moserp624

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport, Mazda CX-5
Is it possible to retrofit Ford CoPilot 360 Assist+? Is it just a software upgrade/unlock OR do additional sensors have to be installed as well?
Sponsored

wilbur_xmas

Outer Banks
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
You are going to need the additional sensors that fill that little square in the lower grille area, as well as any new brackets to hold the sensors, new bumper cover, and possibly new cameras for behind the mirror in addition to the programmed Sync system. I'm willing to bet it's going to be much cheaper to pay that $795 option, or sell and rebuy with the option, before being a guinea pig and throwing parts at it hoping you can unlock the features.

jamie1073

Badlands
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
The vehicle without 360+ is missing the front radar sensor as well as whatever hardware, module, controls that sensor and the rest of the system. I doubt it is as simple as adding the sensor, wiring and a software update. I am not sure if the camera near the rear view mirror is any different that the standard one so that may need to be changed if it is as well.

OP
OP
moserp624

moserp624

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the responses. Definitely didn't think it would be a simple upgrade anyway. Maybe something down the road to do with enough time, money, planning, and research. But the BS is also the most advanced car technologically I've ever owned. So I don't need all the bells and whistles.

I pick up my Outer Banks tomorrow. No CoPilot Assist +. Thought the upgrade down the road to get lane centering would be nice but definitely not needed.

If I get more research (part numbers, prices interferences, complexity, etc), then I will update here.

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
Thanks for the responses. Definitely didn't think it would be a simple upgrade anyway. Maybe something down the road to do with enough time, money, planning, and research. But the BS is also the most advanced car technologically I've ever owned. So I don't need all the bells and whistles.

I pick up my Outer Banks tomorrow. No CoPilot Assist +. Thought the upgrade down the road to get lane centering would be nice but definitely not needed.

If I get more research (part numbers, prices interferences, complexity, etc), then I will update here.
LOL...It cannot be done period.

thesavo

Outer Banks
First Name
savo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Edge SEL, 2014 Patriot, 2021 Bronco Sport OB
I mean, anything CAN be done, but SHOULD it? Also, the installer recognizes that they are voiding any warranty and take their own life into their hands by retrofitting technology that CONTROLS THE STEERING AND ACCELERATION of their vehicle. So you probably shouldn't be doing this. Why not continue this for educational reasons.

Disclaimer: do this at your own risk.

That said: If you look at it in Features, what part of the 360 PLUS are you looking for?
- Adaptive cruise with Lane-keep
-Evasive Steering
- voice activated touch screen with pinch-to zoom nav?

You may already have The needed throttle and brake control and need only the front mounted Cruise control Module. The wiring diagram and service manual show it as fairly simple.

Last edited:

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
I mean, anything CAN be done, but SHOULD it? Also, the installer recognizes that they are voiding any warranty and take their own life into their hands by retrofitting technology that CONTROLS THE STEERING AND ACCELERATION of their vehicle. So you probably shouldn't be doing this. Why not continue this for educational reasons.

That said: If you look at it in Features, what part of the 360 PLUS are you looking for?
-Evasive Steering

You may already have The needed throttle and brake control and need only the front mounted Cruise control Module. The wiring diagram and service manual show it as fairly simple.
:facepalm:

OP
OP
moserp624

moserp624

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

-Evasive Steering

Absolutely agree with the fact that doing this in my own garage would be voiding warranty. Additionally due to the software integration I definitely don't think this could be done without Ford involvement. I'd imagine it would have to be done with a Ford certified installer. I am really looking to better understand how the system works (what additional hardware is needed).

As far as desired features, it would be adaptive cruise control with lane centering. Like you said it would be the additional front mounted sensor as well as the appropriately wired buttons on the steering wheel (or auxiliary buttons as an option). I haven't seen wiring diagram to verify simplicity. Where have you found electrical schematics?

The BS without 360 plus can already identify when you are drifting from a lane and take steering action to correct it if software enabled. Lane centering is not that much further of a feature.

dfwplaneguy

First Edition
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Absolutely agree with the fact that doing this in my own garage would be voiding warranty. Additionally due to the software integration I definitely don't think this could be done without Ford involvement. I'd imagine it would have to be done with a Ford certified installer. I am really looking to better understand how the system works (what additional hardware is needed).

As far as desired features, it would be adaptive cruise control with lane centering. Like you said it would be the additional front mounted sensor as well as the appropriately wired buttons on the steering wheel (or auxiliary buttons as an option). I haven't seen wiring diagram to verify simplicity. Where have you found electrical schematics?

The BS without 360 plus can already identify when you are drifting from a lane and take steering action to correct it if software enabled. Lane centering is not that much further of a feature.
I personally think (assume) that the install will not be bad. If you can find a donor/wrecked vehicle with the sensor module, I'd bet the wiring is already there. Forscan can then be used to turn the features on. Hardest part would be the steering wheel IMHO. It may be possible that the buttons can be added to the infotainment screen with forscan as well.

I purchased a BSFE with the incorrect belief that it had 360+ assist, which is does not. Kicking myself for that mistake when I could have gotten a BL+BL and 360+ in a less desirable color for less money.

Reactions: Jrl

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Is it possible to retrofit Ford CoPilot 360 Assist+? Is it just a software upgrade/unlock OR do additional sensors have to be installed as well?
There is a thread on the MustangS550 forum regarding this topic. A user over there successfully added adaptive cruise to his car by installing the missing radar sensor, swapping the steering wheel to one with the correct buttons, and making some changes to the software via Forscan. You may not get all the features you get if it installed from the factory, but I'm betting you can get some if you're willing to do all the legwork.

paulwestski

First Edition
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 F350 PSD, 2005 Excursion PSD
Will be able to add nav soon, but that's it.
How can the Nav be added?
We ordered my wife a First Edition and I was very unhappy to find out that it did not have Nav.
I have ForScan and am patiently awaiting to learn how to enable nav
Sponsored