maximumwang

Big Bend
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
What are peoples thought about snow tires?
I've got a Big Bend with the stock Continental tires.
Think they're necessary?

I'm living in Brooklyn, NY. Mostly city driving with occasional trips to upstate where it can get a little hairy.
Sponsored

Central Jersey

Big Bend
First Name
Mordechai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big Bend
I'm living in Brooklyn, NY
Stock Continentals are good enough.

I am in Central Jersey the stock continentals on my big bend handled well in the snow at up to 50mph last winter. I started to slide at 52mph . I don’t plan on going that fast again in the snow maybe 40mph next winter in the snow. I do want to get Falken A/T but can’t fit it in my budget

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Toyota Prius AWDe
I am going to try the Falken A/T this winter with plans to pop for snow tyres if needed. The Falken will NOT replace a proper winter tyre no matter what the symbols on the side say. They simply are not soft enough.

All season tyres suck in the snow, no matter who makes them.

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Think they're necessary?

I'm living in Brooklyn, NY. Mostly city driving with occasional trips to upstate where it can get a little hairy.
Really depends on the "Upstate" you are talking about... That lake effect up near Buffalo you should think about getting something with a âť„âť„âť„ rating. If your talking everywhere else solid tread on those continentals will get the job done. Lived upstate commuting to Vermont for 7 years never had a winter specific need for tires.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
In SE Michigan we get some lake effect and freezing temps. I had an all wheel drive challenger with Michelin all seasons and never had an issue. If you are looking for a reason to get the Falken AT I have the 235 and they are nice. Haven't seen winter yet but I am confident it will be a beast. Getting winter treads and rims to preserve your stock rims...not a bad idea really

a33maxi

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport - sold
I did not like how the stock Michelins felt in snow on my Big Bend, but I've always had Blizzaks on my previous vehicles so I'm pretty biased. I'm planning to try the Michelin CrossClimates once the stock tires wear out, they seem to be a happy medium between regular all-seasons and dedicated snow tires.

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Remember. 4WD (or whatever) does not replace actual grip. Neither do all the fancy drive modes. They might get you moving, and help if you screw up in a corner (if you are lucky), but the only thing which keeps you on the road is the rubber of your tyres and how well it can hang onto the snow and ice, and for that, nothing beats a proper winter tyre.

If you live like I do in southern Ontario nestled between the Great Lakes, the best tyre is the Michelin X-Ice three or maybe a Blizzak from Bridgestone. I would get the Michelin. They are cold weather / ice tyres and are good in snow. We get a lot of freeze thaw here and an ice tyre is best.

Continental makes a very good winter tyre biased more towards snow than ice. Scandinavian tyres do as well as they tend to freeze and stay frozen there. They also don't have an (eggplant) for bare pavement in the winter and let snow pack down on the driving surface and just plow the top off. This is actually grippier than a freeze thaw salt slurry mess like we always have here.

I have run both the X-Ice and the Conti winter tyres, and find that both work well with the Michelin edging out the Conti. The Michelins were on a crappy little Nissan and it stuck like you wouldn't believe. The Conti's were on a Golf7 and were really good, but not as good on ice.

Should I get winter tyres (should the Falken Wildpeak Trail be insufficient) I will go with the Michelin again.

I figure it is my ass and my family's ass and the ass of all around me and part of the cost of driving.

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Really depends on the "Upstate" you are talking about... That lake effect up near Buffalo you should think about getting something with a âť„âť„âť„ rating. If your talking everywhere else solid tread on those continentals will get the job done. Lived upstate commuting to Vermont for 7 years never had a winter specific need for tires.
I remember a couple of years ago Buffalo all but vanished in a blizzard off of Lake Erie. Port Erie had almost no snow, and the area around Buffalo (and parts of it) had almost none as well. Lake effect is a funny thing.
Half way between home and work it is like there is a line on the ground where the snow suddenly gets worse. I have seen snow there up over the height of a Jeep Cherokee hood while four km away there was almost nothing. Depends on the winds, and if the lakes freeze.
Gah. All this talk is almost making me want winter again!! What is wrong with me!

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I remember a couple of years ago Buffalo all but vanished in a blizzard off of Lake Erie. Port Erie had almost no snow, and the area around Buffalo (and parts of it) had almost none as well. Lake effect is a funny thing.
Half way between home and work it is like there is a line on the ground where the snow suddenly gets worse. I have seen snow there up over the height of a Jeep Cherokee hood while four km away there was almost nothing. Depends on the winds, and if the lakes freeze.
Gah. All this talk is almost making me want winter again!! What is wrong with me!
We are on the west edge of Lake Erie, and lake Michigan far to the west. It creates a unique scenario. Storms coming due east will go north/south/or split. The lake pushes the storm around us.
If a storm comes from the south/Indy we get smashed. A few years back we had six inches come down every other day. They are predicting deep cold and heavy snow for us. Guess we shall see

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Think they're necessary?

I'm in Westchester and I've always had all seasonals on my AWD vehicles and NEVER had a problem in any storm. I've only put snow tires on my FWD vehicles to ensure safety. But on my BL I'll always run AT on them; I'll be upgrading to the Falkens for sure. On your BB or on any BS I'm sure all seasonals will be more than enough.

OP
OP
maximumwang

maximumwang

Big Bend
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Thanks for the input everybody!

Yeah, upstate like Hudson Valley/Catskills. They get snow, but not like Buffalo (i was born there ;))
Sound like I'll be fine with the stock Conti's. Last winter I was driving a Honda Fit on half-bald tires, so I'm sure i'll be better off than that at least.

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the input everybody!

Yeah, upstate like Hudson Valley/Catskills. They get snow, but not like Buffalo (i was born there ;))
Sound like I'll be fine with the stock Conti's. Last winter I was driving a Honda Fit on half-bald tires, so I'm sure i'll be better off than that at least.
Eeek!
I am one of those people who swap tyres as soon as performance degrades and the thought of half bald no seasons in the winter gives me, well, fits! (See what I did there? Not bad for morning!)

tshaw03

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands/ 2018 Edge Titanium
Though they may not not be necessary, you drive a AWD/4WD SUV, so I say get a severe winter and snow rated All-Terrain like a BFG T/A K02 or a Falken Wildpeak A/T3W. Plus, living in North-East USA, a snow rated tire just seems like common sense to me. And if it's common sense to have a 3-peak rated tire, you might as well buy one that will make your ride look better too. Here in Missouri, we get lots of ice and a good snow every great while. Having those 3-peak rated tires is a must on the ice.

Tall Timbers

Badlands
First Name
Tall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands Bronco Sp, 23 Ford F150 Hybrid (order)
I live in Alaska and we put blizzaks on all of our vehicles during the winter months, which is usually more than half of the year. The siping makes for a pretty good grip and winter tires help significantly when driving in hills. If you're mostly on flatland winter tires are less necessary.

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Remember as well that 3 peak rating does NOT make an A/T tyre a winter tyre. It just means it stops a minimal amount better than a regular all season. In actual snow, ice, and cold weather they are no match for a proper winter tyre. It is simple material science and physics.
Sponsored