Rooftop Tent or Sleeping Inside

McBrideless

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
Has anyone who has gotten their delivery put a rooftop tent on their Bronco Sport yet? I am considering getting a tent, and I just noticed that it’s no longer an option on the configurator. It was when I first started looking at options. I’m wondering if the roof is too small.

Advertisement

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands
Has anyone who has gotten their delivery put a rooftop tent on their Bronco Sport yet? I am considering getting a tent, and I just noticed that it’s no longer an option on the configurator. It was when I first started looking at options. I’m wondering if the roof is too small.
Do a search in this forum about roof top tents. There have been concerns about weight esp due to the moonroof. Perhaps Ford discovered the problem with the tent being offered being too heavy. Or maybe it is availability. You will find a couple of suggested alternatives to the Yakima RTT that they used to have.

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
This is a BL + BL (sunroof). Don’t think they would be able to sell it like this if it was an issue.
D71388F9-0359-4F47-9EB0-60D62B4D230B.jpeg

OP

McBrideless

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
Do a search in this forum about roof top tents. There have been concerns about weight esp due to the moonroof. Perhaps Ford discovered the problem with the tent being offered being too heavy. Or maybe it is availability. You will find a couple of suggested alternatives to the Yakima RTT that they used to have.
Yeah, I saw it had been mentioned before. I’m mainly wondering if Ford has decided it’s a bad idea since they’ve stopped offering it.

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
I’m 99% sure it’s a B+P glitch. This was posted by a dealership 13 hr ago. If this option was removed on purpose for causing problems dealerships would probably be told not to sell it.
113AA521-DFCA-4EBF-8F52-D750B71D9A2A.jpeg

Bdub

First Edition
First Name
Bryan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
While a roof top tent seems appealing I would look for other options (compact trailer). This would be pain to pack up and go exploring on a moments notice. You're gas mileage is going to suffer as well. Most people will probably leave this on because it will be a pain to remove from a roof rack for storage.

dinglehead

Badlands
First Name
J
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
While a roof top tent seems appealing I would look for other options (compact trailer). This would be pain to pack up and go exploring on a moments notice. You're gas mileage is going to suffer as well. Most people will probably leave this on because it will be a pain to remove from a roof rack for storage.
They DO hurt gas mileage, and are difficult to get on/off the roof.

BUT... they are absurdly quick to pack up and setup.

Tom House

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
I have a RTT. Well, two, actually (I do gear reviews for work). The Thule (Tepui) and the Yakima. I'm sure the BS can easily handle the weight. The weight concerns you see are typically about the factory roof rack, not aftermarket racks meant to hold significant weight. People put RTTs on Priuses, for example. Anyway, I always thought RTTs were dumb, then I got one. Changed everything about how I camp. They're beyond luxurious when compared to sleeping on the ground, and they set up and stow away in minutes. I have no issues setting them up and stowing them away each day if I'm camping in diff spot each day. Plus, they're a snap to take on and off the car, provided you have a second set of hands. My wife and I can easily mount and unmount them. The Yakima is nice because it attaches to the roof racks with a clamps that you tighten by hand, versus the Thule which requires tools, but it's still really easy. Storage is a bigger issue than install.

Charley II

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX
I used the midsized Yakima RTT during a 2 month trip last summer and fall.
Plenty of pros and cons on either.
so I will just offer a little bit of advice I found when looking for the middle of the night relief.

Research serious hiker sites and you will find those folks who hike year 'round who dont like to get out of their sleeping bag, let alone their tent during winter or cold overnights. They have found plenty of solutions - for both for men and women.

this worked well for me.
https://www.amazon.com/Nalgene-Wide-Mouth-Cantene/dp/B07CL89HWQ

Willow

Big Bend
First Name
Gregg
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport - Kodiak Brown
Just wanted to reply this thread because the title also indicated “sleeping inside”. I folded down the rear seats and grabbed a sleeping bag and took an hour nap back there. It was in my heated garage. My thinking is it would be a great stress reliever at rest stops. I am 6’2” but also a side sleeper, but I was totally comfortable.

Bdub

First Edition
First Name
Bryan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I used the midsized Yakima RTT during a 2 month trip last summer and fall.
Plenty of pros and cons on either.
so I will just offer a little bit of advice I found when looking for the middle of the night relief.

Research serious hiker sites and you will find those folks who hike year 'round who dont like to get out of their sleeping bag, let alone their tent during winter or cold overnights. They have found plenty of solutions - for both for men and women.

this worked well for me.
https://www.amazon.com/Nalgene-Wide-Mouth-Cantene/dp/B07CL89HWQ
Forget camping, I could probably use this during my commute. Lol.

Advertisement