Understanding the 2.0 PCV system.

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
So there's a couple of threads floating around here that pontificate on catchcans, but figured maybe it would be best to start a new one. In those threads, it usually devolved into a disagreement about the necessity of such devices. If we can cut that part out, that'd be great. Lets try and make this thread about how one would get it done on the 2.0. I completely understand ALL THE ARGUMENTS against a catchcan. They are all rational. However, there are plenty of rational arguments 'pro' catchcan. So for me, it all boils down to whether or not you wanna spend your hard earned cheddar. And I do.

So that being said....

The only "Bronco Sport 2.0L" catchcan I see out in the market is the J&L. However, I see no instructions that come with it for the Bronco Sport. They use another engine for their instruction pdf instead. And there are many slight discrepancies in PCV placement in each iteration of this engine.

I can CLEARLY see the where the oil separator is on top of the valve cover. But from my experience, this is usually the "cleanside" of the PCV system, because since it sits at the top of the block, oily vapors and residue have to work a bit harder to exit and they truly only have a chance to exit when in boost, which I'll describe in a moment. What is usually the "dirtyside" of the PCV system is a PCV plate on the side of the block (underneath the intake manifold) which then connects a hose back to the throttle body. The PCV plate has a check valve that closes at boost. This is so you don't pressurize your crankcase. So in essence, anytime you are in vaccuum, the pcv gases exit the pcv plate. This is the VAST majority of time you are driving. When you are in boost, that's when the gases are tried to be forced out the top of the valve cover. This is what really drives the "cleanside", "dirtyside" designation. So strange that they would put the separator on the "cleanside".

Do I have that right? Does anyone have anything they'd like to amend or add?

Has anyone out there successfully added a catchan like the J&L to their 2.0? Are there any other custom plug and play catchcans for the Ford Bronco Sport Badlands besides the J&L?

If not, I may very well look into fabbing one myself from a generic UPR.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
gatornek

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
gatornek

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This one I feel is much, much more detailed in going over exactly every clip and connector you have to undo and the 'tricks' to get them undone.
J&L Oil Separator Co. 2019+ Ford EcoBoost 2.0 Bronco Sport, Edge, Escape, Maverick Install 3044D - YouTube

There is a sh!t ton. Much more than on my Mustang. Not difficult. Just tedious, time consuming and you must show great attention to detail.

I'm also worried about the placement. It literally sits ON TOP of the engine. Supposing that this is the only 'custom can' for th BS, I imagine that this might be the only mounting point. I may have to take a look around and see if anything can be customized because cans should be a little bit more inconspicuous rather than staring you right in the face everytime you pop the hood.

Set up my OBDMX and my OBDFusion app, so I"m going to log pcv vacuum levels for a bit. I wanna have a good baseline of what they should be at stock before making any changes.

I actually did have issues with going through 2 cans from different manufacturers on the Mustang where I had issues in which they added too much resistance to the vacuum on the pcv line, leading to the crankcase to really try and push oil passed gaskets and much more blowby being dumped into your airintake via the "cleanside" line. Then I got the UPR and everything was purring again.

So I'm not completely sold on the J&L as a solution, but I may be willing to give it a try. Again, no really loving the fact that the vaccum of the intake manifold at idle has to work that much harder to suck pcv gases UP, through a filter, and then back down to the manifold.

This maybe a little bit longer of a project than I imagined, but I feel I'm fairly determined to get it added, if it can be feasible. I do agree that, especially with not being tuned for a few extra hp, the need might not be as much as on my tuned Mustang.

I will keep the thread posted with what I find on my logs, and where I go from there.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Found a youtube video for the J&L.

Well, at least I'm clear on how to install this one now.

J&L Oil Separator Co. 2022-2023 Ford Maverick 2.0L EcoBoost Install 3044D - YouTube
I'm surprised at the tech's recommendations regarding lubrication of the hoses. I would NOT use whatever kind of lubricant/grease you have available. Some types of rubber do not react well to certain lubricants, especially lubricants in solvents such as might be found in a spray can.

More here.

OP
OP
gatornek

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm surprised at the tech's recommendations regarding lubrication of the hoses. I would NOT use whatever kind of lubricant/grease you have available. Some types of rubber do not react well to certain lubricants, especially lubricants in solvents such as might be found in a spray can.

More here.
Yeah, he totally caked it on. Those hoses and connectors don't look like very high quality. I'm tellin ya, I'm not really jiving with this particular solution. Google 'UPR dual valve catchcan mustang 2.3' and the difference in quality is night and day. UPR uses Goodyear braided hoses. You get what you pay for I guess. The price suggests to me a company that wanted to throw a can, bracket, hoses, and filter media together for an economical price and call it a day.

Not sure if it was you or another user on another thread that noted that there are many companies out there willing to milk the aftermarket dollar for whatever they can; because there are many people that will buy it up. The J&L may very well be a good example of that.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Yeah, he totally caked it on. Those hoses and connectors don't look like very high quality. I'm tellin ya, I'm not really jiving with this particular solution. Google 'UPR dual valve catchcan mustang 2.3' and the difference in quality is night and day. UPR uses Goodyear braided hoses. You get what you pay for I guess. The price suggests to me a company that wanted to throw a can, bracket, hoses, and filter media together for an economical price and call it a day.

Not sure if it was you or another user on another thread that noted that there are many companies out there willing to milk the aftermarket dollar for whatever they can; because there are many people that will buy it up. The J&L may very well be a good example of that.
Someone else on the forum installed a J&L, IIRC. You should be able to find it on here and I think they had a couple of pictures. I don't remember it sitting right on top of the engine though.

OP
OP
gatornek

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Someone else on the forum installed a J&L, IIRC. You should be able to find it on here and I think they had a couple of pictures. I don't remember it sitting right on top of the engine though.
Was it this one?
https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/buschurs-maverick-2-0-catch-can.5549/post-94925
It was a 1.5 if so. And it still sits on top of the engine a bit. I've been looking. There aren't too many places for a placement of a can that would make sense. Both the input and output are located right below the manifold. YOu don't wanna run them to the corner of the engine bay, just to run them through a filter.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Just remember, there is a difference between an oil catch can and an oil separator. Oil separator is what you want, but what you most likely already have with the 2.0 like the 1.5.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was it this one?
https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/buschurs-maverick-2-0-catch-can.5549/post-94925
It was a 1.5 if so. And it still sits on top of the engine a bit. I've been looking. There aren't too many places for a placement of a can that would make sense. Both the input and output are located right below the manifold. YOu don't wanna run them to the corner of the engine bay, just to run them through a filter.
Yes, I think that is the one I was remembering but as you stated it was for the 1.5L.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Yes, I think that is the one I was remembering but as you stated it was for the 1.5L.
That link shows an oil separator. It has a screen to separate oil mist, and allow it to drop into a canister.
Think of the Catch Can doing everything that the air/oil separator can do, but with one big difference; it catches the oil and does not recirculate it into the engine. A Catch Can requires ongoing oversight and maintenance as the can itself must be emptied. Since you change oil every 5K along with an oil filter, letting the oil seperator recirculate into the engine will not contaminate the oil, and is much less maintenance.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
letting the oil seperator recirculate into the engine will not contaminate the oil, and is much less maintenance.
One nit: it will contaminate the oil, but as long as you change it at the recommended interval not enough to affect lubricity.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
One nit: it will contaminate the oil, but as long as you change it at the recommended interval not enough to affect lubricity.
Yes, what I meant to say as long as oil is changed per the maintenance schedule, it will not have an effect.

OP
OP
gatornek

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I've been working with UPR to build a catch can kit.

Question for the forum:

Can anyone tell me if either of the below bolts are suspension critical? I feel the one on the bottom is probably just to keep the plastic on, but unsure about the recessed silver one on top. Ideas?
Ford Bronco Sport Understanding the 2.0 PCV system. 1685111334921

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The silver one holds the strut top (1 of 3). The black one just holds that plastic cover in place.

OP
OP
gatornek

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The silver one holds the strut top (1 of 3). The black one just holds that plastic cover in place.
That's what I thought. The black one it is. Thank you! I'll have more details to follow soon.
Sponsored

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Texas 6