Which drive-mode is best off-road?

lawndart

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ugo
Has anyone figured out which drive-mode provides the least slip of the tire with the LEAST traction?
Sponsored

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
climbing, or driving up a mountain road i'll use sand mode. if it's icy on the roads i use snow mode. if in deep snow i'll go normal mode with traction control off. paved highway with lots of ups and downs i'll use sport mode, i just prefer the shift pattern

MoFoCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit 250, VW eGolf, 2021 Badlands
I use Mud/Ruts if there are puddles on the street, and Rock Crawling Mode for getting over the grassy berm at the mall. Sport Mode is for track days at Laguna Seca, Eco Mode if I'm driving in Berkeley. The only place I tried Sand Mode was on a short trip to Tatooine.

Sorry, I'm turning off Silly Mode now.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Has anyone figured out which drive-mode provides the least slip of the tire with the LEAST traction?
I've found that the description in the Owner's Manual for each drive mode is fairly accurate. I've also found that it's rarely necessary to use anything other than NORMAL.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I've found that the description in the Owner's Manual for each drive mode is fairly accurate. I've also found that it's rarely necessary to use anything other than NORMAL.
This is very true especially for the Badlands where you can hit the buttons around the goat mode knob when you need them.

OP
OP

lawndart

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ugo
Has anyone figured out which mode stops a spinning tire the quickest if it’s suspended in the air?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Has anyone figured out which mode stops a spinning tire the quickest if it’s suspended in the air?
As long as you haven't turned off traction control the computer will do that for you. The computer simulates locking differentials by applying the brakes to wheels that lose traction.

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
I find normal and just using center diff lock and rear lock as needed works for pretty much everything. Hell is capable enough in normal. I’ve wheeled in all modes to see what works for what. Only time I really switch it is if I want the front cam to stay on over 7mph. Rock crawl limits the spin the most before it brakes and transfers power. On wet, off camber rocks the rock crawl mode does make a noticeable difference especially if dog legged.

Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I’ve found Sand mode useful in deeper sand in narrow wash canyons to stabilize turning, slippery in 4in deep pea gravel for the same on ashelf road and, while normal would probably eventually figure out what to do… rock crawl helped on a couple slick steep steppy hills.

just depends. Mud and ruts does good on the more rutted and washed out sections of trail. (Sandy/lots of soft dirt and rocks).
It all depends on where you drive and how you drive. I bet we would all choose different modes at times to fit our skill level and style of driving.

Sport is only used when I wanna be an ass to the car next to me that is being weird.

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Whenever I'm in traffic, slippery mode... Gotta get thru that traffic somehow.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I played with all the GOAT modes when I first got my Badlands.
For what I do, normal works for most all situations.
If I start losing forward momentum, I'll switch to an appropriate GOAT mode, lock the 4wd, then if really needed, lock the rear differential.
Sponsored