So our Bronco Sport Base is AMAZING in the snow, but...

WoodmanMN

Base
First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Living in northern Minnesota, we've had some snow already this year. Last night, had "blizzard" conditions and had about 6" on the ground when I left for work. My wife is working from home, so I'm using her Bronco Sport. I have a longish, sloping driveway, and didn't have time/inclination to snowblow the driveway at 7am to leave at 7:30, so I just stuck it in "slippery" GOAT mode and it backed right up the driveway no issues. My street is one of the last to get plowed, but she just drove right through the snow like it was nothing.

This is our third AWD Ford, and by far the best in the snow (had a 2016 Escape SE and a 2018 Edge SEL prior to the Bronco Sport) for just getting right to it.

HOWEVER... Two things I've noticed. One is just a minor irritation, that the cowl between the windshield and the back edge of the hood is MASSIVE and I have to reach my arm in to my elbow to dig the snow out of it as I'm clearing it off. The second is that the pre-collision assist radar sensor in the grill gets covered by snow VERY easily, and thus far I get alerts every time it snows. I get it, not many places you can point a forward facing radar, but geez, it gets covered VERY easily.
Sponsored

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Living in northern Minnesota, we've had some snow already this year. Last night, had "blizzard" conditions and had about 6" on the ground when I left for work. My wife is working from home, so I'm using her Bronco Sport. I have a longish, sloping driveway, and didn't have time/inclination to snowblow the driveway at 7am to leave at 7:30, so I just stuck it in "slippery" GOAT mode and it backed right up the driveway no issues. My street is one of the last to get plowed, but she just drove right through the snow like it was nothing.

This is our third AWD Ford, and by far the best in the snow (had a 2016 Escape SE and a 2018 Edge SEL prior to the Bronco Sport) for just getting right to it.

HOWEVER... Two things I've noticed. One is just a minor irritation, that the cowl between the windshield and the back edge of the hood is MASSIVE and I have to reach my arm in to my elbow to dig the snow out of it as I'm clearing it off. The second is that the pre-collision assist radar sensor in the grill gets covered by snow VERY easily, and thus far I get alerts every time it snows. I get it, not many places you can point a forward facing radar, but geez, it gets covered VERY easily.
Yup, should be good up north. Do you have a horse blanket to put over the engine at night? My parents were both born in Minnesota. My mom near Bemidji and my father was born in the twin cities but lived in Lutsen. Lots of old pictures of copious quantities of snow.

Orin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
For the sensor thing nothing can be done when your car is covered with a layer of snow except to maybe disable it from the options menu. This is the reason why I tell people self driving cars is just a fad. It just can't be done unless it's perfect weather. It's just a gimmick. When a computer can't see lines on the road and detect objects on the road when it is raining or snowing then it is useless.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD

I got a Frost guard for my Baby bronc so no more snow in that Grand Canyon you speak of.
The sensors in my side mirrors set that off when iced or frosted over. My frost guard has side mirror cover bags. So no sensor set off for me..
Google it (Frostguard) and donā€™t settle for imitationsā€¦

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB

What trim BS do you have? I have the Big Bend, would like to think it'd plow through 6" of snow, here in the Twin Cities.

I know of this cavern behind the hood you speak of. We had maybe 1" of snow overnight with a layer of ice over it. Lucky it was thin enough to break through, but yes clearing the snow out of that cavern is quite the chore. Wipers in the way doesn't help.

OP
OP

WoodmanMN

Base
First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
What trim BS do you have? I have the Big Bend, would like to think it'd plow through 6" of snow, here in the Twin Cities.

I know of this cavern behind the hood you speak of. We had maybe 1" of snow overnight with a layer of ice over it. Lucky it was thin enough to break through, but yes clearing the snow out of that cavern is quite the chore. Wipers in the way doesn't help.
I have the Bronco Sport Base trim. I had zero issue with the snow this morning, felt like it wasn't even there.

Zolutar

Outer Banks
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport OB+, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Any vehicle with ACC or ICC has this issue. The BS has the problem in snow and really heavy rain. My Escape has the problem too.
Turn off the ACC/ICC and you can use regular old Cruise Control, but most would tell you, CC isn't safe in these conditions anyway, so time to just do some old fashioned driving!

I do agree with the cowl gap. it is huge and really gathers up the snow. Though it is big enough to clear out easily enough as compared to the Escape which I kinda refer to the cowl on that as a lint trap and rather narrow....

Alistar

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I've just got my Bronco Sport today and went thru the manual book.

"Page 206 - Driver alert" and "page 207- Lane keeping system"

āš  WARNING: In cold and severe weather conditions the system may not function. Rain, snow and spray can all limit sensor performance.

OP
OP

WoodmanMN

Base
First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport

āš  WARNING: In cold and severe weather conditions the system may not function. Rain, snow and spray can all limit sensor performance.
My issue isn't so much its not working (I drive well enough to not need it) but with how easily it is covered or rendered useless. Such a "safety feature" should be better engineered in my opinion. Yes I can turn it off, but I shouldn't have to.

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL

I've had my BS for 10 months and only once have I experienced the 360+ system disable due to weather, and I was driving on an interstate when a torrential downpour hit.

My previous car (Lexus) would require me to brush off the emblem in the grille to get the sensors working in heavy snow.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
For the sensor thing nothing can be done when your car is covered with a layer of snow except to maybe disable it from the options menu. This is the reason why I tell people self driving cars is just a fad. It just can't be done unless it's perfect weather. It's just a gimmick. When a computer can't see lines on the road and detect objects on the road when it is raining or snowing then it is useless.
Itā€˜s not a gimmick or a fad. Self driving cars are getting better every year. Technologies like Forward Looking Infrared could help mitigate some of the weather problems, as would sensors that are heated (note that both of those solutions are used, to some extent, on aicraft).

Besides, even if full self-driving cars couldnā€™t get past the problems associated with inclement weather, it doesnā€™t mean that is a failure. Ever have a flight cancel because of weather? Airplanes have weather limits, are they considered a fad? A gimmick? Certainly not. They have their limits and we learn to live with them, just like any other machine.

WinTech

Big Bend
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BB, 2022 Passport, 2023 HR-V
I'm confused. The Base model does not have co pilot 360+ available so there is no radar sensor in the grill. The pre collision assist uses the camera up by the mirror. If something is blocking that part of the windshield you will get the message. Only vehicles with ACC have the radar module. On models with 360+ it is a solid rectangular plastic piece in the lower grill. Cars with out 360+ do not have that.

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
So they're good in Southern California most the year then

OP
OP

WoodmanMN

Base
First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I'm confused. The Base model does not have co pilot 360+ available so there is no radar sensor in the grill. The pre collision assist uses the camera up by the mirror. If something is blocking that part of the windshield you will get the message. Only vehicles with ACC have the radar module. On models with 360+ it is a solid rectangular plastic piece in the lower grill. Cars with out 360+ do not have that.
Well, I assumed there was a sensor in the grill as that'd be the most logical place to put it. I do always clear my entire windshield of snow, unsure if there are other sensors around the vehicle to aid the pre-collision assist or if it's all in the bundle ahead of the rear view mirror, but if it's getting obstructed by fog or something in the space between the glass and the sensor, or being obstructed so easily AFTER I clear the entire windshield, it is (as I said before) a poorly designed system. I do not rely on the per-collision assist, but I feel that additional safety features should be able to work in conditions where they may be most needed, such as snowy/icy conditions.

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Toyota Prius AWDe
Well, I assumed there was a sensor in the grill as that'd be the most logical place to put it. I do always clear my entire windshield of snow, unsure if there are other sensors around the vehicle to aid the pre-collision assist or if it's all in the bundle ahead of the rear view mirror, but if it's getting obstructed by fog or something in the space between the glass and the sensor, or being obstructed so easily AFTER I clear the entire windshield, it is (as I said before) a poorly designed system. I do not rely on the per-collision assist, but I feel that additional safety features should be able to work in conditions where they may be most needed, such as snowy/icy conditions.
Adaptive cruise radar is in the grill where it can die a weather related death. the rest is up at the top of the window by the mirror.

General response - I find the car is ok in the snow with Falken Wildpeak Trail tyres, but no where near as good as a Golf7 with narrower real winter tires. The tyres I have are subpar and like most suv cars, the tyres are too wide for snow on road. I have played with the goat modes (big bend) and find slippery mode borderline useless and sand mode nice for mud (only option when the car bogs) or gravelly very steep inclines. I generally leave it in normal mode. So far, the plastic under sheeting under the car is falling off due to the weight of accumulated gravel grit and dirt. I drive a lot of gravel roads. I fully expect it to fall off this winter both sides before spring. I may end up buying ramps so I can get under the thing and just remove them and toss them into the bin (assuming there is nothing overly breakable under there).

I am not disappointed in it, but am realistic about my expectations.
Sponsored