AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
I've had a rtt on the BS for a while now with no issues and it's been great.

Here it is open and closed

Ford Bronco Sport Rooftop Tent or Sleeping Inside PXL_20211031_203953363~2
Ford Bronco Sport Rooftop Tent or Sleeping Inside PXL_20211114_231805272

And the inside with all our gear
Ford Bronco Sport Rooftop Tent or Sleeping Inside PXL_20211203_071739985
are you rocking a roof platform?
sweet everything btw haha!
Sponsored

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I am not sure if this forum is still active but any help would be greatly appreciated. I just got my Bronco Sport yesterday after having to part with my wifes toyota 4runner. We have a Desert Armor Warrior XL RTT (150lbs). I have been trying to figure out if we are able to mount it to the Bronco. However, I feel like I have been mislead. I have seen the photos of Bronco Sports with RTT's but when I look at the manual it says maximum weight of 150lbs. Even the RTT that they show in the pictures is 110lbs. If that is true then no one except a toddler could sleep up there. I feel like Ford false advertised the ability of the roof rack. Can someone please help me figure this out? Even the cross rails they are using in photos have a max weight of 165lbs.
Depending on the model and if you have a moonroof or not it varies. I believe it's 165lbs without the moonroof while in motion and it's 800lbs while parked. Me, my wife and a toddler slept several times no problem.

vyruz

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Big Bend, Toyota 86
I'm considering these rack rails:
https://omacshop.com/collections/bronco-sport/products/roof-rack-cross-bars-luggage-carrier-black-adjustable-for-ford-bronco-sport-2021

And the iKamper Mini roof top tent here:
https://www.ikamper.com/products/skycamp-mini/

My BS Big Bend doesn't have a sun roof, but there's a bunch of roof top tent options out there. Check out dimensions, find what suits you. I prefer the hardshell type, so much easier than the zip on/velcro covers, especially if you're short.
Did you end up getting this setup? I had gotten those rails just for a roof rack i already had but when i started considering a tent it seems they can not handle the weight of tent with a person or two in it (i even emailed to ask about this and they said static weight canā€™t be above 165lbs).

fastlax16

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport Badlands, 2019 VW Golf R
I am not sure if this forum is still active but any help would be greatly appreciated. I just got my Bronco Sport yesterday after having to part with my wifes toyota 4runner. We have a Desert Armor Warrior XL RTT (150lbs). I have been trying to figure out if we are able to mount it to the Bronco. However, I feel like I have been mislead. I have seen the photos of Bronco Sports with RTT's but when I look at the manual it says maximum weight of 150lbs. Even the RTT that they show in the pictures is 110lbs. If that is true then no one except a toddler could sleep up there. I feel like Ford false advertised the ability of the roof rack. Can someone please help me figure this out? Even the cross rails they are using in photos have a max weight of 165lbs.
the weight limits are while in motion, not parked. hard to find a static weight listed anywhere but 600 is what it says here: https://www.sarchionefordlincoln.com/2021-bronco-sport.html#:~:text=On the move, the Bronco,a 600-lb static load.

Roof-Rack Capacity
On the move, the Bronco Sport roof-rack structure can handle up to 150-lb. dynamic load with the standard steel roof. In order to avoid damp ground or pesky critters, the high load capacity also gives you the ability to elevate campsite, holding up to a 600-lb static load.

Last edited:

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
Did you end up getting this setup? I had gotten those rails just for a roof rack i already had but when i started considering a tent it seems they can not handle the weight of tent with a person or two in it (i even emailed to ask about this and they said static weight canā€™t be above 165lbs).
I have not purchased either yet. Probably this spring, gives me time to see if anything new comes out. I'm also considering an RTT from Desert Armor, possibly the Soldier model, 122lbs. The Warrior is 120lbs.

https://desertarmorshop.com/roof-top-tents/

I'd have to do more research on static and dynamic ratings for RTT's.

Edit. Here's a quick blurb on rack/rtt weight requirements.
https://offroadtents.com/blogs/news/best-roof-racks-and-crossbars-for-your-roof-top-tent

Last edited:

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have not purchased either yet. Probably this spring, gives me time to see if anything new comes out. I'm also considering an RTT from Desert Armor, possibly the Soldier model, 122lbs. The Warrior is 120lbs.

https://desertarmorshop.com/roof-top-tents/

I'd have to do more research on static and dynamic ratings for RTT's.

Edit. Here's a quick blurb on rack/rtt weight requirements.
https://offroadtents.com/blogs/news/best-roof-racks-and-crossbars-for-your-roof-top-tent
we have the smittybuilt and just got the annex room. we absolutely love this rtt and highly recommend if you are looking at one. ordered off amazon, showed up in 3 days. i believe it is 125-120lbs but dont quote me on that.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Unless when possibly camping in the snow, I'd just set up my tent on the ground and not have to pack everything up anytime I want to go on an excursion with the BS.
No need for me to look or pretend I'm an overlander.

kino

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BS; '18 GC Trailhawk V8 ; ā€˜22 Explr ST ordered
I have a trailer with a larger RTT that I tow in back of my vehicles. It gives me room for my kayaks and/or roof basket on top of my vehicles (and can still open the back hatch easily or put a bike holder there).

I will probably post a picture on my BS/BL when the weather gets better. It is in storage for now.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The smaller Yakima RTT on a Yakima rack -- even on a BL/BL (i.e. with moonroof) is just fine. But, the larger RTT, or adding any other stuff up there would "technically" put you over the rooftop DYNAMIC load limit -- i.e. going down the road. It's ALL about rollover risk/liability. It's not structural -- it's about the additional weight of the moonroof components vs. without the moonroof. Plenty of folks are going down the road with the bigger tent, plus awning, etc. etc. and over the 150lb. limit without problems. They know the limitations of the vehicle under their load conditions, and drive accordingly. STATIC (parked) load limit is 600lb.

AllTerrain

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I've had a rtt on the BS for a while now with no issues and it's been great.

Here it is open and closed

Ford Bronco Sport Rooftop Tent or Sleeping Inside PXL_20211031_203953363~2
Ford Bronco Sport Rooftop Tent or Sleeping Inside PXL_20211114_231805272

And the inside with all our gear
Ford Bronco Sport Rooftop Tent or Sleeping Inside PXL_20211203_071739985
How much added weight is the drawers and deck box? Good-looking setup.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unless when possibly camping in the snow, I'd just set up my tent on the ground and not have to pack everything up anytime I want to go on an excursion with the BS.
No need for me to look or pretend I'm an overlander.
with me and the gf, we can setup the rtt tent, or tear it down in prob 5 mins if that. itā€™s incredibly simple and easy to setup. and sleeping up there, is so freekin comfy.
i guess youd have to experience it to really understand it.
plus the wow factor was great, eveywhere we went people ask questions. we had an entire family of new canadians that were blown away by the setup. memories that will never fade ā€¦
Ford Bronco Sport Rooftop Tent or Sleeping Inside 382CFC5E-6284-400F-B8C3-E1DD261EA16C

Ford Bronco Sport Rooftop Tent or Sleeping Inside A14651E5-83BA-4E22-AE45-9A2802B5A47A

tburner

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The smaller Yakima RTT on a Yakima rack -- even on a BL/BL (i.e. with moonroof) is just fine. But, the larger RTT, or adding any other stuff up there would "technically" put you over the rooftop DYNAMIC load limit -- i.e. going down the road. It's ALL about rollover risk/liability. It's not structural -- it's about the additional weight of the moonroof components vs. without the moonroof. Plenty of folks are going down the road with the bigger tent, plus awning, etc. etc. and over the 150lb. limit without problems. They know the limitations of the vehicle under their load conditions, and drive accordingly. STATIC (parked) load limit is 600lb.
Can confirm. I have a BL+BL (with moonroof) that was a mannequin configured by Ford with the Yakima RTT and awning. Have driven many miles and some light offroading with both up top and the BS hasn't collapsed and killed me even a little bit.
Sponsored