Safely Removing Bugs

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
For the past six years I’ve been removing bugs by spraying the impacted areas with Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover, letting it sit for a minute and then gently removing the residue with a microfiber cloth before rinsing it off.

I was initially worried about the impact it might have on the paint but after doing it that way for three years on a Ford Fusion and three years on a Ford Escape, I haven’t seen any damage whatsoever.

Is this how everyone does it?

The Bronco Sport has a lot more black plastic up front. Will applying the bug remover damage it or should it be just fine?
Sponsored

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
I would expect Bug & Tar Remover is safe for plastics. You might read on the bottle just to be sure but the BS is not the only vehicle with plastics on the front/side/everywhere.

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
I’ve never liked using those cleaners on the paint. Have always just used soap and water with a lot of scrubbing once they’ve soaked a little. Love Bugs in Florida are an absolute nuisance. You can use a watered down dryer sheet on your windshield or just a solution of fabric softener and water. I wouldn’t use it on your paint but the windshield is totally fine.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
I’ve never liked using those cleaners on the paint. Have always just used soap and water with a lot of scrubbing once they’ve soaked a little. Love Bugs in Florida are an absolute nuisance. You can use a watered down dryer sheet on your windshield or just a solution of fabric softener and water. I wouldn’t use it on your paint but the windshield is totally fine.
"A lot of scrubbing" will cause more damage than pretty much any chemical meant to be applied to a car.

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
"A lot of scrubbing" will cause more damage than pretty much any chemical meant to be applied to a car.
Lots of water, let it soak, microfiber or a sponge, and there is no issue removing them. If it’s really covered I’ll take it the self car wash first to remove as much as possible.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
For the past six years I’ve been removing bugs by spraying the impacted areas with Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover, letting it sit for a minute and then gently removing the residue with a microfiber cloth before rinsing it off.

I was initially worried about the impact it might have on the paint but after doing it that way for three years on a Ford Fusion and three years on a Ford Escape, I haven’t seen any damage whatsoever.

The Bronco Sport has a lot more black plastic up front. Will applying the bug remover damage it or should it be just fine?
Being from Wisconsin as well, I just let them build up and use them as primary protection against rocks! :cool:

I've always just used soap and water and don't get that concerned if it doesn't all come off. They do overtime.

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
I wait for big thunderstorm and then drive as fast I can. That gets the bugs off.
J/K, but driving in the rain is always an option to get them off or at least soften them up.

If rain isn't in the forecast I use the pressure washer on them. I have the pressure washer out regardless as I use a foam cannon.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Believe it or not, the absolute best bug removal chemical is cold H2O. Set your tap to a low flow from your hose (easier to control to avoid getting wet), then run the water over the bugs while you rub them using your hand. If you do this every day before you put the car away it takes <5 mins to clean the bugs off the windshield, mirrors, and bumper/grill. No other chemicals required, and no excessive scrubbing. No one ever believes this until they try it. It’s like magic. NOTE: Bugs are protein, so if you use hot water you will cook them on. Use cold water only.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I've used the turtle wax for years. I've also used spray foam glass cleaner. We use it exclusively on our fire trucks with lemon pledge. Some of our trucks are 20+ and look as glossy and clean as factory. I can verify after taking one of our tanks to Appleton for repairs and the dealer asked if it was a new delivery....when he scanned the VIN and realized it was 19 going on twenty he asked our secret. Attention to timing and detail.

missOutsyder

Outer Banks
First Name
KT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

In my experience, not letting them bake on is important. When I do this, I just need my foam gun on the cold hose and a cold water rinse
Sponsored