Who says you need a pickup?! lol well maybe sometimes, but not today!

NEFKANO

Badlands
First Name
NEFTALI
Threads
Reaction score
Website
neftalicano.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
OK so not exactly hauling bulk items, but hey... with this old supersizes cargo carrier I had no need for my old truck today! Like most of us here, my BS serves as an adventure mobile, daily driver and hauling mobile. While it is small... I've made it work for me...

Soon, I'll invest an a small utility trailer, but made this old cargo carrier work for me today : )

Ford Bronco Sport Who says you need a pickup?! lol well maybe sometimes, but not today! IMG_9262

Ford Bronco Sport Who says you need a pickup?! lol well maybe sometimes, but not today! IMG_9263
Sponsored

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Last edited:

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
OK so not exactly hauling bulk items, but hey... with this old supersizes cargo carrier I had no need for my old truck today! Like most of us here, my BS serves as an adventure mobile, daily driver and hauling mobile. While it is small... I've made it work for me...

Soon, I'll invest an a small utility trailer, but made this old cargo carrier work for me today : )

Ford Bronco Sport Who says you need a pickup?! lol well maybe sometimes, but not today! IMG_9262

Ford Bronco Sport Who says you need a pickup?! lol well maybe sometimes, but not today! IMG_9263
That load looks fine, but generally speaking, for heavier stuff, a trailer is better.

From hauling a Suzuki DRZ-400 on a hitch carrier on our RV, I know that the amount of weight on the rear axle can be quite a bit more than the actual load, because of leverage.

The RV has a significant rear overhang, so the bike is 7-8 feet behind the rear axle. Of course the distance with the BS is obviously less, but the effect is still a potential concern.

Here's something I just found. It seems correct:
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26865054/print/true.cfm

~~~

"There is such a thing called the see-saw effect of hanging something behind the rear axle.

First know the capacity of the receiver hitch - usually 350 or 500 lbs. Second know the weight of your small motorcycle and then add the weight of the carrier for the motorcycle.

Then measure the distance from the front axle to the rear axle. Then measure the distance from the rear axle to the center of your motorcycle carrier. Now multiply the weight of the motorcycle plus the carrier (in lbs) by the distance behind the rear axle (in feet). Divide this answer by the distance between the axles (in feet). This is the amount you are lifting off the front axle (the see saw effect).

If for example:
1. motorcycle weighs 250 lbs
2. carrier weighs 75 lbs
3. motorcycle carrier is 8 feet behind the rear axle
4. wheelbase is 12 feet.
(250+75=325 x 8 feet = 2,600 divide by 12 = 217 lbs). In this example the motorcycle and carrier is adding 542 lbs to the rear axle and the front axle would be 217 lbs lighter."

~~~

I have that same carrier, but haven't used it yet. I got it for the BS BL (to use in the same way you are). We are considering selling the DRZ-400 and getting 2 e-bikes. If we do that I'm hoping I can use the carrier to haul them. The top-rated carrier for 2 e-bikes in CR is $900!

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
The more weight you add to the bumper the more weight you take off the wheels up front. These cars are nominally front wheel drive, which means the front wheels are already traction limited. I wouldn't be so concerned about drive traction; the system will automatically transfer power to the rear if the front wheels slip. I'm more worried about steering traction, especially in low-traction situations like wet roads. I would stick closely to Ford's recommendations on max tongue weight.

Last edited:

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands

What a load of manure! {Someone had to say it...look closely, it is. :like:}

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
The more weight you add to the bumper the more weight you take off the wheels up front. These cars are nominally front wheel drive, which means the front wheels are already traction limited. I wouldn't be so concerned about drive traction; the system will automatically transfer power to the rear if the front wheels slip. I'm more worried about steering traction, especially in low-traction situations like wet roads. I would stick closely to Ford's recommendations on max tongue weight.
Years ago, we had a small Toyota Truck (the name was actually "Truck"). Back then, if you had recyclables, you could dump household trash for free (all at the same place) at the landfill. So we were there often. On our way back, we went right past the local quarry and we would pick up a load of stone to make "shoulders" along our lane.

We didn't go crazy with the amount -- maybe 1,200 to 1,300 lbs. (the truck was rated at 1,400 -- so including our weight it was over some). We used a piece of plywood resting on the (closed) tailgate and angled down toward the front, to direct the stone up closer to the cab. Even so, the front end was clearly lifted. One time in particular I noticed that the front tires locked up (on dry pavement) with just moderate pressure on the brake pedal. The steering was very light too.

But we saved $5.29 over buying it in bags! :cool:

Actually, it was a lot cheaper, but we did have to be careful about how the truck was loaded.

BTW, those little Toyota pickup trucks were tough. We'd still have it if the frame didn't rust out.

The situation with the Bronco Sport may not be as pronounced as in the example in post #3, because the rear overhang is much shorter, but then the wheelbase is a lot shorter too...

Using that example, but changing the rear overhang to 4-1/2 feet (approx.) and the wheelbase to 105" / 8-3/4 feet for the BS:

If for example:
1. motorcycle weighs 250 lbs
2. carrier weighs 75 lbs
3. motorcycle carrier is 4.5 feet behind the rear axle
4. wheelbase is 8.75 feet.
(250+75=325 x 4.5 feet = 1,462 divide by 8.75 = 167 lbs). In this example the motorcycle and carrier is adding 492 lbs to the rear axle and the front axle would be 167 lbs lighter."
Sponsored

Last edited: