Tips for removing Aeroskin II Hood Deflector?

Emlangkow

Outer Banks
First Name
Emily
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Well, its time to undo one of my mods. I've had the textured Aeroskin II Hood Deflector on my OBX for one month and have seen such a drop (and still dropping) in mpg that I want to take it off. Disappointing since I really like the look of it. I've never done anything like this removal before, but I am generally pretty handy. I've seen comments about using fishing line, dental Floss, heat guns, etc. to get it off, but I'm wondering if anyone has specific advice or videos on how to get the thing off without damaging the paint. Any info is appreciated!! Thanks!

Ford Bronco Sport Tips for removing Aeroskin II Hood Deflector? 20211101_153123
Sponsored

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I've had the textured Aeroskin II Hood Deflector on my OBX for one month and have seen such a drop (and still dropping) in mpg that I want to take it off. Disappointing since I really like the look of it.
What sort of drop have you seen?

Reactions: Jrl

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
A solid 2mpg down in 1 month and continuing to drop. Based on the active mpg screen on the dash, I expect it would settle at about 5-6 mpg down, or around 24mpg vs 30 before installing it.
Yipe. That implies it's making a pretty massive dent in the effective Cx (coefficient of drag)!

FWIW, that works out to going from 3.33 to 4.167 gallons of fuel burned per 100 miles (for those thinking in cost-per-mile).

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
A solid 2mpg down in 1 month and continuing to drop. Based on the active mpg screen on the dash, I expect it would settle at about 5-6 mpg down, or around 24mpg vs 30 before installing it.
Depending on where you are it might be cold which will make this tougher. They are attached with just double sided adhesive tape. You'll need to warm it with a heat gun and run either fishing line or dental floss like a saw behind it and slowly work it off. Dental floss breaks a lot so fishing line is better. While you work down do the top and bottom evenly plus keep a towel rag under the free side and keep heating and working eventually you'll have a little leverage as you heat it will lift. Be careful not to break it or pull too fast as you could also damage the finish. Don't rush it.

SM05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2021 RAV4 TRD Offroad
I've been trying to figure out my MPG drop and seeing your post it makes sense now. ? I'll still keep mine on due to where I drive though. It's a compromise in the end.

OP
OP

Emlangkow

Outer Banks
First Name
Emily
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Depending on where you are it might be cold which will make this tougher. They are attached with just double sided adhesive tape. You'll need to warm it with a heat gun and run either fishing line or dental floss like a saw behind it and slowly work it off. Dental floss breaks a lot so fishing line is better. While you work down do the top and bottom evenly plus keep a towel rag under the free side and keep heating and working eventually you'll have a little leverage as you heat it will lift. Be careful not to break it or pull too fast as you could also damage the finish. Don't rush it.
Thank you so much!!

OP
OP

Emlangkow

Outer Banks
First Name
Emily
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Yipe. That implies it's making a pretty massive dent in the effective Cx (coefficient of drag)!

FWIW, that works out to going from 3.33 to 4.167 gallons of fuel burned per 100 miles (for those thinking in cost-per-mile).
Yep, it's pretty significant. I can tell by the way water moves on the windshield that the ridge on the deflector is causing air to churn over the hood instead of sweeping smoothly up and over the vehicle.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
I've been trying to figure out my MPG drop and seeing your post it makes sense now. ? I'll still keep mine on due to where I drive though. It's a compromise in the end.
Mileage really does not get even till about 4 or 5 thousand miles.

SM05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2021 RAV4 TRD Offroad
Good point. Mine was impressive 28/29 MPG in the first month of ownership. I couldn't figure out why I never get that anymore - it hovers over around 24/25 now. That must've been the hood deflector but I'll see where it's at by the 1st oil change. FTR, I'm fine keeping it on.

OP
OP

Emlangkow

Outer Banks
First Name
Emily
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I put my deflector on around 9k miles. Now I'm over 10k and mpg is still dropping. It was steady before that.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
I put my deflector on around 9k miles. Now I'm over 10k and mpg is still dropping. It was steady before that.
Wow that is a issue. Hum

RS1

Big Bend
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
No deflector. 12,000 miles. Still computer averaging 28.something

MoFoCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit 250, VW eGolf, 2021 Badlands
I’m sure the deflector will make a slight difference in MPG, 1-2 MPG tops, but definitely not 5 MPG. The BS is already a brick, a little bump on the hood can’t make the aero that much worse. And why would the efficiency change over time? Nothing is changing about the accessory or the airflow over it. I’d be looking for other factors before tearing off the deflector.
Sponsored