Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Not gonna lie... I don't give 2 flips about fuel economy.
Yup, everyone's priorities are different. For me, fuel economy was the difference between a Bronco and the Bronco Sport. I simply can't justify using twice as much fuel with a Bronco to do the same thing as I can do with a Bronco Sport.
Sponsored

TravisPNW

Badlands
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Yup, everyone's priorities are different. For me, fuel economy was the difference between a Bronco and the Bronco Sport. I simply can't justify using twice as much fuel with a Bronco to do the same thing as I can do with a Bronco Sport.
I agree with you on that. For me it was an easier decision that didn't take fuel mileage into consideration at all... it was the simple fact that Sport is all I need from a straight up size perspective. This thing is great! Reminds me so much of the Bronco II I grew up with in the 80's!

hwildey

Big Bend
First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
So the overall conclusion is this. You will get better performance (acceleration, power up hills and towing) with higher octane gasoline. You won't get better mileage. The best way to improve mileage is to change driving habits (slow acceleration in Normal mode will be even better than just going in Eco mode). I watch this with every tank and trip I take, if I drive like I am in a hurry mileage suffers, if I get up to the speed limit slowly and keep it there I get better mileage. True for city and highway.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
So the overall conclusion is this. You will get better performance (acceleration, power up hills and towing) with higher octane gasoline. You won't get better mileage. The best way to improve mileage is to change driving habits (slow acceleration in Normal mode will be even better than just going in Eco mode). I watch this with every tank and trip I take, if I drive like I am in a hurry mileage suffers, if I get up to the speed limit slowly and keep it there I get better mileage. True for city and highway.
I think this is accurate. Some report better mileage with premium, others don't. I've been hand-tracking fuel usage for my Badlands since new (nearly 9k miles now) with both regular and premium. For my use case at least I'm convinced there is no mileage gains to be had using premium. Power, yes! Better mileage, no.

TravisPNW

Badlands
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think this is accurate. Some report better mileage with premium, others don't. I've been hand-tracking fuel usage for my Badlands since new (nearly 9k miles now) with both regular and premium. For my use case at least I'm convinced there is no mileage gains to be had using premium. Power, yes! Better mileage, no.
I'd agree. I'm also tracking fuel usage but don't have a big enough sample size yet to post my thoughts... but I'm not expecting improved fuel mileage at all. Definitely not spending a few bucks extra every tank for a couple MPGs... I'm doing it for performance gains... and because it's such a small cost increase.

I really like the Sport mode. While the 2.0L definitely isn't a 485hp V8 it still has a good amount of get up and go.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Not gonna lie... I don't give 2 flips about fuel economy

It's $81.60 for 16 gallons of 87 @ $5.10 or $86.40 for 16 gallons of 93 @ $5.40...

That $4.80 difference every tank
Cool but here I paid $3.09 a gallon for regular and while standing there reading the 93 octane I was looking at $3.89.
Mid grade -89 octane that I use in the summer is always in the middle. Last time it was $3.49
I could feel a slightly smoother response in the heat of the summer with the 89 octane and absolutely no difference moving from the 89 to the 93 octane.
With my 1.5L,
In my Appalachian’s.

.30x10 is 3.00 more, But the 93 octane is .90x10 or Nine dollars more.
A tank, 16x.90 is $14.90 more.
I gas up every 10 gallons at most because some times I’m pointed up and sometimes down. I want to keep my fuel pump cooled.
If I could afford a Charger I prolly would have gotten a 4x4 F-150 short bed. But thats me.
I bought the Bronco Sport BASE model because it was less than 30 grand and got good gas mileage.
I believe 6,7 and maybe 8 dollars a gallon is coming.
I can cut my weekly driving needs down to only 100 miles.
4 gallons at $8 is 32 bucks.
16 would be $128 per tank.
Preppers prepare for the worst they can afford.
I pity the 14 mpg cowboy Cadillac owners up here.
FWIW most stations up here only show diesel on the street sign as gas prices are changing hourly now it seems.
I counted five that left their GAS fuel prices blank.
We only have seven.

Last edited:

TravisPNW

Badlands
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I could afford a Charger I prolly would have gotten a 4x4 F-150 short bed. But thats me.
I bought the Bronco Sport BASE model because it was less than 30 grand and got good gas mileage.
I was driving a Challenger Scat Pack 392... 485 hp... but after 8 years I let it go in favor of the Bronco Sport Badlands.

Fuel mileage and cost didn't have a thing to do with my decision though. I just wanted a vehicle that was more off road/winter driving capable... and much like I loved the retro look of the Challenger (2015+ models) I also think Ford nailed it with both versions of the Bronco. I grew up with a Bronco II and this Sport reminds me of it a whole lot... and here I am.
Sponsored