Power Man

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Escape, Mustang, Fiesta,
We have a 21 outer banks with 27900 miles. When I drove off the lot I set my trip to see my life time mileage…i Am at 28.3 mpg using mostly eco mode…combined city and highway.
Sponsored

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
I live in Albuquerque, and regular gas here is 86 octane because of the altitude. . Ford recommends 87 minimum. From what I've read, turbos, unlike other cars, need the 87 octane. They don't lose power at altitude like a regualr engine does. I also read one article that said buying top-tier gas (with more detergent) might be more important than buying premium. I had never heard of top-tier gas, but noticed to logo at Costco pumps. Coming back from the Bronco Off-Rodeo in Moab (starting in the mountains above Moab) I averaged 32 mpg using premium 88 octane.. Going uphill, I got over 29 mpg.. I have about 1200 miles on my Badlands with the larger 235 tires. I was averaging over 25 mpg in town (mostly 30 mph driving) until it got hot, and I'm now at 24. I noticed the BS provided at the Off-Rodeo was only getting 19 mpg, but we were doing some fairly serious off-roading through sand and rock.

altoblue

Big Bend
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Big Bend
I'm about 1100 miles into my Outer Banks and I've noticed that the MPG hasn't been what I expected at about a combined 21 or 22 MPG. I've had a healthy mix of both city and highway driving. On the highway alone, I get about 24-25 MPG. In the city, I get closer to 19 or 20. It's gotten as low as 16 or 17. I'm hoping there's not a mechanical issue, but I do know that Ford recommends using fuel with higher octane.

I did some calculations— based on a combined 22 MPG on regular fuel, gas prices in my area, and my yearly mileage, I would need to get at least 24.5 MPG combined in order to "break even" and make buying premium fuel financially worth it. Anything lower than that would provide marginal MPG that is too low to justify the extra cost. If anyone wants my spreadsheet on how I calculated this feel free to let me know.

For those who use premium fuel, have you noticed an improvement in MPG compared to regular? Thanks!

Edit: forgot to add that I try to use Eco mode as much as possible and have auto-start/stop turned on.
i used high test exclusively for the first 5000 miles maybe more and then switched to 87 and see no difference in mpg and my tires are 2 sizes larger with a lift kit as well. no difference. If you are getting low mpg you either have a heavy right foot or you are driving in sport mode.

BroncMan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kr-photography.ca
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I'm about 1100 miles into my Outer Banks and I've noticed that the MPG hasn't been what I expected at about a combined 21 or 22 MPG. I've had a healthy mix of both city and highway driving. On the highway alone, I get about 24-25 MPG. In the city, I get closer to 19 or 20. It's gotten as low as 16 or 17. I'm hoping there's not a mechanical issue, but I do know that Ford recommends using fuel with higher octane.

I did some calculations— based on a combined 22 MPG on regular fuel, gas prices in my area, and my yearly mileage, I would need to get at least 24.5 MPG combined in order to "break even" and make buying premium fuel financially worth it. Anything lower than that would provide marginal MPG that is too low to justify the extra cost. If anyone wants my spreadsheet on how I calculated this feel free to let me know.

For those who use premium fuel, have you noticed an improvement in MPG compared to regular? Thanks!

Edit: forgot to add that I try to use Eco mode as much as possible and have auto-start/stop turned on.
Hi All,
with my Oct. 2021 Outer Banks (app. 5500 km now / low milage due to work from home :) ), I average about 7.3liters / per 100km. I'm not too familiar with this non-metric stuff but googled a converter - it should average to about 30-32 m/p.g in normal mode. I'm not heavy on the pedal and it's not very mountainous. However, I use often premium gas (higher octane and NO methanol) just to be nice to my baby. Do oil changes earlier/more often than recommended also keeps valves etc. clean. I use an additive (in my case LiquiMoly DI (for direct injection engines) as a regular maintenance (more often). Maybe all this combined helps...?
Cheers

Ford Bronco Sport Should I switch to premium fuel? NewBronco-Oct30-2021-1a

mountaincub

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS Badlands and 2021 BS Outer Banks

We get about 30 mpg on our 2021 Outerbanks and around 24 on the 2022 Badlands. This is overall driving on both. This is using regular 87 octane.

max the dog

Badlands
First Name
warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L8000, Excursion, F350, escape, BL, Hummer

I've had my 21 Badlands for a year and with only 4200 miles, 87 octane Sunoco my total mpg is 30.1. I'm vergentle on the pedal.

TSBates

Banned
First Edition
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
If the end game is prices savings ie. Better fuel mileage the rate our fuel gouging is going, are the miles gained worth the price overage paid?
Current my local cheapest is
$4.79/g for 87
$4.99/g midgrade 89
$5.49/g premium 91
70¢ per gallon at 16 gallons is $11.20 extra.

if you gain 2-3 miles per gallon is it worth the extra at the pump? (32-48 Miles or roughly two gallons of gas ($10.98 in free gas) net gain...22 cents.
In my First Edition I get around 20.mpg and on HWY up to 26....keep in mind engine size has a lot to do with this too so take that into consideration. I have the larger engine....

Also, I have read that you should NOT deviate from what your handbook tells you to use in terms of fuel grade....because the engines are PROGRAMMED/TUNED FOR THE ADVERTISED FUEL AND THAT ANY DEVIATION CAN ACTUALLY HARM THE ENGINE... NOT SURE IF THIS IS TRUE BUT i HAVE READ IT FROM MULTIPLE SOURCES...

Last edited:

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
In my First Edition I get around 20.mpg and on HWY up to 26....keep in mind engine size has a lot to do with this too so take that into consideration. I have the larger engine....

Also, I have read that you should NOT deviate from what your handbook tells you to use in terms of fuel grade....because the engines are PROGRAMMED/TUNED FOR THE ADVERTISED FUEL AND THAT ANY DEVIATION CAN ACTUALLY HARM THE ENGINE... NOT SURE IF THIS IS TRUE BUT i HAVE READ IT FROM MULTIPLE SOURCES...
I had a 92 ranger right out of college. Trip to Florida we were low on fuel and the nearest stop for one reason or another only had 93. The engine called for 87, and within ten miles the check engine light came on. The truck was less than a year old so my buddy had relatives at the local Ford dealer. They discovered I had fried the oxygen sensors with the higher octane fuel. Fortunately they replaced them no charge.
I'm not sure with more modern engines if the same holds true, I've run 87 for a year of ownership in the 2.0 and so far...knock on wood, zero issues or performance problems. I'm averaging 24mpg in suburban flat travel with a mile between stops. I log equal highway miles at 75+ in cruise and reach 30+ with favorable winds.
I'd agree with you, the engineering specs and manuals are there for you and following them saves a lot of issues immediate and long term

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
The first link includes this:

“It has also been suggested that there could be fuel efficiency benefits (on a tank to wheels basis) for specially adapted engines, for example, operating at higher compression ratio, on very high RON (100+).”

We don’t have specially adapted engines, and no one is selling 100 octane at the pump.

The second link includes:

“Although drivers of vehicles that recommend, but do not require, premium gasoline are unlikely to see any benefit from using premium gasoline during typical city or highway driving, a combination of laboratory and on-road tests were performed to simulate extreme driving scenarios such as towing, hauling cargo and aggressive acceleration.”

This makes sense given the engine control algorithm that advances timing when using premium only applies at high power output. If you are burning regular, your engine is already hot and you demand high power (aggressive acceleration) timing can only be retarded so far. The only option at that point to protect the engine from detonation is to enrich the mixture, which means you are using more fuel. A richer mixture burns more slowly, effectively retarding the timing of peak cylinder pressure. This will lower operating temperature and power output.

But we’re still at the same place; under normal driving conditions using premium offers no better efficiency. Here’s an article from Car & Driver testing several different vehicles using premium and regular. This is strong evidence (to me) that you should save your money and use regular (min 87 octane) unless you need the extra power.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a28565486/honda-cr-v-vs-bmw-m5-ford-f-150-dodge-charger/
One of the articles also shows a 7.1% increase in fuel economy when using premium, which means a loss of fuel economy when using regular.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
One of the articles also shows a 7.1% increase in fuel economy when using premium, which means a loss of fuel economy when using regular.
Yes, during laboratory conditions simulating "extreme driving scenarios such as towing, hauling cargo and aggressive acceleration.” No difference noted during normal driving conditions.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Yes, during laboratory conditions simulating "extreme driving scenarios such as towing, hauling cargo and aggressive acceleration.” No difference noted during normal driving conditions.
You asked for verification that a modern vehicle could get better MPG running on premium. You got it. Don’t be so picky😂

Bassfish

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco sport
I get 29 to 31 using 89 octane..but occasionally i put a can of octane booster ..seams to wake up my little 1.5..mostly interstate with eco mode selected

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
You asked for verification that a modern vehicle could get better MPG running on premium. You got it. Don’t be so picky😂
Ex-tech writer--can't help it. I don't drive in a lab!

BroncMan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kr-photography.ca
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport

The manual says: (at least in mine) "87 octane minimum" ... so, you are free to use premium once in a while or all the time. It won't hurt your engine!

Reactions: ZQ8

galacticjedi

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base 1.5L
My BS 1.5 has 10K miles and have used regular until 8.5K when i switched to premium. I obtained better gas mileage from 23.4 to 25.2 MPG, both city / highway. I have now noticed the performance is much smoother and don’t need depress the gas pedal more. I do have a custom intake i put together. With the stock intake @ regular gas I was getting the 23.4MPG.
Sponsored