Weight capacity on back door before it's unable to remain open?

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Has anyone tried this to see what the door weight limit is, I'm looking at getting that molle back panel system for my big bend

Ford Bronco Sport Weight capacity on back door before it's unable to remain open? 1680111921796

https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/BSHMP-1G.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjww4-hBhCtARIsAC9gR3ZcyTo7h9HwyCP0QJnfxydCScaWFWyNwoc5TGJX16irWDremTadtxYaAmayEALw_wcB

I would like to hook up and mount a 3.8 gallon water shower system to this to use with the glass being open as well as the door being up. Full it weights 42lbs. Woudl the door be able to support this weight without closing back down???
Ford Bronco Sport Weight capacity on back door before it's unable to remain open? 1680111900183
Sponsored

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
I'm guessing it's the shocks that hold the door up that will be the issue. Should the OEM cartridge shocks not be able to hold up the weight, you might be able to buy stiffer ones, but then you get an issue with being able to lift the tailgate easily perhaps.

There's always a long stick method to make it work :facepalm:

Hopefully someone who has been in this situation can help out.

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
It would probs drop with 40+ lbs I would think. Doesn’t take much to close it and the gate is really light as it is.
Easy way to check, grab two gallon jugs and tie them to rear hatch. Bet it won’t hold two. And that’s only 16lbs ish.
Hook it into the back of a roof basket probs be better.

OP
OP
JohnSilver

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
It would probs drop with 40+ lbs I would think. Doesn’t take much to close it and the gate is really light as it is.
Easy way to check, grab two gallon jugs and tie them to rear hatch. Bet it won’t hold two. And that’s only 16lbs ish.
Hook it into the back of a roof basket probs be better.
GOod idea, maybe I'll just find a way to get it mounted differnetly. Not to the door but up to the side.

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
I’ve seen the side of roof racks where I’m pointing
Ford Bronco Sport Weight capacity on back door before it's unable to remain open? B6487390-371F-4FDC-8697-0083F95739AE

OP
OP
JohnSilver

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I’ve seen the side of roof racks where I’m pointing
Ford Bronco Sport Weight capacity on back door before it's unable to remain open? B6487390-371F-4FDC-8697-0083F95739AE
Yes I know that's ideal, i'm just indifferent about having a roof basket/rack right now. But in the future that would definitely be the spot.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I would like to hook up and mount a 3.8 gallon water shower system to this to use with the glass being open as well as the door being up. Full it weights 42lbs. Woudl the door be able to support this weight without closing back down???
I don't think so. I just attached a fish scale to the trim piece near the glass and pulled. The liftgate started closing at around 17 lbs. It starts closing at around 7 lbs with the scale attached to the handle at the bottom.

Ford Bronco Sport Weight capacity on back door before it's unable to remain open? 20230330_085704

OP
OP
JohnSilver

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I don't think so. I just attached a fish scale to the trim piece near the glass and pulled. The liftgate started closing at around 17 lbs. It starts closing at around 7 lbs with the scale attached to the handle at the bottom.

Ford Bronco Sport Weight capacity on back door before it's unable to remain open? 20230330_085704
HAHA thanks for this Mark you're the man. That definitively answers it then. Appreciated !

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Not a physics person at all, but will the weight issue to tailgate force change when the pouch is attached and spread across the entire backside, as JohnSilver shows in his first post? Pulling it closed looks like it only needs about 17lbs of pull force as Mark demos, but will the tailgate sag with the pouch attached and with material installed into the pouch?

Where is Mythbusters when you need them? They explained all the science stuff :crazy:

Last edited:
OP
OP
JohnSilver

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Not a physics person at all, but will the weight issue to tailgate force change when the pouch is attached and spread across the entire backside, as JohnSilver shows in his first post? Pulling it closed looks like it only needs about 17lbs of pull force as Mark demos, but will the tailgate sag with the pouch attached and with material installed into the pouch?

Where is Mythbusters when you need them?
I get what you're saying, I'll probably still purchase both, and maybe I'll give it a try in the future. Will definitely report back here but first on the list is suspension lift.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I think you could make it work with a piece of angle aluminum. Measure the length of the gas strut extended, then cut the aluminum to fit over it. One end will rest on the strut and the other against the strut mount. Aluminum doesn't weigh much, and you can stick it in one of the pouches when you're ready to close the lift gate.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition

Where is Mythbusters when you need them? They explained all the science stuff :crazy:
This is pretty basic lever loading sort of stuff. The further away from the hinge the weight is, the less weight would be required to start closing the hatch. 17 lbs is not much and just putting the panel on the hatch will probably drop that to 15 lbs. Not sure what you can actually mount on there that would be less than 15 lbs, and in reality probably less than 10 lbs because it will be further from the hinge than what Mark showed with the fish scale.

"Give me a lever long enough and I can move the world"

Sig Oris

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BSOB
Has anyone tried this to see what the door weight limit is, I'm looking at getting that molle back panel system for my big bend

Ford Bronco Sport Weight capacity on back door before it's unable to remain open? 1680111921796

https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/BSHMP-1G.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjww4-hBhCtARIsAC9gR3ZcyTo7h9HwyCP0QJnfxydCScaWFWyNwoc5TGJX16irWDremTadtxYaAmayEALw_wcB

Ford Bronco Sport Weight capacity on back door before it's unable to remain open? 1680111900183
Fill up 4 gallon jugs then attach and see what happens

1 gallon water weighs 8.337 lbs