Tips for removing Aeroskin II Hood Deflector?

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Hood deflector, roof rack, and cargo basket are on constantly. If I'm on highways I'm going 80+ and I average 24.6 mpg. For a 4x4 vehicle that is not designed very aerodynamically; I find that reasonable. If I was looking for mpg I wouldn't have bought my BS ?‍♂
Sponsored

Freddy Turbina

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Sitting at 27.5 mpg in my BB with the deflector. Noticed about a 1-ish mpg drop when I installed it, am surprised it makes it drop by that much.

That being said, the extra gas cost is offset by not needing to buy gallons of touch up paint for the rock chip magnet that is the BS hood…

fred.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Winter formula gas generally causes lower mpg due to some manufacturing process.
A bit lower energy because of the extra winter anti freeze additive I think,
3% antifreeze = 3% less go juice to make up that gallon….right ?
I’d slow down a little Op and wait till spring.

SM05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2021 RAV4 TRD Offroad
Nothing is changing about the accessory or the airflow over it.
Sorry, I don't follow your logic. Hood deflector's job is to literally change the airflow.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
These vehicles are not very aerodynamic. I get how the small change in drag this air deflector makes could affect mileage for a car with very low drag, but it seem to me it would require a significant change to effect the decrease OP reports with the bricks we are driving. I suspect it has more to do with the change in weather.

We've been driving EcoBoost engines (in a Mustang and Escape) for more than seven years, and we always see a decrease in fuel economy as the weather gets cooler. The reason is these engines run very rich until they get to operating temperature, and it takes longer to warm up in the winter. This is especially true if you take frequent short trips. If temps are 40F or below it can take up to 10 minutes for the engine to fully warm up, during which the engine is running with a rich mixture (using more gas).

My advice is to leave the deflector in place over a few seasons and see what happens. Alternatively, manually measure (don't use the dash display) your mileage over a few long trips of highway driving. I may be wrong, but I think you'll find your fuel economy coming back up in the spring when the weather gets warmer.

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Good point. Mine was impressive 28/29 MPG in the first month of ownership. I couldn't figure out why I never get that anymore - it hovers over around 24/25 now. That must've been the hood deflector but I'll see where it's at by the 1st oil change. FTR, I'm fine keeping it on.
That’s where I’m at. If I cared about gas mileage that much I’d have bought a Prius.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
I just bought the same deflector but haven't installed it yet.
Rocks haven't been kind to my aluminum hood or paint.
Hope the fuel efficiency remains reasonable ... I'm getting about 28/29 in BS FE
I have had mine on for 10 months no hits no chips , my mileage is27.7 Highway and 18 city . I also have a fe . I don’t see anything that has been a negative for myself.

Ford Bronco Sport Tips for removing Aeroskin II Hood Deflector? 8A196054-363E-4021-A644-DAA33B7C97F7

Ford Bronco Sport Tips for removing Aeroskin II Hood Deflector? 5F2C667A-433B-4C1A-96B6-9A2D9F9B8CB4

jzombie

Big Bend
First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
So this may be a dumb question but what would make it continue to drop? I get that adding it would change it, but why would the mpg continue to decline? (as you can see I have one too, but I have only had it on a week so no huge flux ...yet?)

Last edited:

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
MPG I do not worry about. My FJ is a flying toaster (literally) and I drive my BMW with Sport+ on almost constantly which means I should just consider the gas tank a child sized sippy cup! :crackup:

That said, I am going to do it the easy way and have Xpel do film on my entire hood and fenders to the door. Then I get a clean hood look and if something does hit the windshield then that is what insurance is for. :)

Weston52

Big Bend
First Name
Weston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Solara, 91 Miata
A solid 2mpg down in 1 month and continuing to drop. Based on the active mpg screen on the dash, I expect it would settle at about 5-6 mpg down, or around 24mpg vs 30 before installing it.
I don’t doubt your mileage drop but I do doubt the deflector is the reason. I’ve got probably 5,000 miles with the deflector and I have no problem doing 30 mpg at 75 or so just like before.
I also know that when shopping for a BS I told a dealer that I would buy the one off his lot if he would remove the bogus hood scoop he had added. The body shop wouldn’t attempt it which suggests to me that there is some risk involved in the effort. I bought elsewhere.
Do what you will but tread carefully.

OP
OP

Emlangkow

Outer Banks
First Name
Emily
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I don’t doubt your mileage drop but I do doubt the deflector is the reason. I’ve got probably 5,000 miles with the deflector and I have no problem doing 30 mpg at 75 or so just like before.
I also know that when shopping for a BS I told a dealer that I would buy the one off his lot if he would remove the bogus hood scoop he had added. The body shop wouldn’t attempt it which suggests to me that there is some risk involved in the effort. I bought elsewhere.
Do what you will but tread carefully.
I appreciate the word of caution and am glad that you aren't having any issues! I actually got it off this morning pretty easily with no damage at all, and have already seen a 3/10 per mile improvement in average mpg which confirms my theory.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
I appreciate the word of caution and am glad that you aren't having any issues! I actually got it off this morning pretty easily with no damage at all, and have already seen a 3/10 per mile improvement in average mpg which confirms my theory.
Good to hear you were successful in removing , how much time did you have into it ? If I might suggest why not try one of the clear raps for the front end check out some u tubes on that . Good luck . Enjoy
Sponsored