Synthentic Blend to Full Synthetic?

Will you continue to use synthetic blend?

• Total voters

PersimmonHills

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I spoke to a master Ford tech who sees the insides of countless engines. He advised me to go with Motorcraft Synthetic Blend. In his experience, it is actually far superior to the Motorcraft Full Synthetic (YMMV). He changes at 5K.
Sponsored

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
No, actually thinking it was a 2020 Escape that already had near 100K. Salesman veh. I'm a mechanical claims adjuster so I see lots of failures that stick in my mind
That's a bit concerning. So this was a 2020 Escape with the Dragon 1.5 triple with BIO timing belt?

As a mechanical claims adjuster, what are your thoughts in that engine? You indicated that it left an impression.

Midgiesbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
That's a bit concerning. So this was a 2020 Escape with the Dragon 1.5 triple with BIO timing belt?

As a mechanical claims adjuster, what are your thoughts in that engine? You indicated that it left an impression.
Since I have only seen one so far that failed I"m still up in the air. I have as well looked at several 2.0 ecotech 2.0's with coolant leaking into combustion chambers but they have since changed block design. Like I tell people who ask "what's a reliable car/SUV" I tell them I can give them advice on a 3yo one since I see the failure trends but newer no so much. I put a 8yr 125K warranty extension on my wife's just to be safe. One major failure and I will not regret spending $2100 on it!

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
No, actually thinking it was a 2020 Escape that already had near 100K. Salesman veh. I'm a mechanical claims adjuster so I see lots of failures that stick in my mind
A 2020 Escape with close to 100K , did you see the maintenance records , thats a lot of miles in a year . Sounds like it was abused . You only saw one & it was a very short time high milage motor , sounds like it did good to get that far .

I don't think we should compare 2008-9 to 2021 especially just one in 2020 .

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I spoke to a master Ford tech who sees the insides of countless engines. He advised me to go with Motorcraft Synthetic Blend. In his experience, it is actually far superior to the Motorcraft Full Synthetic (YMMV). He changes at 5K.
I've been doing some research on my own. at this time and at 3400 miles I've decided to do just this:
Motorcraft Synthetic Blend and a 5,000 mile Interval for as Long as I own this little Dragon with It's Turbo and wet timing belt.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I've been doing some research on my own. at this time and at 3400 miles I've decided to do just this:
Motorcraft Synthetic Blend and a 5,000 mile Interval for as Long as I own this little Dragon with It's Turbo and wet timing belt.
Sounds exactly like my plan if/when I end up with the 1.5L.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I too have done a Bunch of research since this thread came up & I still will be using Full Synthetic on oil changes & will be using Mobil 1 for its better temperature resistance & additive package . I normally use Valvoline , but will switch for the BS & since I don't see my wife driven much more then 5-6 K a year anyway , I will stick to my once a year oil/filter change as usual .

I also did a heap of research on the BIO timing system & am confident the Belt will actually hold upon better with Full Synthetic oils . Belts can last up to 150K on this motor , of course a smart person or advising mechanic would change before that number .

Cost is the main reason to not use Full Synthetic , if keeping to the specified change out spec's , motor should be fine . My main thing is Turbo Heat generated ,top of the line Full Synthetic will resist it better then any other type of Oil , thats a proven fact & I don't care what a Master Ford Mechanic said .

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I'll never worry about the belt as I will trade in or up at or about 80k miles.

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
Synthetic blends are almost all only 10 to 20 percent syn and the rest is roach/dinosaur oil.
Why is full syn better?
The molecules of fossil oil are all different sizes but all round in shape.
Synthetic oil molecules are all the same size and more important are all very small. They are engineered that way.
Why is this better?
Roach oil:
Picture a given size bag of marbles holding 80 to 90 marbles and only 10 to twenty OO' buck shot and bb's.
They are fewer and don't fit as close to each other. Many empty spaces of variable sizes.
FULL synthetic :
Picture that same bag holding 1,000, 2,000 or more tiny #8 bird shot size molecules all very close together.
In both oils the additive package runs about 7 percent and when thats used up the oil is no longer doing its job.
It's main job is heat transfer...
With full synthetic you get far more oil molecules between every bearing surface working very closely together transferring heat with far less vacant spots to generate heat.
heat is the enemy of the additive package.
Our science and knowledge advance, our oil has also.
I want my engines on the good stuff.
So why do they offer blends if synthetic is so much better?

Because it's cheap, and sounds good to people that don't understand the science.
Plus pretend you make cars or refrigerators or washer and dryers.
If you engineer them to last 20 or 30 years or 500,000 miles you will sell far less.
The refrigerator comment:
The motors in all our home appliances used to run forever on ball bearings. Now they are on bushings to wear out faster so you can buy another, sooner.

In the engine break in thread I speak of my engines over the years and how much I drove professionally.
400,000 to 500,000 miles was a normal service life for my various vehicles. Never an engine issue.
That is what FULL synthetic can do..
Looks like a google quote.

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
A 2020 Escape with close to 100K , did you see the maintenance records , thats a lot of miles in a year . Sounds like it was abused . You only saw one & it was a very short time high milage motor , sounds like it did good to get that far .

I don't think we should compare 2008-9 to 2021 especially just one in 2020 .
100K in 1 year? HMMMMMMMMMM

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
For sixteen years I averaged 80k some years was 90k per year.
We had radiation couriers who averaged 130k a year,, very do able.
On a personal vehicle or work vehicle? Most work vehicles you don't get to decide what oil to put into it since they are on scheduled maintenance plans I thought? I really don't see most 3 cylinder engines being used as such extreme duty driving.

219 miles a day every day for a year average is quite extreme.. Just trying to keep the post relevant to the general population who will be buying either a 1.5 or 2.0.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sure would be nice to know what they were talking about , I need a conversion for the terms & abbreviations they were using .:rolleyes:
Sponsored

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ordering, Pricing, Production, Tracking 16