Badlands
First Name
Clare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...future owner of Bronco Sport
I'm considering these rack rails:
https://omacshop.com/collections/bronco-sport/products/roof-rack-cross-bars-luggage-carrier-black-adjustable-for-ford-bronco-sport-2021

And the iKamper Mini roof top tent here:
https://www.ikamper.com/products/skycamp-mini/

My BS Big Bend doesn't have a sun roof, but there's a bunch of roof top tent options out there. Check out dimensions, find what suits you. I prefer the hardshell type, so much easier than the zip on/velcro covers, especially if you're short.
Hmmm... thanks for the links!
Sponsored

Clarebear

Badlands
First Name
Clare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm considering these rack rails:
https://omacshop.com/collections/bronco-sport/products/roof-rack-cross-bars-luggage-carrier-black-adjustable-for-ford-bronco-sport-2021

And the iKamper Mini roof top tent here:
https://www.ikamper.com/products/skycamp-mini/

My BS Big Bend doesn't have a sun roof, but there's a bunch of roof top tent options out there. Check out dimensions, find what suits you. I prefer the hardshell type, so much easier than the zip on/velcro covers, especially if you're short.
I'm short, husband is not...

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
I'm short, husband is not...
I'm only 5'8", on a good day. I plan on a rtt for my big Bronco, whenever that comes in. I do not want to try messing with the zip on/velcro rtt covers. Along the sides and back is one thing but trying to reach high across the windshield, not gonna happen for me.

Clarebear

Badlands
First Name
Clare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I built a sleeping platform for myself, my gf, and our dog. haven't actually camped in it yet (that's about 2 weeks away), but it seems like it will do the trick. It stacks in the back so the back seats can be utilized.
Ford Bronco Sport Rooftop Tent or Sleeping Inside 20210823_175549

Ford Bronco Sport Rooftop Tent or Sleeping Inside 20210823_175546

Ford Bronco Sport Rooftop Tent or Sleeping Inside 20210822_165124
How big is the dog?!

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Do a search in this forum about roof top tents. There have been concerns about weight esp due to the moonroof. Perhaps Ford discovered the problem with the tent being offered being too heavy. Or maybe it is availability. You will find a couple of suggested alternatives to the Yakima RTT that they used to have.
Here's a blurb about roof capacity. Evidently a 600 lb. static load is okay, which means two average size people should be fine.

https://www.sarchionefordlincoln.com/2021-bronco-sport.html

Roof-Rack Capacity
On the move, the Bronco Sport roof-rack structure can handle up to 150-lb. dynamic load with the standard steel roof. In order to avoid damp ground or pesky critters, the high load capacity also gives you the ability to elevate campsite, holding up to a 600-lb static load.

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands
Here's a blurb about roof capacity. Evidently a 600 lb. static load is okay, which means two average size people should be fine.

https://www.sarchionefordlincoln.com/2021-bronco-sport.html

Roof-Rack Capacity
On the move, the Bronco Sport roof-rack structure can handle up to 150-lb. dynamic load with the standard steel roof. In order to avoid damp ground or pesky critters, the high load capacity also gives you the ability to elevate campsite, holding up to a 600-lb static load.
It is 150 pounds dynamic without a moonroof, only 100 pounds with a moonroof.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
zero concerns with ours. both 6 feet tall and 175lbs. roof top tent didnt move a millimeter on our 3,000km road trip. it felt extremely sturdy up there.

Milehifireguy

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Big Bend
Can you show it all packed up? Curious how small it packs down to.
I built a sleeping platform for myself, my gf, and our dog. haven't actually camped in it yet (that's about 2 weeks away), but it seems like it will do the trick. It stacks in the back so the back seats can be utilized.

Ford Bronco Sport Rooftop Tent or Sleeping Inside 20210823_175546

Ford Bronco Sport Rooftop Tent or Sleeping Inside 20210822_165124

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Although they look kinda neat... what is the actual appeal on a rtt? It cant e any more comfortable than the ground .... im just cuious as to what the pros are i guess

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
Although they look kinda neat... what is the actual appeal on a rtt? It cant e any more comfortable than the ground .... im just cuious as to what the pros are i guess
For me, it's quick setup/take down, compared to a ground tent. Off the ground, away from critters and creatures. Built-in mattress. More conducive to overlanding/car camping - camp a night in a location, head out and explore the next day, camp in another location. Still can be used as a base camp if you choose. To each their own, but that's my plan.

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
For me, it's quick setup/take down, compared to a ground tent. Off the ground, away from critters and creatures. Built-in mattress. More conducive to overlanding/car camping - camp a night in a location, head out and explore the next day, camp in another location. Still can be used as a base camp if you choose. To each their own, but that's my plan.
Ive been considering micro camper or teadrop... built a boat... figure i coul d build a little minimal camper but i imagine if youre looking to get WAY away from things ... youre alwqys gonna be limited to a tent... whether its on the roof or elsewhere.... main problem down here about 8 mnths of the year is the heat...

I love the idea ... just dosnt seem as practical for me as it does for others i suppose.

DISCOLEG

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I feel like a roof top tent is giving excuse for bears to walk on the hood

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
Ive been considering micro camper or teadrop... built a boat... figure i coul d build a little minimal camper but i imagine if youre looking to get WAY away from things ... youre alwqys gonna be limited to a tent... whether its on the roof or elsewhere.... main problem down here about 8 mnths of the year is the heat...

I love the idea ... just dosnt seem as practical for me as it does for others i suppose.
I've considered a pull-behind, teardrops are so cool. But I want to be all self-contained, want to explore forest roads and the trails less traveled, yes get far away from things. I would struggle with a trailer attached.

I also want to explore the southwest (I'm in MN lived in AZ my parents are still there) and yes I've wondered about camping in the heat. So far my plan is to explore the north and higher elevations during the hot months and maybe spend the cooler months in the south. Suppose no matter where you go 95 degrees is still hot, especially in the humidity.

I've researched heating and cooling devices but have not decided on anything yet. This overlanding/car camping thing is new to me.

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
I feel like a roof top tent is giving excuse for bears to walk on the hood
Suppose it's not impossible. But I imagine you'd feel the vehicle shake, should wake you up, have that bear/animal spray ready. Take a bear longer to get to your rtt, as opposed to a ground tent.

I'm looking into motion detection lights/trail cams, movement outside to activate lights out and in the tent to wake you up... Most of the time I'll be camping by myself so I guess I'll need all the helpful devices I can get. I'm a rookie at this.
Sponsored