When should you turn off traction control?

SirEd

Base
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have done some off-roading in my Bronco Sport but have never turned off traction control. I know how to do it, but am not sure when I should turn it off. When do you think you should turn it off?
Sponsored

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Bronco Sport
Iā€™ve read that our traction control is good enough that you usually donā€™t have to turn it off, and the goat modes tune it down when needed. The older systems didnā€™t respond fast enough when you needed to stop a spin, clamping down too hard too late, robbing power. They also didnā€™t allow spin when it was useful, so it was better to turn them off. The sampling rates are now higher on the wheel sensors, and the goat modes allow more wheel spin when useful.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
The manual reads it takes power away (Engine ) when traction control is actually needed , so in some cases , you may need the engines power controlled with you gas peddle & not a computer . I will take mine off in Sand mode , not that I needed to when I was last at the beach , it went through loose Sand with out issue , but I was in Sand Mode & in Low , so as said above it may have eliminated it with out me switching it off . You will have to do a trial on how it works in different situations on the trail . Snow or Ice , I would believe it's a good Idea to keep it on .

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
I have done some off-roading in my Bronco Sport but have never turned off traction control. I know how to do it, but am not sure when I should turn it off. When do you think you should turn it off?
When you want to be a pretend rally driver

pixlpush

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tern GSD Ebike (car free at the moment)
right before you roll it.

OP
OP
SirEd

SirEd

Base
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Iā€™ve read that our traction control is good enough that you usually donā€™t have to turn it off, and the goat modes tune it down when needed. The older systems didnā€™t respond fast enough when you needed to stop a spin, clamping down too hard too late, robbing power. They also didnā€™t allow spin when it was useful, so it was better to turn them off. The sampling rates are now higher on the wheel sensors, and the goat modes allow more wheel spin when useful.
Thanks for giving a great detailed answer.

OP
OP
SirEd

SirEd

Base
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The manual reads it takes power away (Engine ) when traction control is actually needed , so in some cases , you may need the engines power controlled with you gas peddle & not a computer . I will take mine off in Sand mode , not that I needed to when I was last at the beach , it went through loose Sand with out issue , but I was in Sand Mode & in Low , so as said above it may have eliminated it with out me switching it off . You will have to do a trial on how it works in different situations on the trail . Snow or Ice , I would believe it's a good Idea to keep it on .
I haven't driven in sand yet but I plan to in the future so I will keep in mind what you say. Thanks for the response.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
Last edited:

johnardsg

Big Bend
First Name
johnard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS BigBend/2011 v6 Rav4
Today i tried driving a curvy/winding road with both traction control on and off just to see the difference, with traction control off i feel like the rear sways out more
Sponsored