kshaw

Outer Banks
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport;350Z;Hybrid Escape
I have used one of the Ottocast wireless adapters on my 350Z for a little over a year. With these you do not have to plug your phone into a USB cable. I have been pleased with it except for the slow connect time (up to 40 seconds) and sometimes it fails to connect to the phone. I have recently learned that the newer versions of the adapter now use 5g WiFi rather than the 2.4 g WiFi with much better speed. I bought one of these from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Auerds-Wireless-Carplay-Adapter-Bluetooth/dp/B0CJ4P21FK/ref=sr_1_6?crid=6BTH3XXU63P5&keywords=apple+carplaywireless+adapter&qid=1698156376&sprefix=carplayw,aps,106&sr=8-6 and it reduced the connect time to about 5 seconds. This one will only work with CarPlay but other slightly more expensive adapters will support both Android Play and CarPlay. I got one to replace the Ottocast and another for the BS. Pleased so for.
Sponsored

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
These adapters use Bluetooth for connection, not WiFi. Thanks for sharing your experience with this particular unit. I have been using a CarLinkit for a few years and it also suffers from the slow connection. Sometimes, I've already backed out of the garage, down the drive, and am 2-3 houses down the street before it will connect. Others, it has connected by the time I have gotten to the end of the drive.

OP
OP
kshaw

kshaw

Outer Banks
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport;350Z;Hybrid Escape
These adapters use Bluetooth for connection, not WiFi. Thanks for sharing your experience with this particular unit. I have been using a CarLinkit for a few years and it also suffers from the slow connection. Sometimes, I've already backed out of the garage, down the drive, and am 2-3 houses down the street before it will connect. Others, it has connected by the time I have gotten to the end of the drive.
in its description:
"With its built-in 5GHz WiFi module and 5.0 Bluetooth technology, the bluetooth car adapter quickly recognizes your phone, ensuring a stable and real-time sync without delays."

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
… I have recently learned that the newer versions of the adapter now use 5g WiFi rather than the 2.4 g WiFi with much better speed … reduced the connect time to about 5 seconds.
This pic of there ad says it uses Bluetooth 5.0. Ad says 0s delay in one spot and 5-15s quick start in another spot. But that’s still quick for wireless CarPlay adapters.. thanks for posting!!

[Edit] but it also says “After the first setup, our wireless CarPlay adapter will automatically connect to CarPlay every time the car starts. With its built-in 5GHz WiFi module and 5.0 Bluetooth technology, the bluetooth car adapter quickly recognizes your phone, ensuring a stable and real-time sync without delays.”

not sure what the built in WiFi is doing but that’s what the ad states.

Ford Bronco Sport Wireless Adapters Work Much Better Now 1698166339078

Last edited:

coopny

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS BL
Wireless Carplay functions in two parts: Bluetooth handles the audio and the original connection, then the car (or carplay adapter, in the case of the BS which doesn't support carplay natively) negotiates a connection over wifi to stream the video/screen content.

These adapters work pretty well for Carplay (there is no real "first party" option) but they're not perfect. Audio delay is a little under a second which is fine for skipping/pausing music and GPS turn-by-turn directions. Startup time is important, the newer Ottocast units are much closer.

The ottocasts at least can get a little wonky (unplug/replug to reboot required) if you do extended remote starts (10 minutes plus generally, the ottocast gets power when the remote start starts and looks for a phone to connect to).

Never update the firmware if everything is working fine. Only if you're having a problem.

If you need Android Auto compatibility, Motorola MA1 is the best adapter, period. Look no further. Can go on sale for around $70-$80 at time, set a deal alert on slickdeals if it isn't an urgent purchase.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Wireless Carplay functions in two parts: Bluetooth handles the audio and the original connection, then the car (or carplay adapter, in the case of the BS which doesn't support carplay natively) negotiates a connection over wifi to stream the video/screen content.

These adapters work pretty well for Carplay (there is no real "first party" option) but they're not perfect. Audio delay is a little under a second which is fine for skipping/pausing music and GPS turn-by-turn directions. Startup time is important, the newer Ottocast units are much closer.

The ottocasts at least can get a little wonky (unplug/replug to reboot required) if you do extended remote starts (10 minutes plus generally, the ottocast gets power when the remote start starts and looks for a phone to connect to).

Never update the firmware if everything is working fine. Only if you're having a problem.

If you need Android Auto compatibility, Motorola MA1 is the best adapter, period. Look no further. Can go on sale for around $70-$80 at time, set a deal alert on slickdeals if it isn't an urgent purchase.
That is interesting that it switches from Bluetooth to WiFi, or maybe it adds WiFi. I saw the 5GHz callout on another adapter page but it did not say anything about WiFi, so I thought that had something to do with the processor.

coopny

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS BL
That is interesting that it switches from Bluetooth to WiFi, or maybe it adds WiFi. I saw the 5GHz callout on another adapter page but it did not say anything about WiFi, so I thought that had something to do with the processor.
Wireless Carplay is a simultaneous bluetooth and wifi connection. Bluetooth continues to handle the audio. Wifi handles other device communication (negligible bandwidth, things like touchscreen inputs) and sending the screen as an H.264/H.265 video stream. The phone does all the hard work, which is why stereos from 2015 can handle Carplay with the newest iPhones still.

This is seamless for the end user when working properly and there's no reason for an end user to know that wireless carplay uses wifi except for the fact that you can't turn your iPhone into a personal hotspot (or connect to a wifi network for data) while wireless Carplay is running.

mdwheaton

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I disagree.
I used the MA1 for a very long time.
You cannot upgrade the firmware, bad.
You cannot change the wifi channel, bad.
You cannot change the screen DPI, bat.
AAWireless has worked great for me.
Sponsored