Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
This is covered under warranty, check with your dealership to see if this applies to you:

Addresses wireless charger inoperative or poor performance when using Apple iPhone models that use MagSafe wireless charging including iPhone 12, 13, 14 etc. This may be due to limited compatibility with the Wireless Accessory Charging Module (WACM).

NOTE: The WACM software is designed to improve the compatibility between Apple MagSafe charging iPhones, including iPhone 12, 13 and 14, etc. models, and the Ford Qi wireless charging module.

Ford TSB 22-2485 Wireless Accessory Charger Inoperative/Poor Performance With Magsafe Charging iPhones

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10228800-0001.pdf

Read abit more info on this full-size Bronco forum:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/wireless-charger-software-update.72276/
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dude

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FYI, there is not much info about what the update for TSB 22-2485 actual does other than ā€˜improves the compatibility between Apple MagSafe charging iPhones and the vehicles wireless charging padā€™.

My guess is the WACM software update better follows Apples specification for MagSafe compatible chargers.

The TSB 22-2485 WACM software update will not fix the followingā€¦

iPhones incorrectly placed on the charging pad and not aligned with the MagSafe area on the back of the iPhone,

iPhones that bounce or slide on the charging pad and lose charging contact,

iPhone cases that inhibit or prevent MagSafe charging,

The charging pad is only 5W and another person measured only about 3.6W is actually going towards charging, the rest is lost.. some due to heat (often iPhones get very warm while sitting on the charging pad). The TSB 22-2485 WACM software update should help some with charging efficiency but the charging pad is only 5W to begin with.

I donā€™t expect the TSB 22-2485 WACM software update will significantly improve the iPhone charging experience.

However letā€™s hear from anyone that has the TSB 22-2485 WACM software update performed on their vehicle.

Let us know your experience before and after with your MagSafe iPhone while charging on the Bronco Sportā€™s wireless charge pad.

Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Kodiak Brown Bronco Sport Badlands
This is covered under warranty, check with your dealership to see if this applies to you:

Addresses wireless charger inoperative or poor performance when using Apple iPhone models that use MagSafe wireless charging including iPhone 12, 13, 14 etc. This may be due to limited compatibility with the Wireless Accessory Charging Module (WACM).

NOTE: The WACM software is designed to improve the compatibility between Apple MagSafe charging iPhones, including iPhone 12, 13 and 14, etc. models, and the Ford Qi wireless charging module.

Ford TSB 22-2485 Wireless Accessory Charger Inoperative/Poor Performance With Magsafe Charging iPhones

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10228800-0001.pdf

Read abit more info on this full-size Bronco forum:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/wireless-charger-software-update.72276/
I have an iPhone 13 and donā€™t have issues charging it in an Otterbox cover in my ā€˜21 Badlands.

Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i plug my iPhone 13 Pro into the USB-C port below the 8ā€ Display. I donā€™t have any issues charging either. But charging on the bronco sports wireless charge pad is useless for me.
I wasnā€™t clear in my response. I use the charging pad for my iPhone13 in an Otterbox cover. No issues on 21 Badlands.

OP
OP
Dude

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wasnā€™t clear in my response. I use the charging pad for my iPhone13 in an Otterbox cover. No issues on 21 Badlands.
Yep I knew you meant that šŸ˜‰
Glad the charging pad works for you. I guess I know too much about the design of the charging pad.

The post is meant for all the rest of the people that have issues with their iPhone 12-14 (MagSafe) using the wireless charge pad and it was another owner that posted the dealership performed a software update which we think (are guessing) is the TSB 22-2485 WACM software update. Their dealership didnā€™t provide details.

In addition, the issue is not only with Bronco Sportā€™s - many owners of various Ford models with the wireless charge pad report the same problems - TSB 22-2485 applies to many models.

Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep I knew you meant that šŸ˜‰
Glad the charging pad works for you. I guess I know too much about the design of the charging pad.

The post is meant for all the rest of the people that have issues with their iPhone 12-14 (MagSafe) using the wireless charge pad and it was another owner that posted the dealership performed a software update which we think (are guessing) is the TSB 22-2485 WACM software update. Their dealership didnā€™t provide details.

In addition, the issue is not only with Bronco Sportā€™s - many owners of various Ford models with the wireless charge pad report the same problems - TSB 22-2485 applies to many models.
Interesting. Friend charges his newer model Samsung in Otterbox on the charging pad in his Edge with no issues.

Palom0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport 2021 Wildtrak, Carbonized Gray
I really am surprised about people that are able to charge their iPhones in the BS.
I've had mine for over a year and not once have I been able to keep it changing more than 5 minutes. Unless you drive really slow, it just moves around when I brake, turn or accelerate (not to mention speed bumps) and so the charger is always misaligned.
I have an iPhone Pro, not the Max, so it can move around in the charging space.

I am also surprised that, being the OEM charger so underpowered and -in my experience- the pad so bad, no-one has created an aftermarket unit to replace the OEM one.

I took mine apart to see whether I could replace it with another charger, but so far have not been able to find a suitable alternative.

Ford Bronco Sport Ford TSB 22-2485 - Wireless Charger Inoperative / Poor Performance With Magsafe Charging iPhones Wireless Charger Coil Cover.JPG

Ford Bronco Sport Ford TSB 22-2485 - Wireless Charger Inoperative / Poor Performance With Magsafe Charging iPhones Wireless Charger Underside.JPG

Rawah652

Badlands
First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport, 2004 Ford Thunderbird
I really am surprised about people that are able to charge their iPhones in the BS.
I've had mine for over a year and not once have I been able to keep it changing more than 5 minutes. Unless you drive really slow, it just moves around when I brake, turn or accelerate (not to mention speed bumps) and so the charger is always misaligned.
I have an iPhone Pro, not the Max, so it can move around in the charging space.
That's weird that you have so many issues keeping it aligned. I'm able to keep my AirPods charging on the mat with little issue, even on not great roads. Maybe one of the cleaning products you used made the rubber area super slippery?

OP
OP
Dude

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€¦ no-one has created an aftermarket unit to replace the OEM one.

Thank you for posting the pics and info. I found this pic on the Bronco forum link I posted at the top of the thread. Itā€™s a 15W aftermarket WIRELESS 15W CENTER CONSOLE PHONE CHARGER for the full size Bronco. I will reach out to 21 OFFROAD to see if they have any interest in sourcing a replacement 15W pad to replace the 5W pad in the BS.

The 2nd pic is also from the Bronco forum. I checked Amazon and today only was a lightning deal (normal price $14.99, reduced to $9.99 and 30% coupon (off the $14.99 price) so final price $5.49 with overnight delivery free. Must want to get rid of them but reviews are decent. Iā€™ll use my own USB-C to USB-C cable and needed another charger in the house anyway.
Ford Bronco Sport Ford TSB 22-2485 - Wireless Charger Inoperative / Poor Performance With Magsafe Charging iPhones IMG_7805

Ford Bronco Sport Ford TSB 22-2485 - Wireless Charger Inoperative / Poor Performance With Magsafe Charging iPhones IMG_7804

OP
OP
Dude

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's weird that you have so many issues keeping it aligned. I'm able to keep my AirPods charging on the mat with little issue, even on not great roads. Maybe one of the cleaning products you used made the rubber area super slippery?
Him and a zillion other Ford vehicle owners with the same sort of wireless charge pads have the same sliding around issue including me. The TSB i posted about does not of course do anything for the sliding around.

Perhaps the iPhone is more heavy than the AirPods charging case so its weight plays a role or maybe you just donā€™t notice if the AirPods are actually charging the entire time.

My iPhone says Juicing when connected to a charger and says Unpowered when disconnected so is very easy to tell when the iPhone isnā€™t aligned to the BS charging pad.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Seems like it wouldn't be that difficult to modify the charging dock to prevent phone movement. Here's what I'd do:
  1. Center the phone so it's charging.
  2. Use chalk (or tape, or some other non-permanent marker) to outline the phone's perimeter on the rubber pad.
  3. Create a tray using Sugru around the perimeter to prevent the phone from moving.
You wouldn't need much. I'd create a 1/8 - 3/16 inch tube of Sugru by rolling it between my hands, then stick the tube on the marked line. That should provide enough material to prevent the phone from sliding around, but be thin enough not to interfere with the storage space if your phone isn't in there. Further, it should easily peel off the rubber if you decide you don't like it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dude

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seems like it wouldn't be that difficult to modify the charging dock to prevent phone movementā€¦
Itā€™s not difficult and I did something similar but downsides remained so Iā€™m marginally hopeful TSB 22-2485 WACM software update will fix at least some of the inefficiencies in the charging pad to MagSafe interface:
- the charging pad is 5W and if only 3.8W is usefully transferred to charge, itā€™s very slow. Even if all 5W were 100% applied it is still much slower than Iā€™m used to
- heat: the iPhone gets toasty

We will see how much the TSB helps but that requires a lengthy dealership visit including leaving the vehicle with the dealership. Iā€™ll check if this update can be done by Fordā€™s mobile service.

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Him and a zillion other Ford vehicle owners with the same sort of wireless charge pads have the same sliding around issue including me. The TSB i posted about does not of course do anything for the sliding around.

Perhaps the iPhone is more heavy than the AirPods charging case so its weight plays a role or maybe you just donā€™t notice if the AirPods are actually charging the entire time.

My iPhone says Juicing when connected to a charger and says Unpowered when disconnected so is very easy to tell when the iPhone isnā€™t aligned to the BS charging pad.
I continually have the charging issue . I have a I phone 14 Pro Max with a silicone nonslip case.

Driving a round it still moves and I get the popup on the screen saying wireless charging inactive.

I've even tried staying parked with the phone in place and charging and I still get the popup after a short period showing it's not charging.

Frustrating, I don't use it anymore since I'm getting tired of continually adjusting the phone to charge and the annoying popup.
Sponsored