What does it take to trigger alarm (roof top tent stolen)

Murr

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
My iKamper roof top tent was stolen last night off the roof of my Bronco. They ripped the roof bars and Yakima crossbars clean off. Imagine what must’ve been involved in that. But there wasn’t even a peep from my alarm. I’m speechless at how ineffective the alarm is. What does it take to trigger this thing? How can I verify that it’s even on? Can I improve it somehow?

More story: I tracked the tent to a house and could hear my AirTag beep in the garage. Called the police. They towed 3 stolen vehicles and a trailer from out front. Because the owners refused to open the door they could not enter. They are looking to get a warrant. Many neighbors spoke to them about how sketchy these people are. If I can’t get this back because of a legal loophole I will be very angry, but at least I’ve accidentally returned peoples vehicles.
Sponsored

BS_Fishin'

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger, F350
My iKamper roof top tent was stolen last night off the roof of my Bronco. They ripped the roof bars and Yakima crossbars clean off. Imagine what must’ve been involved in that. But there wasn’t even a peep from my alarm. I’m speechless at how ineffective the alarm is. What does it take to trigger this thing? How can I verify that it’s even on? Can I improve it somehow?

More story: I tracked the tent to a house and could hear my AirTag beep in the garage. Called the police. They towed 3 stolen vehicles and a trailer from out front. Because the owners refused to open the door they could not enter. They are looking to get a warrant. Many neighbors spoke to them about how sketchy these people are. If I can’t get this back because of a legal loophole I will be very angry, but at least I’ve accidentally returned peoples vehicles.
Sometimes I wish we could all play Liam Neeson in Taken and just go kick in the door and enact a little Street Justice 😂

I know two guys who came pretty close.

A client of mine paid a group of bikers $100 each to evict some squatters from his house when the laws in California were too onerous. They marched in, threw everything on the lawn, and told the squatters they better not ever come back.

A buddy had his tablet stolen from his car in a parking garage in SLC. The cops said they didn't investigate property crimes even though he could track it to a specific address. He told the dispatcher, "Nevermind, I've got guns, I'll take care of it myself," and hanged up the phone. A cop called my buddy back on his cellphone a few minutes later and went and retrieved his stolen property.

OP
OP
Murr

Murr

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SportWest: Thank you! I'm getting that for sure. Wish I had known how inadequate the stock alarm is. Amazing.

BS_Fishin': Honestly I think if it weren't for all the stolen vehicles outside they would've told me the same. Fingers cross on this warrant. If that doesn't pan out I might need some bikers of my own... Kidding, kind of. :p I really hate people. The tent and crossbars were brand new and who knows how damaged it is now or if I'll ever get it back. You just can't have nice things here in Portland.

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Hopefully your Bronco wasn't damaged too bad during the theft and the cops/judge get the warrent before its gone/sold.

I have Yakima crossbars and if needed you could cut the rubber strap that secures it to the crossbar and probably wouldn't set the alarm off. That's why I don't leave my rtt on for long periods of time; only when being used.

OP
OP
Murr

Murr

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I was dumb for sure. It's just so heavy to take on and off. These people must not be the brightest because they didn't cut the straps. They somehow yanked and cut the roof rails off. Aside from the rails which are completely destroyed, they scratched up the roof too. It could've been a lot worse though. It's amazing they didn't shatter the moonroof.

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Can you show a picture please

fsjdw2

Badlands
First Name
Jerrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 5.0 GT convertible, 2022BS BL(pending)
Call local hells angles, offer to make
Donation in their name to local unwed mothers and nursing students work facility…

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport

Accidental hero of the day. Great job because you know you weren't their last target. Let's just hope you live in an area with a DA who has the stones to execute the law and put them away for a while​

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
This is way worse then what I was imagining. That sucks completely, sorry this had to happen to you.

OP
OP
Murr

Murr

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for saying that. Nice to remember there’s good people too.

As for putting them away, I sure hope so, but I live in Portland sooo… It’s possible they won’t even get a warrant. Tent is still there today. I thought they would move it last night but apparently they haven’t figured it out or just don’t give a shit because of how easy it is to evade the law here.

cgparsons1983

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Pics of the damage.

Is that something Hells Angels care about? Not being sarcastic, I really don’t know.

Ford Bronco Sport What does it take to trigger alarm (roof top tent stolen) EA8AA49B-5C31-45E8-B948-657DCC7DBAEF

Ford Bronco Sport What does it take to trigger alarm (roof top tent stolen) C4D2A479-FC7D-4E68-A561-996D6B63C5A1

Ford Bronco Sport What does it take to trigger alarm (roof top tent stolen) 19F4F3AB-0BAF-41F4-A7A5-8812A22B3A15

Ford Bronco Sport What does it take to trigger alarm (roof top tent stolen) C9899E36-5943-4C6D-8A8C-8A72DDFBB2C5

Ford Bronco Sport What does it take to trigger alarm (roof top tent stolen) 864DF029-06CE-471C-B50C-BA010025FDCB

Ford Bronco Sport What does it take to trigger alarm (roof top tent stolen) A732CBFD-ED2C-4E26-A91C-3AD1F8AFD6A2

Ford Bronco Sport What does it take to trigger alarm (roof top tent stolen) 072E3FE3-8D3E-4385-B5E7-DA7150E1A87C
Oof sorry you had to go through that. Is this becoming a more common occurrence in Oregon? Crime is definitely increasing here in Idaho since we've had an influx of people moving here from larger states (particularly one of them).

Poolmanz Sport Bronco

First Edition
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport FE Area 51
We have a really big problem of guys coming and cutting out catalytic converters I’ve had a few taken from my company trucks but it looks like someone like that song opportunity and they already had the Reciprocating saw they figured they just rip it out try to sell it at the flea market sorry this really happened to you my Broncos been broken in as well I know that sucky feeling
Sponsored