What is Ford Using for Brake Pads???? OMG the Dust!!

BravoAlpha

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Expedition MAX Silverado Z71
I have a badlands with different wheels. I haven’t notice much brake dust but with the gray paint it’s masked.

I quit using fancy products for wheels. I don’t trust Them or myself. I use a mit and friggin Dawn dish soap . I don’t want chem sprays and foams getting on the other components. Those pads and rotors can’t handle it.

soap and water people. Those fancy popsicle lookin brushes Tiger posted look handy tho

+ 1 on ceramic breaks. Had those on my VW and Toyota. “Clean wheels”. Last loooooong time. I’m a fan.

BUT

- ceramic breaks can be hard on other components. They heat up faster but cool off quick too. you may need to upgrade your rotor
- im not convinced they’re superior in harsh climates As some suggest. I think they are superior in DRY climates. The first several break applications in soaked downpours are to be handled with caution.
- they do make dust, just less and less likely to stick to the wheel
- I installed on VW at 55K. I’m at 170k and they are at like 40%. You’ll get your moneys worth

I’m no expert. But this is what I’ve observed and what works for me
Sponsored

Last edited:

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I've noticed that mine have been horrendous during my last 4 months living in wet, humid, soggy NC. They produce a ton of dust and wake me up in the mornings with lovely whale calls. Less than a week after hand washing to a perfect shine, my front wheels look hideous again. These brakes are unbearable right now.

But, in my permanent home state of AZ, they never produce dust, never make noise, and perform just fine. I really am convinced they're better in some climates and awful in others. When I relocate to NC permanently, I'll be picking up a set of ceramics for sure.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I have a badlands with different wheels. I haven’t notice much brake dust but with the gray paint it’s masked.

I quit using fancy products for wheels. I don’t trust Them or myself. I use a mit and friggin Dawn dish soap . I don’t want chem sprays and foams getting on the other components. Those pads and rotors can’t handle it.

soap and water people. Those fancy popsicle lookin brushes Tiger posted look handy tho

+ 1 on ceramic breaks. Had those on my VW and Toyota. “Clean wheels”. Last loooooong time. I’m a fan.

BUT

- ceramic breaks can be hard on other components. They heat up faster but cool off quick too. you may need to upgrade your rotor
- im not convinced they’re superior in harsh climates As some suggest. I think they are superior in DRY climates. The first several break applications in soaked downpours are to be handled with caution.
- they do make dust, just less and less likely to stick to the wheel
- I installed on VW at 55K. I’m at 170k and they are at like 40%. You’ll get your moneys worth

I’m no expert. But this is what I’ve observed and what works for me
Just keep the dish soap off your paint. It's hard as heck on clear coat and wax. Dish soap is harsh compared to good car soap. Suds don't guarantee safe clean

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
I’ve seen some people recommending different material brake pads. In the threads on loud brakes first thing when backing out, there was mention of a lack of aftermarket options. I don’t know if that’s still the case.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
I also have never seen brake dust cause scratches , there is something else involved . I use Formula 88 & a parts brush to clean my rims & no scratches . Soft brake pads cause dust , but also produce the stopping power or grab , that is required by law for new cars & yes they probably take the lowest bidder .

FirsandFire

Big Bend
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Brake dust doesn't scratch paint like that. if it is left for years and years it can cause pitting but those scratches are 100% caused by whatever you're using to agitate. Either the brush you mentioned, or if you have gone through a non-touch-free auto car wash. The only thing that causes micro scratches in paint like that is friction with a dirty surface. Use two buckets... One for soap, the other with a grit trap and just water as a rinse pail. The rinse pail is critical for a clean mitt, towel or brush in order to prevent swirls and scrapes.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know the OP already mentioned that they will be ceramic coating the wheels, or at least thinking of it as an option. Just want to say that I have been doing it for a few years and it does make a huge difference. Generally, a spray from the pressure washer and then just the regular car wash soap from the foam cannon with a little agitation. I will use some iron remover (either stuff for the paint or a wheel cleaner that does the same thing) about once or twice per year. It seems that small inside corners are still a collection point that will have to be looked after during that semi-annual detail.

OP
OP
Tigerj

Tigerj

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Escape XLT Sport 3.0
Yeah that's not quite the ding I had envisioned. I'm particular so I get it...but that's a stone tick. I have one on the driver door I heard it hit and saw it leave a stone truck...it took a chunk out of the paint. Covered it with touch-up all is good. I guess have them inspected and as some have mentioned perhaps change pads based on driving habits. If you are in NY...be thankful you still have fenders on it. Rough city
Don't mistaken NY with NYC :)... I live in Ontario (Rochester) in a nice quiet boony suburbs area..I can't stand the the city and even our small city in Rochester I avoid it at all costs.

Yea, I been researching the paint code on the BS and what is available... Then use one of these..not the so call pen...

Ford Bronco Sport What is Ford Using for Brake Pads???? OMG the Dust!! 1657558909936

These are great as you just dab in and have more control of the flow and not make a mess. Also if you can hold it, a needle will work..Let it dry and dab with clear coat..sand with 1,000 and 2000 grit and then buff and polish and you will never see it..

Chris Fix show a nice video on this for much deeper scratches...Though I question how well it looks in person compare to video... It's a cool video to check on! -

He is the only one I see do this as many will say you have to paint the entire thing..Even AMMO NYC who is a high end detailer doesn't goes this far as Chris did.

KittyCat1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Same problem with my new Bronco Sport (Badlands). Bought mine 3 months ago and only have 2,000 miles on it. The brake dust has changed my front wheel color to a rusty brown. Really fine powder is hard to clean and comes back in a couple of days. I don't ride the brake so it shouldn't be this bad (IMO).

Was thinking about going to the dealer and asking if there's a problem. Shouldn't have to buy new pads on a brand new car. How come other cars don't have this much dust? Maybe it will go away after a little more driving?

buechel

Big Bend
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I'm at about the same mileage, 4K dont ride the brakes or brake hard but have the same issue with the brake dust fronts only. Bought one of those wheel brushes it was ruined and black after using it once. My big bend doesen't pull to either side or make any noises from brakes. Wondering when you took delivery, I took delivery in February, maybe a batch of them came through with bad pads to NY. Im in Penfield, down the road from you. I see your license frame is cortese , picked mine up at Van bortel. Anyway taking it in next Saturday to have them look at it.

petegee77

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
What is Ford using for their pads?? Holy F!! I never had a car/suv that produced so much dust! It is so bad it is destroying my rims...This is what they look like after 4k miles on my 2022... I have the 18" Upgraded Rims...
Ford Bronco Sport What is Ford Using for Brake Pads???? OMG the Dust!! Rim Scratch

The other pic here is what they look like after a week washing them spotless!!
Ford Bronco Sport What is Ford Using for Brake Pads???? OMG the Dust!! Rim Dirty

After noticing the brake dust creating scratching, I am now force to take the tires off, compound out the scratches and Ceramic or Graphene coat them! Anyone who is on here and is waiting to get a new Sport or on Order...Do your self a favor, Pad Swap your brakes as soon as possible! My Escape never had this issue with MotorCraft Parts and even later on when I installed some Powerstops. Go with some Carbon Fiber Powerstops or a brand you like or Akebono or EBC Pads if they have them for the Sport yet..

Anyone else seeing this on their rims and scratching them up when the dust slings???

It's not so bad on the back, but that is because the rear brakes aren't used as much as the front ones..

I swear the quality I am seeing things on the Sport, its going to look like crap in 2 years! Already paint chips and a big chip and bunch of micro chips in my Windshield! (Another post on that to come)
I have just had my BS BB for 3 weeks and that's the 1st thing I've noticed. Rears seem OK but the fronts are awful even 2 days after being washed. Fors HAS to be using the cheapest pads thay can find. I had my Jeep Patroit 7 years right from the factory and NEVER experienced brake dust. Did Ford ever hear of creamic pads ? Even entry level ?

Last edited:

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have just had my BS BB for 3 weeks and that's the 1st thing I've noticed. Rears vseem OK but the fronts are aweful even 2 days after being washed. Fors HAS to be using the cheapest pads thay can find. I had my Jeep Patroit 7 years right from the factory and NEVER experienced brake dust. Did Ford ever hear of creamic pads ? Even entry level ?
$110 for a full set of ceramic pads from RockAuto.

petegee77

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Same problem with my new Bronco Sport (Badlands). Bought mine 3 months ago and only have 2,000 miles on it. The brake dust has changed my front wheel color to a rusty brown. Really fine powder is hard to clean and comes back in a couple of days. I don't ride the brake so it shouldn't be this bad (IMO).

Was thinking about going to the dealer and asking if there's a problem. Shouldn't have to buy new pads on a brand new car. How come other cars don't have this much dust? Maybe it will go away after a little more driving?
Trust me it's nothing you are doing wrong. Just cheap cheap pads. I wonder why the rears don't do it to the extent of the fronts ?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Trust me it's nothing you are doing wrong. Just cheap cheap pads. I wonder why the rears don't do it to the extent of the fronts ?
I don't think you can say definitively "cheap pads." The recall last year on the brakes was about the failure of certain Bronco Sports to meet NHTSA-mandated stopping distance in the event of a brake booster failure. The fix was to use higher-friction brake pads on the front axle. Most OEMs use organic brake pads because they typically produce the least noise and dust. They also happen to be the cheapest.

My guess is Ford switched from organic to semi-metallic pads to meet NHTSA braking standards. These would almost certainly be more expensive than the original organic pads, but they'll provide better stopping power, and they'll likely last longer. The downside is they also produce more brake dust.

Last edited:

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think you can say definitively "cheap pads." The recall last year on the brakes was about the failure of certain Bronco Sports to meet NHTSA-mandated stopping distance in the event of a brake booster failure. The fix was to use higher-friction brake pads on the front axle. Most OEMs use organic brake pads because they typically produce the least noise and dust. They also happen to be the cheapest.

My guess is Ford switched from organic to semi-metallic pads to meet NHTSA braking standards. These would almost certainly be more expensive than the original organic pads, but they'll provide better stopping power, and they'll likely last longer. The downside is they also produce more brake dust.
I don’t think you have all that stopping power vs. dust vs. noise arguments right. Here is a chart from RockAuto:
Ford Bronco Sport What is Ford Using for Brake Pads???? OMG the Dust!! 1670185139483
Sponsored