Update on the 1.5L drain hose recall from NHTSA.

ZQ8

Big Bend
First Name
BRAD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport / Big Bend
https://fordauthority.com/2024/05/nhtsa-says-ford-bronco-sport-ford-escape-recall-inadequate/

Just a few weeks ago, The Blue Oval issued new recalls that expanded prior ones for select 2022-2023 Ford Bronco Sport and 2022 Ford Escape models equipped with the turbocharged 1.5L I-3 EcoBoost engine over an issue with the fuel injectors that may crack and leak fuel inside the engine compartment. Ford’s proposed fix for this issue is to have dealers update the engine control software to include fuel injector leak detection and install a drain tube. Prior to those actions, a lawsuit was filed and subsequently dismissed claiming that this fix was inadequate, after which the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) opened an investigation into the matter. Now, the NHTSA has determined that Ford’s proposed fix for this issue is, in fact, inadequate.

Just a few weeks after the NHTSA’s Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) opened an official investigation into the recall fix for these Ford Bronco Sport and Escape models, it has informed The Blue Oval that it “has identified significant safety concerns regarding the recall’s remedy program,” prompting it to open a recall query.

“These vehicles have been reported by Ford to be equipped with defective fuel injectors that will crack resulting in liquid fuel and/or fuel vapor to accumulate near ignition sources that may cause vehicle fires, fuel odors both outside and inside of the vehicle, and an increased risk of injury,” the NHTSA noted. “Based on our review of the alleged defect, the resulting consequences, and the recall’s remedy program, ODI believes that the remedy program does not address the root cause of the issue and does not proactively call for the replacement of defective fuel injectors prior to their failure; therefore, ODI has decided to investigate the adequacy and various safety concerns of the remedy program.”

The NHTSA is now requesting more information from Ford regarding how many vehicles are impacted by this issue, as well as any warranty claims that have been filed thus far. The agency is also requesting information pertaining to how the automaker determined the root cause of the issue, as well as how Ford came to the determination that its proposed fix was adequate before moving forward.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
That Ford Authority article dated May 9 2024 does have strong wording:

“Now, the NHTSA has determined that Ford's proposed fix (drain tube and PCM Programming) for this issue is, in fact, inadequate.“

Ford Bronco Sport Update on the 1.5L drain hose recall from NHTSA. IMG_3895

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
Great! I never liked the bandaid no fix.

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands

Cursed Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Interesting. I had the recall done after this announcement. I suspect I will have to go in again for new injectors when the time comes.

hellb0y

Big Bend
First Name
Hellish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS
Absolutely, my BS hasn't been included in any of these recalls so far - but I suspect Ford will be forced to do the right thing: spend the engineering time required to properly redesign the injectors and do a broad recall...

ledge

Big Bend
First Name
ledge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
This affects 1% of vehicles. Personally I feel it’s a good fix. The PCM will detect low pressure and shut that cylinder off. What more do u want? I think Ford is thinking this is insane and I agree. NHSTA goes too far in my opinion with some stuff. Causing the cost to go up with vehicles with all the bull crap.

BSBB4Les

Big Bend
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Mustang conv, '22 Bronco Sport (Spooky)
Query. If it's determined that the injectors must be replaced, who decides which manufacturers' will be the replacement? Ford or the NHTSA?