 57 a lot. That's where the Sport is going to shine. Saves on gas and is more comfortable. Also easier to park when you head down the 55 to Newport Beach.

On the flip side, unless you drive out at least past Barstow, you're not likely to get anyplace where the full capabilities of the Bronco are going to come into play, and that's a 2+ hour drive to get to those places. We don't have much 4-wheeling in the LA basin, and you absolutely don't want to go around the nutcases that are driving in the Azusa Canyon 4WD area.

Then there's the CA gas prices....

And if you're big on the mountains, it's also unclear how well chains will work on the full size Bronco, especially with 35's, if you're headed up to Big Bear, the Sport may well do better here as well.

So... living in the heart of SoCal... unless you're really taking road trips where the Bronco can shine, I'd lean towards the Sport. Sure you can show off in the full size Bronco.. but there are thousands of bros in SoCal with 4x4s that never touch dirt doing the same, so that's no big deal.

I live in San Pedro, so I'm making the same decision process... and it's just hard to justify the full size Bronco. (I have the added factor of tight parking at my condo).

So.. unless you have a trailer to tow.... or get out of town a lot, I'd say Sport.

OP
OP

kissmetoomuch

First Edition
First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
I would love both however I chose the sport. Reason 1. Delivery sooner. 2. The fact that the doors and roof cannot be removed easily. I'm good with rolling down the windows.. maybe the moonroof if it opens and open the lift gate for more air.

Do you want a small suv that is more capable off-road than most small suvs or do you want a street legal dune buggy that more fun yet less comfortable on-road than most suvs and more capable off-road than most factory vehicles?
Thank you, by the way, around $38,000 plus delivery for Bronco sport. My work supervisor got Tacoma 4x4 TRD off road for 39,000 $ from Toyota dealer that Could go off road and he said very reliable

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
A Bronco Sport, which is an off -road ready crossover sub-compact SUV, cannot be compared with a mid-sized pickup TRUCK. They serve different purposes, and are 2 vehicle categories; you need to compare Bronco Sport to other vehicles in same category.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
A Bronco Sport, which is an off -road ready crossover sub-compact SUV, cannot be compared with a mid-sized pickup TRUCK. They serve different purposes, and are 2 vehicle categories; you need to compare Bronco Sport to other vehicles in same category.
I agree with that to a point, however individuals who are cross-shopping vehicles shouldn't be limited to some "category", (e.g. "compact SUV" or "pickup"). I say that because many have specific needs they are shopping for. If it is commuting and getting back into the woods on a rutted fire road are the goal, then a Bronco Sport and a Tacoma are more aligned than say a Bronco Sport and a CX-5, which are both compact SUVs. Many Tacoma owners do not use their trucks for hauling cargo, rather as offroad lifestyle vehicles.
Sponsored