Outer Banks
First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have had the worst luck in my OBX.
First chip came 8 days after I got it(Jan ‘22). Not terrible, I thought ok let’s get this first ding out the way. It was “behind” the rear view mirror so completely out of view and not a big deal. Had it repaired and felt great. Next came about August ‘22 another small chip able to be repaired but a little closer to field of view. Took about a week for my eye not to focus on it every time.
3rd most recent on 2/1 coming home from getting my new tags for the year. This one was bigger off to the side very new the inspection tag and some “spider action” right away.
Yesterday I go get it repaired, and they completely screw it up and it spreads about 6 inches. The chip is near the edge of the glass so it’s not middle or anything but WOW HOW FRUSTRATING. I’ve probably had 3-4 chips in all my cars combined. So to have 3 in one year on my only brand new car I’ve bought is terribly upsetting. Now I’m overthinking everything and wondering “is this a sign” or is the height/shape of windshield more vulnerable? Etc etc.
Anyway, hope no one else is going through this.
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I got a half-dozen chips in the windshield of my Mustang over the 5 years I owned it. I've had the Badlands for over a year and not a single chip. I suspect it has to do with the fact that I commuted in the Mustang, and I've been retired the entire time I've owned the Badlands. I no longer spend the majority of my driving time in the left lane close to the car in front of me. I don't follow close at all, in fact, especially trucks, and especially in the winter when there tends to be more rocks and debris on the road.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
The shape makes it more vulnerable. Ask any Jeep owner about windshield replacements. My family has been in the auto glass business since the late 60’s. The more vertical the windshield is, the more vulnerable. The larger the surface area, the more vulnerable. Best advice is exactly what Mark @Mark S. said. Tailgating construction trucks and trailers is never advised. Problem is worse in states where there is more access to gravel or non paved roads. I’m sure Eric @Meanderthal can attest to it in Colorado. Cracked windshields out west is part of the price living there. Arizona, Utah, Nevada are just as bad.

Get chips sealed asap. Typically free from your insurance and most places come out and do it at your home or place of business.

Robert Flavor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2000 Kawasaki KLR650
I have owned my Badlands a year and a half. I have gotten chips repaired 5 times, and am about to be on my third windshield due to my second major crack.

I have owned seven vehicles in my life and have never had to replace a windshield, only one of those vehicles ever got a chip that turned into a crack (another Ford).

Before you blame my driving or my climate, I follow at the max following distance on cruise control and the first crack happened in Texas, not Colorado.

There is plenty of rake in the windshield, it is not perpendicular to the road like a Jeep or FJ. I am of the opinion that these windshields are garbage and it's one of my least favorite things about my car. I feel completely helpless to prevent this from happening over and over again.

First two photos were taken 20 minutes apart. Third photo, one week following. I refrained from running my defroster for the entire week, this is still what happened.

Ford Bronco Sport Windshield Chips crack1

Ford Bronco Sport Windshield Chips crack2

Ford Bronco Sport Windshield Chips crack3

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have owned my Badlands a year and a half. I have gotten chips repaired 5 times, and am about to be on my third windshield due to my second major crack.

I have owned seven vehicles in my life and have never had to replace a windshield, only one of those vehicles ever got a chip that turned into a crack (another Ford).

Before you blame my driving or my climate, I follow at the max following distance on cruise control and the first crack happened in Texas, not Colorado.

There is plenty of rake in the windshield, it is not perpendicular to the road like a Jeep or FJ. I am of the opinion that these windshields are garbage and it's one of my least favorite things about my car. I feel completely helpless to prevent this from happening over and over again.

First two photos were taken 20 minutes apart. Third photo, one week following. I refrained from running my defroster for the entire week, this is still what happened.

Ford Bronco Sport Windshield Chips crack1

Ford Bronco Sport Windshield Chips crack2

Ford Bronco Sport Windshield Chips crack3
Well, part of the blame is on our safety requirements. About 25 years ago, they required the middle layer (laminate) to made thicker. In order to allow current glass to fit in older vehicles, the outer and inner layers of glass were made thinner to account for the thicker inner layer.

It also depends on the amount of used glass is used in the process. The newer windshields are a bit softer because of the pressing process used to make the laminated glass creates more stress now in the glass so to offset the stress, they formulate the glass to be a bit softer.

Anyone traveling along interstate 44 outside of Wichita Falls Texas can see the large piles of used glass waiting to be processed at the PPG facility.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Well, part of the blame is on our safety requirements. About 25 years ago, they required the middle layer (laminate) to made thicker. In order to allow current glass to fit in older vehicles, the outer and inner layers of glass were made thinner to account for the thicker inner layer.
It's always great to hear from someone who actually knows what they're talking about, rather than people like me who cogitate, guestimate, and speculate. :like:

SapphireCat

Big Bend
First Name
Catie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I had my BS about 2 weeks before she took her first windshield hit here in Colorado (multilane highway. Car was 2 lanes over from me but that rock flew my way) resulting in a windshield replacement as it cracked across the entire windshield that day. My insurance paid for an OEM replacement; 6 months later I have probably 2 dozen tiny chips across that windshield. I don't consider myself to be a real tailgater but I travel on roads that get gravel and sand on them and then have a high volume of traffic. I have accepted the fact I will be replacing windshields on this vehicle at least as often as I have on other cars. I would be curious if a Gorilla Glass option might make itself available at some point like they have it for Wranglers and if that might make a difference.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's always great to hear from someone who actually knows what they're talking about, rather than people like me who cogitate, guestimate, and speculate. :like:
My father worked for Ford for over 35 years and his last 20 in the CarLite glass division. My brother worked in the auto glass business for 50 years with the last 35 running his own shop. So I must give credit where credit is due.

Last edited:

Barry S.

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
First chip came 8 days after I got it(Jan ‘22). Not terrible, I thought ok let’s get this first ding out the way. It was “behind” the rear view mirror so completely out of view and not a big deal. Had it repaired and felt great. Next came about August ‘22 another small chip able to be repaired but a little closer to field of view. Took about a week for my eye not to focus on it every time.
3rd most recent on 2/1 coming home from getting my new tags for the year. This one was bigger off to the side very new the inspection tag and some “spider action” right away.
Yesterday I go get it repaired, and they completely screw it up and it spreads about 6 inches. The chip is near the edge of the glass so it’s not middle or anything but WOW HOW FRUSTRATING. I’ve probably had 3-4 chips in all my cars combined. So to have 3 in one year on my only brand new car I’ve bought is terribly upsetting. Now I’m overthinking everything and wondering “is this a sign” or is the height/shape of windshield more vulnerable? Etc etc.
One of the first additions that I added to my BS is the AVS Aeroskin Bug Defector. Supposed to also help with small pebbles. Don't know it it works but it's been six months and so far no chips.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
One of the first additions that I added to my BS is the AVS Aeroskin Bug Defector. Supposed to also help with small pebbles. Don't know it it works but it's been six months and so far no chips.
Same here no chips 2years .
Ford Bronco Sport Windshield Chips 52B22631-20AF-449D-8010-C48E2880B6F8

Red21Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I have a '21 BS Big Bend I got in December of 21 that is on it's third windshield. I do not drive off road. This thing is a rock magnet! Multiple chips on each windshield repaired before getting a big "STAR" that spreads in minutes.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
My 2021 has received plenty of loud whacks on the windshield going down the highway, zero visible chips or cracks to date -- knock on wood. Had to replace the windshield on my little VW convertible 3x over 10 years. I think that was because it was pretty low to the road surface, so that rocks easily cleared my hood and landed on the windshield.

Slingy

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL, 1970 T-Bird, 1972 T-Bird
I just discovered my first chip since buying it 14 months ago. I do recall a whack against my windshield somewhere in the near past. I didn't see it until I was in the touchless car wash last night about an inch inside the driver's side pillar. I was hoping I was immune to windshield woes and all you other BS owners were crazy. Well now I'm the crazy one!!!:crazy:

Davewied

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I had a Jeep wrangler and the windshield would always get sand pitting and small chips. Once I replaced the windshield, I put on a clear exterior protection film. Most places that do paint protection films should do it.
The Jeep was around $250 and it did wonders. Won’t protect from large stuff, but it did great for sand pitting and very small chips

I haven’t done my bs yet but will post a cost here once I do
Sponsored