First Name
TK
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tonyadoughty.net
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport FE, 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
I had two complete replacements, couldn't be fixed, in the first year. Like you, my first one was only a couple weeks after I got it. Thank goodness for windshield replacement with my insurance, but worried at some point they'll cut me off.
Sponsored

vegasvic

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS BL, Ford F-150, Chevy C-10, '74+'75 Yamaha
Three in 1 year isn't so bad out here with all the gravel roads...and I don't mean driving on gravel roads either. Rocks end up on oiled roads, it just happens. What used to make me mad was living in Vegas and you'd get behind some construction (bad word) going down the freeway/interstate and all sorts of crap would come flying out the back of their vehicle. Bouncing off your windshield, the front of your car, off your undercarriage...

I bought a 2014 Jeep Patriot Latitude with the fun 'Oscar Mike' package. Before I even paid for it the dealer was pulling out paperwork saying there was some sort of window insurance or waiver or something due to the rake of the windshield. I was sort of surprised Ford didn't pull that out.

vic

Sensei

Big Bend
First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I have owned my Badlands a year and a half. I have gotten chips repaired 5 times, and am about to be on my third windshield due to my second major crack.

I have owned seven vehicles in my life and have never had to replace a windshield, only one of those vehicles ever got a chip that turned into a crack (another Ford).

Before you blame my driving or my climate, I follow at the max following distance on cruise control and the first crack happened in Texas, not Colorado.

There is plenty of rake in the windshield, it is not perpendicular to the road like a Jeep or FJ. I am of the opinion that these windshields are garbage and it's one of my least favorite things about my car. I feel completely helpless to prevent this from happening over and over again.

First two photos were taken 20 minutes apart. Third photo, one week following. I refrained from running my defroster for the entire week, this is still what happened.

Ford Bronco Sport Windshield Chips crack1

Ford Bronco Sport Windshield Chips crack2

Ford Bronco Sport Windshield Chips crack3
I have a spreading crack in the EXACT same place....
I am living with it but will be contacting insurance to get it replaced soon.

Bronco2.7

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350 civic CRV
I have had the worst luck in my OBX.
First chip came 8 days after I got it(Jan ā€˜22). Not terrible, I thought ok letā€™s get this first ding out the way. It was ā€œbehindā€ the rear view mirror so completely out of view and not a big deal. Had it repaired and felt great. Next came about August ā€˜22 another small chip able to be repaired but a little closer to field of view. Took about a week for my eye not to focus on it every time.
3rd most recent on 2/1 coming home from getting my new tags for the year. This one was bigger off to the side very new the inspection tag and some ā€œspider actionā€ right away.
Yesterday I go get it repaired, and they completely screw it up and it spreads about 6 inches. The chip is near the edge of the glass so itā€™s not middle or anything but WOW HOW FRUSTRATING. Iā€™ve probably had 3-4 chips in all my cars combined. So to have 3 in one year on my only brand new car Iā€™ve bought is terribly upsetting. Now Iā€™m overthinking everything and wondering ā€œis this a signā€ or is the height/shape of windshield more vulnerable? Etc etc.
Anyway, hope no one else is going through this.
It's not bad luck! They are completely junk windshields! Look around the rest of your Bronco donkey. Do you see or hear any other corners Ford cut? Plastic? Falsely advertising a junk stereo as premium ! What about felt wheel wells? I have 3000 miles on my donkey and the windshield looks worst than my 23 year old truck. Jeep offers gorilla glass. Whatever the heck that is. My stereo vibrates and rattles so bad I can't take it anymore. I'm having it replaced next week.

kcinac

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
The windshield on my Bronco Sport Cracked 2 weeks ago.
Everything was fine when I came home for the night.
The next morning it was cold so I remote started it.
Then I went out to go to work and there was one large crack that starts at the bottom edge of the windshield along the black frame then two pop up in the viewing area.
I have full glass insurance but this looks like either a design or manufacturing defect.
Does anyone think there is recourse with Ford to replace the windshield?
Ford Bronco Sport Windshield Chips inside
Ford Bronco Sport Windshield Chips outside both 2 cro
Ford Bronco Sport Windshield Chips Outside vin1 - cro

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
The windshield on my Bronco Sport Cracked 2 weeks ago.
Everything was fine when I came home for the night.
The next morning it was cold so I remote started it.
Then I went out to go to work and there was one large crack that starts at the bottom edge of the windshield along the black frame then two pop up in the viewing area.
I have full glass insurance but this looks like either a design or manufacturing defect.
Does anyone think there is recourse with Ford to replace the windshield?
Ford Bronco Sport Windshield Chips inside
Ford Bronco Sport Windshield Chips outside both 2 cro
Ford Bronco Sport Windshield Chips Outside vin1 - cro
I doubt it would be considered under warranty. No harm in asking though.

ipage

Big Bend
First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Big Bend
I have had the worst luck in my OBX.
First chip came 8 days after I got it(Jan ā€˜22). Not terrible, I thought ok letā€™s get this first ding out the way. It was ā€œbehindā€ the rear view mirror so completely out of view and not a big deal. Had it repaired and felt great. Next came about August ā€˜22 another small chip able to be repaired but a little closer to field of view. Took about a week for my eye not to focus on it every time.
3rd most recent on 2/1 coming home from getting my new tags for the year. This one was bigger off to the side very new the inspection tag and some ā€œspider actionā€ right away.
Yesterday I go get it repaired, and they completely screw it up and it spreads about 6 inches. The chip is near the edge of the glass so itā€™s not middle or anything but WOW HOW FRUSTRATING. Iā€™ve probably had 3-4 chips in all my cars combined. So to have 3 in one year on my only brand new car Iā€™ve bought is terribly upsetting. Now Iā€™m overthinking everything and wondering ā€œis this a signā€ or is the height/shape of windshield more vulnerable? Etc etc.
Anyway, hope no one else is going through this.
Not at all bad luck, this is mine after two months of freeze and thaw weather.

Ford Bronco Sport Windshield Chips IMG_3417

67L48

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350, 2023 BS BL
My 2019 F-350 went through 3 windshields in about 14 months. All were OEM glass. Every one was an immediate crack -- no fixable star cracks. All were on paved roads. The last straw was when I was in a state park (still a paved road) and going about 20 mph. Car in front of me (a little xuv) kicked up a rock and immediately cracked my windshield. Unbelievable.

For the 4th window, I allowed them to use the Safelite brand glass. Nearly 2+ years later and I've had no issues.

I think Ford uses crappy glass.

Someone above mentioned gorilla glass. This is available on the aftermarket for my truck (not sure about BS), but it's around $850, not including installation. My glass deductible was only $100, so that was never an option for me.

67L48

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350, 2023 BS BL
I don't expect that everyone will have the same experience is me. We are all different, drive differently, etc. I'm not so arrogant as to expect that I speak for all of mankind.

With that said, I have detailed my experience above and my conclusion remains the same and I'll quote myself: I think that Ford uses crappy glass. Note that I didn't say that Ford uses crappy glass. I said I think or believe they do. And, my response was limited, of course, to the front windshield and how it responds to road hazards.

Cheers.

baja_bob

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
A truck in front of me launched a rock off his tire the size of a large marble, I saw it coming as it got closer and it hit the bottom driver side corner and left a 3 inch circular impact mark. Luckily it hit the glass and not the outer frame, the windshield already has several cracks

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
I'll add my story and opinion(s).

I've driven for over 40 years, with many, many car ownerships. My current 2007 Ford F-150 is the first vehicle in those 40+ years to ever have a windshield replaced...and it was two windshields in 6 months! The first was a truck ahead of me tossing rocks onto the highway. I got along side of it long enough to write down their business name and plate number.
Called my insurance company, as here in Florida, windshields are replaced with no deductible.

Got it replaced.

Two weeks go by, and I saw a crack in the windshield halfway up on the drivers side, starting at the edge. I call the insurance company, as I felt this had to happen during the install. They at first said my rate could go up, as this was two claims within a six month period. I was not a happy camper. However, the glass replacement center (Safelight) covered it under their expense, claiming a warranty issue with the install. No insurance increase. I'm once again a happy camper.

That was a year ago. So far, no more issues.

I think the closer you live and drive on highways and freeways, the higher the chance for windshield damages, due largely that you share these roads with trucks, large and small.

Consider the smaller trucks, jeeps, and other SUV's with the large over-sized tires/wheels that have them sticking out past the wheel wells. They too are a hazard for tossing debris onto your windshield.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition