Signature lights auto start up flicker???

SilverVVolf

Badlands
First Name
Rad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I've seen in DOZENS of videos over the past year ever since I pre-ordered mine, that when auto starting the lights would do this intentional flickering on. I can't remember the order but it was something like the horizontal lines would flicker twice or so first, then the circle would ignite and do something similar but there was always a delay like Ford designed it as a cool feature to show off.

Note: I'm NOT referring to the constant flicker the lights do in videos that is a result in the way the camera lens shows LED lights. The initial startup of the bronco looks like it was designed to flicker on in the pattern I mentioned above.

Is this a camera trick as well? Or some kind of button hitting pattern I do on the fob?

FE, BL, & OB owners, have you gotten yours to do this?

Base & BB sadly don't have LED signature lighting on theirs. Sorry.

I saw a Badlands BS do it in a video the other day. If I can find it, I'll add it.
Sponsored

George G

Badlands
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco sport
I've seen in DOZENS of videos over the past year ever since I pre-ordered mine, that when auto starting the lights would do this intentional flickering on. I can't remember the order but it was something like the horizontal lines would flicker twice or so first, then the circle would ignite and do something similar but there was always a delay like Ford designed it as a cool feature to show off.

Note: I'm NOT referring to the constant flicker the lights do in videos that is a result in the way the camera lens shows LED lights. The initial startup of the bronco looks like it was designed to flicker on in the pattern I mentioned above.

Is this a camera trick as well? Or some kind of button hitting pattern I do on the fob?

FE, BL, & OB owners, have you gotten yours to do this?

Base & BB sadly don't have LED signature lighting on theirs. Sorry.

I saw a Badlands BS do it in a video the other day. If I can find it, I'll add it.
What video?

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
posting one of those dozen videos would be great.

BaseOrBust

Base
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus
Looks like the signature light turns on all at once in this video. The only delayed light here is the turn indicator light. You may have seen something different however.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
LED bulbs are turning on and off, the flickering on video becomes more pronounced and obvious because the camera’s recording frames per second is unaligned with the frequency of electricity. This is called the ‘strobe effect’.
LEDs are powered by alternating current, AC, in which electrons in the electricity move in and out of the circuit in cycles.

A cycle of electrons per second is called Hertz (Hz). In 1 cycle or Hertz, the light bulb actually turns off 2 times, as the electron alternates in and out.

In the US, electricity runs on 60 Hz, and in the rest of the world, it runs on 50 Hz. Which means the bulb is actually turning on and off between 100 to 120 times per second.

While our eye cannot see that flicker, seeing the LED through a camera lens makes the flickering obvious. We can see it happen on our screen as we record or playback a video.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
LED bulbs are turning on and off, the flickering on video becomes more pronounced and obvious because the camera’s recording frames per second is unaligned with the frequency of electricity. This is called the ‘strobe effect’.
LEDs are powered by alternating current, AC, in which electrons in the electricity move in and out of the circuit in cycles.

A cycle of electrons per second is called Hertz (Hz). In 1 cycle or Hertz, the light bulb actually turns off 2 times, as the electron alternates in and out.

In the US, electricity runs on 60 Hz, and in the rest of the world, it runs on 50 Hz. Which means the bulb is actually turning on and off between 100 to 120 times per second.

While our eye cannot see that flicker, seeing the LED through a camera lens makes the flickering obvious. We can see it happen on our screen as we record or playback a video.
Thanks Mike ,after that my head is starting to hurt again . But I do get what you are saying. I first seen it on A TFL U TUBE . THANKS

OP
OP
SilverVVolf

SilverVVolf

Badlands
First Name
Rad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport

Yeah that must've been it. Someone would have known what I was talking about by now. Hell I think the first time I saw it was a promotional video done by Ford. Probably has something to do with the quality of the equipment I would imagine as well. Cause I've seen videos where the flicker is either non-existent or very minimal. I can't find a great example of a video either. Everytime I've seen it, it takes up a whole 5 seconds of a 15-30 min video and I've poured over A LOT of content since July 2020. Just seemed like it was an intentional startup feature. I'll update if I find a stellar example of what I'm talking about but I guess that's just the function you explained.

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
LEDs are usually powered by DC, but can be powered with A/C. We did it both ways in R&D in the various places I worked, but mostly with DC.

What makes you so sure these are AC powered and not DC?

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
LEDs are usually powered by DC, but can be powered with A/C. We did it both ways in R&D in the various places I worked, but mostly with DC.

What makes you so sure these are AC powered and not DC?
Oh I thought I added the link. I pasted from an article. I'm sure they are DC but the principle is the same with cycles on and off.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Yeah that must've been it. Someone would have known what I was talking about by now. Hell I think the first time I saw it was a promotional video done by Ford. Probably has something to do with the quality of the equipment I would imagine as well. Cause I've seen videos where the flicker is either non-existent or very minimal. I can't find a great example of a video either. Everytime I've seen it, it takes up a whole 5 seconds of a 15-30 min video and I've poured over A LOT of content since July 2020. Just seemed like it was an intentional startup feature. I'll update if I find a stellar example of what I'm talking about but I guess that's just the function you explained.
I've seen a similar (or that) video I know what you meant. They don't flicker to the naked eye.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Mine don't do anything special when I use the FOB to start it. The Parking lights come on first and then the circle/line DRLs and the parking lights go out.

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Oh I thought I added the link. I pasted from an article. I'm sure they are DC but the principle is the same with cycles on and off.
In what way are they the same with cycles on and off? A/C is sinusoidal and therefore you have positive and negative going transitions, but DC is steady state unless it is intentionally turned off. I can't see Ford doing something with switching on/off all the time as it's easier to do steady state circuitry.

I'm just trying to clarify things in my mind.
Sponsored