Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands, 2019 VW GTI Rabbit ed. 03 JCW MCS
The Tire Rack has once again tested A/T tires. And, as much as I like my Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT's, off road, when tested against the Falken Wildpeak AT3w's and the Toyo Open country AT3's, the Mickeys got their butt kicked in TR's on road and track tests, with the Falken's being pretty much the clear winner. Winter testing will follow this winter but I don't expect the Mickeys to do any better then but we will see. So far I have found them to be great in mud and much tougher than the Cooper AT34S, though time will tell on this too. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=293
As an update, I'll add that several other AT tires were tested in July as well, including the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S, The Firestone Destination A/T2 https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=292/T2 and the Vredestein Pinza AT. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=290
Sponsored

Last edited:

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
I’m going to order the Toyo Open Country next week. Falken doesn’t make the size I’m looking for.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I’m going to order the Toyo Open Country next week. Falken doesn’t make the size I’m looking for.
Eric, what size are you looking for?

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eric, what size are you looking for?
That is a secret for now. I’m going a little off the beaten path but not with something that hasn’t been done and shown here before. I’m willing to bet you can guess what I’m going to do.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is a secret for now. I’m going a little off the beaten path but not with something that hasn’t been done and shown here before. I’m willing to bet you can guess what I’m going to do.
🤫

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m pretty happy so far with the optional 235/65-17’s Falkens. They are great in heavy water which I find the most unsettling for many tires. We shall see how they handle snow. They do seem to collect rocks but that’s one of the issues with most AT’s.

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Thank you so much for posting this. If there's anything I appreciate as an ecologist, it's data-driven analysis. I was leaning towards Falken's due to anecdotal evidence from other folks on this forum, but seeing the comparison on paper helps seal the deal on that decision.

OP
OP
Bluebaru

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you so much for posting this. If there's anything I appreciate as an ecologist, it's data-driven analysis. I was leaning towards Falken's due to anecdotal evidence from other folks on this forum, but seeing the comparison on paper helps seal the deal on that decision.
I agree 100% on the data driven analysis. It's good that TR has their survey results but if its not backed up by DA it's just peoples opinion based on their own possibly, very limited and outdated experience. When I read individual tire reviews, I look at what they are comparing them to, if anything, and what might be influencing their opinion. $$ per mile has, mostly, never been a concern of mine, when it comes to tires, but smiles per mile, always has.

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
I always feel like these tire tests are subjective and hard to truly analyze. That being said my wife has the stock Falkens and I have Toyo AT3 245/65/17 on mine. Both drive great. Can’t go wrong with either. More about what you think looks better to your eye.

BRtigerBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Was the test just dry and wet pavement, or did they take it off road in the mud?
I had a set of the Mickey Thompson A/Ty’s and they performed great. I need a tire that can get me to and from the camp without worry of leaving me stuck

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL, 1968 Bronco, 2018 Expy
I liked everything about my Falken Wildpeak AT3W's except there ability to hold up off-road. After several flats that weren't fixable, I switched to Maxxis Raxr AT's. So far so good. Tire looks great. Not much road noise and holding great off-road so far. https://www.maxxis.com/us/tire/razr-at/

OP
OP
Bluebaru

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was the test just dry and wet pavement, or did they take it off road in the mud?
I had a set of the Mickey Thompson A/Ty’s and they performed great. I need a tire that can get me to and from the camp without worry of leaving me stuck
TR doesn't do off road testing, they do however do great on road testing as well as "Their Track" testing. They put together a team of employees to do these tests. I can't remember how many people that is but more than a handful and maybe as many as a dozen different drivers, for both the objective and subjective testing. Some of those drivers are or were nationally competitive drivers, in SCCA competition.
Trail riding is why I got my Mickeys. Having experience with the (4 ply rated) SL Load rated Cooper AT3 4S is one of the reasons I went with the (6 ply rated) XL Load rated Mickeys. I got them for their toughness (and Mickeys off road Reputation) and my perceived notions of how they would do in mud. Check out their serious side bitters and 16/32 of tread depth! They will throw mud and not just fill up with it. Would Coopers XL load rated tires be tougher than their SL's, probably but I can't ever see them being as good as the Mickeys, especially in the mud. The Coopers are good in the snow though and are quieter.

Is someone wants tougher than the Mickeys, they should be looking at LT load rated tires with 3 ply sidewalls, like some but not all KO-2's (not great in the mud) or Mud Terrain tires,

Ford Bronco Sport Tire Rack tests A/T Tires (265/60R18) - Falken WildPeak vs Mickey Thompson Baja Boss vs Toyo Open Country image
Sponsored

Last edited: